Traveling alone with child, different last name

I have the same issue. Will be travelling with my son who has a different last name than me.

From the fine print pages that pri t with your boarding passes: Carnival recommends having a signed letter of permission from the non travelling parent. It isn't required, just recommended. (It is required if you aredebarking in Mexico.)

For me personally, I plan on taking a copy of my custody order tucked away with my travel documents, just in case. I also went ahead and got his dad to sign a letter.

It is my understnading that they don't usually check, but always better to be safe than sorry.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 2

I travel with my daughter alone who has a different last name.  She travels with a passport and I also get a signed letter from her dad and bring her birth certificate.  With that being said...I have never had to show anything other than her passport to board or disembark the ship!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonesCruiser1978 said:

I am a divorced Mom and my last name does not match my daughter's.  If I were to take her on a cruise alone, what will I need to do?

I travel with my 13 dd all the time.  We have different last names.   I never have brought a letter, she does have a passport card and I bring her birth certificate to show I am her mom if ever asked.

Also someone else above mentioned that you would need a letter from the other parent when debarking in Mexico.   I have never ever been asked for one, and we have been to mexico several times on cruises.   I believe that rule is for land vacations to mexico.

We just came back from our 10th cruise last week....no issues at all.

Edited by bingomamma19

Debarking in mexico means getting off the ship for good, not just for the day. Even then they never ask or care. I took my 2 teen daughters and was never asked for a letter. Carnival sells cruises, they don't mediate family custody disputes. Unless you are dragging on a kid that is screaming " I want my mommy and daddy" you won't have a problem. All you need is their proper identification- birth certificate  or passport etc.

Edited by n6uqqq

The issue may come up when you return to USCB at the end of the cruise.  Carnival really doesn't care, but Customs may require some extra screening/questions, depends on their mood.  A father and underage different name daughter might raise more suspicions, but the OP should have adequate paperwork to show Customs if asked.

Less likely, if the daughter gets hurt or sick, the OP should have paperwork showing she is the legal guardian/mom and can make medical decisions for her.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, evandbob said:

The issue may come up when you return to USCB at the end of the cruise.  Carnival really doesn't care, but Customs may require some extra screening/questions, depends on their mood.  A father and underage different name daughter might raise more suspicions, but the OP should have adequate paperwork to show Customs if asked.

Less likely, if the daughter gets hurt or sick, the OP should have paperwork showing she is the legal guardian/mom and can make medical decisions for her.

Customs did pull my younger daughter, 13, aside and ask her if I was her father. Other than that, no issues. I would guess if you come back with a child too young to  verbalize, you will be subject to much more scrutiny.

I have a slightly different issue. I am taking my god daughter on vacation with us. Her mother has passed and my uncle is legal guardian. From my understanding, I need a notarized letter from my uncle stating that he gives permission for her to come on trip with us. Correct me if I am wrong please.

50 minutes ago, bigvin21 said:

I have a slightly different issue. I am taking my god daughter on vacation with us. Her mother has passed and my uncle is legal guardian. From my understanding, I need a notarized letter from my uncle stating that he gives permission for her to come on trip with us. Correct me if I am wrong please.

I am no expert in this area-----but when we have brought our granddaughters on a cruise we have always gotten a signed, notarized document giving us permission to bring them and also giving us permission to bring them to medical care if the need arises. We have never been asked to show this -- but better safe than sorry. Here is a sample of a document, there are many others available on line.

child permission.jpg

We took a family friends child with us on our last cruise.  We had the parents write a letter giving us consent to take him out of Country and to give Medical Care if needed.  We were never asked for these letters but it made me feel more comfortable having them in case we were asked for further documentation.

2 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Customs did pull my younger daughter, 13, aside and ask her if I was her father. Other than that, no issues. I would guess if you come back with a child too young to  verbalize, you will be subject to much more scrutiny.

My son said he never saw me before in his life. Very funny. Good thing we look just alike.

3 hours ago, bigvin21 said:

In this type of case...yes I would bring along a notarized letter.     Again, you may never be asked, but since this is not just a parent bringing their child, I would take extra precautions

5 hours ago, bingomamma19 said:

In this type of case...yes I would bring along a notarized letter.     Again, you may never be asked, but since this is not just a parent bringing their child, I would take extra precautions

The document in Post #9 is a good choice for anyone taking a child on a cruise because it combines the consent to travel and the medical authorization. 

Just because I didn't need a letter does not mean you won't.  It isn't a problem until it is a problem.  Do you really want to delay medical care to someone else's child because you don't have the ability to make medical decisions?   

I travel with all of our passports, plus the kids birth certificates and an authorization letter. If someone else has them, they have those documents plus the example above of temporary guardianship and medical consent.  This is our first trip to Mexico, but I've been asked 75% of the time to produce those documents for Canada. So it can depend on where you are going.

The name itself isn't important legally, otherwise a stranger who happens to have the same last name would have more rights than you.  Technically you will need a letter from the other parent even if you have the same name, or you can prove you have sole custody.  But normally they don't scrutinize unless they have a reason to. 

Edited by mdwcruises

We have done 4 cruises with our daughter, she has a diff last name. We have her passport, and dont have a letter from her dad, and have never been asked or had probs. 

Last year we took our niece, we did take a letter from her parents but no one gave us a second look. 

8 hours ago, canadia-L said:

I travel with all of our passports, plus the kids birth certificates and an authorization letter. If someone else has them, they have those documents plus the example above of temporary guardianship and medical consent.  This is our first trip to Mexico, but I've been asked 75% of the time to produce those documents for Canada. So it can depend on where you are going.

Land crossing are a whole different beast. I am guessing you had to furnish evidence on land crossings which have different rules.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 8:41 AM, n6uqqq said:

Land crossing are a whole different beast. I am guessing you had to furnish evidence on land crossings which have different rules.

Actually we've gone by land, air and sea. Sometimes asked, sometimes not.  I believe they are always supposed to ask. But, it's Canada, not Mexico.  We didn't have to produce anything at all. Just passports to board the ship and at the end of the cruise. Easiest thing ever.

We take a niece and always bring a signed and notarized travel affidavit signed by both her parents. We always show this when r with her birth certificate when boarding and disembarking at the home port.. They have never actually asked for it but we feel better safe than sorry. Also, we know we might need it in case of an emergency and have to get medical care or fly home.