Bow access on Alaska ships

quack2

I just found out that Celebrity now limits access to the bow of the ship to upper end cabin occupants.  Does Holland still allow bow access to anyone (when the bow is open)?  I was 50/50 this year between Celebrity and Holland.  Had I known Celebrity has closed the bow all but the hoity toitys, I might have gone with Holland instead.

Can't imagine viewing Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay from places other than the bow, especially if trying to get photos.

7 minutes ago, quack2 said:

Can't imagine viewing Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay from places other than the bow, especially if trying to get photos.

I prefer higher forward decks.  Fewer heads in the way for all angles.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, quack2 said:

I just found out that Celebrity now limits access to the bow of the ship to upper end cabin occupants

Not sure about upper end cabin guests, but Celebrity has done this for a number of years providing these bow visits when sailing to their guests with the higher(est) status in their Celebrity Club past passenger program.  Even then, it was by invitation only and not something that could be done each sailaway.

2 hours ago, catl331 said:

I prefer higher forward decks.  Fewer heads in the way for all angles.

Agree wholeheartedly EXCEPT in Glacier Bay.  Prefer the bow there because you get a more “surrounding” feel of glaciers imo.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:11 PM, Copper10-8 said:

The bow is always open for all pax, captain's discretion, inside the Panama Canal, and while Glacier sightseeing in AK

In Norway in 2017 on the Koningsdam, the captain opened the bow often to view the fjords as we were sailing out.  I spent many evenings on the bow with my camera.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dfish said:

In Norway in 2017 on the Koningsdam, the captain opened the bow often to view the fjords as we were sailing out.  I spent many evenings on the bow with my camera.

Thank you Ma'am! I would imagine the bow would be open inside the Chilean fjords, although I have never had the pleasure to sail there

42 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thank you Ma'am! I would imagine the bow would be open inside the Chilean fjords, although I have never had the pleasure to sail there

Well, you have to sail there.  I don't remember the bow being open when I did, but it may have been.  However, you do need to do a South American cruise around the Horn someday.  It is spectacular.  The bow was open when we were in Antarctica.  

Antarctica Day 2 Part 1 085.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our Panama canal transit on HAL Volendam the bow was open the whole transit. I do not remember the bow being closed on the other parts of the cruise except in times of high winds. Most of the Celebrity fleet have much higher passenger capacity counts than HAL ships and may be why they have to limit the numbers on the bow.