Heart Attack on Board Eclipse in South America

johhnnyt

On 4/15/2019 at 12:45 PM, Fishkillbill said:

Do other cruise lines not help passengers in the manner outlined here? 

We were on Royal Princess when the captain announced there was a passenger on board who needed a blood transfusion, asap. He gave the blood type and asked for volunteers to go to the medical center to be screened. Within hours, he announced that the patient had received blood from another passenger and was stable. He would be off loaded in the a.m. at the next port. So yes, other lines help passengers in need. I have no idea if Princess rose to Celebrity's level of service. 

From time to time, I wonder what would happen on a cruise if.......It's so nice to read these positive stories. OP, I wish your travel companion a speedy recovery.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:11 AM, Ravbo said:

I will also be researching Med Jet Assist.  As I understand, if hospitalized and stable, YOU make decisions on evacuation (not insurance company) as to where and when (ie back to your home country, city etc.).

Understanding this insurance BEFORE you need it is imperative.  I MISTAKE COULD BE VERY EXPENSIVE.

Safe Travels,

Bob

Med Jet Assist is a great program we have purchased it for years.  For the two ofus the premium is under $600 total for a TWO year policy....well worth the cost.  We have friends who did not have evacuation coverage and wound up having to pay over $100,000 to get home a few years ago.... we won't travel without Med Jet coverage.

Edited by Gracie115
  • Thanks 1

We've had Med Jet for a few years and it is worth every penny for the peace of mind. When I tripped and fell over a raised object on the floor of the gangway and smacked my head a few months ago, I have to say that one of my first thoughts was "thank goodness we have Med Jet"  (after a few less appropriate things went through my head 🙂).

The nice thing is that it covers anything over 150 miles from your home, so that we can get transported home even on shorter trips, if needed.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 10:35 PM, Newbury newbie said:

So, after 2 days in Aqaba My parents and Liliana were flying to Athens to rejoin the ship before sailing on to Rome (they weren’t going to give up their free drinks package that easily!!). 

My mother was so thankful for Liliana’s help and support and would have been lost without her. So another well done story for X.

This is such a STRONG testament for the Celebrity team. I had no idea that they would assign someone to stay behind and tend to the family of the sick or injured passenger. That is such a financial burden for the company and says tons about how they feel about their revenue base. We can all smile with this one. Now, about the dry limes I was once served with my martini..... 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 12:49 PM, johhnnyt said:

It would be great is someone could direct us to a clear source of info on this important subject.

GeoBlue is our medical insurance of choice. Fortunately we've not had to use it, but when doing price comparisons we found that the best bang for the buck (Higher levels of coverage) were achieved by purchasing 'per trip' coverage as opposed to an annual policy. So, for two trips this year it will be $312. The annual cost would have been $268 with lower coverages, which might result in some out of pocket. We paid the extra $44 for the much higher levels of coverage.

Now, GeoBlue may not be available, depending on where you live. For example GeoBlue is not available in Maryland, but they will direct you to a company that can provide coverage. Why that is, I don't know.

In any case give GeoBlue a close look.

26 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

GeoBlue is our medical insurance of choice. Fortunately we've not had to use it, but when doing price comparisons we found that the best bang for the buck (Higher levels of coverage) were achieved by purchasing 'per trip' coverage as opposed to an annual policy. So, for two trips this year it will be $312. The annual cost would have been $268 with lower coverages, which might result in some out of pocket. We paid the extra $44 for the much higher levels of coverage.

Now, GeoBlue may not be available, depending on where you live. For example GeoBlue is not available in Maryland, but they will direct you to a company that can provide coverage. Why that is, I don't know.

We also use Geo Blue but we do the annual cost which was actually just under $400 but coverage is great.  But we have Med Jet for emergency evacuation coverage. 

As a old sailor if you want to get out of somewhere and can move around even slightly book first class and you can get home.

they will be there for you 

not med vac, but I can tell you it works 

4 minutes ago, A Sixth? said:

As a old sailor if you want to get out of somewhere and can move around even slightly book first class and you can get home.

they will be there for you 

not med vac, but I can tell you it works 

well true...but if you have several broken bones that's not going to work.....

On 4/15/2019 at 12:45 PM, Fishkillbill said:

Do other cruise lines not help passengers in the manner outlined here? 

My parents were on a Carnival cruise with my in laws a few years ago. My dad had a massive heart attack in the middle of the night, he actually only survived because of how quick the time was to medical attention. They really went above and beyond on Carnival. They allowed my mom and my in laws free phone calls back home for the remainder of the cruise, they connected us to the cruise ship at no cost. My dad had to get medivaced

by the coast guard off the shop, and a nurse from carnival was with them until they got to the hospital in Florida. They went from the ship to a hospital in Turks and Caicos, and then a medical flight to Florida where he ultimately ended up having surgery. And fortunately they had travel insurance so they got reimbursed, but they had to pay upfront for the hospital in Turks and Caicos, as well as for the plane to Florida. But the arrangements were all taken care of by Carnival. 

5 hours ago, K12Guy said:

I checked a couple of years ago and it wasn't available in VT, but because of this thread being reignited, I checked today and it is now available! Thanks!

Thanks for the wonderful thread. As someone in the healthcare profession it actually never dawned on me to check for placement of AEDs onboard but will definitely do so in the future. This story is yet another reason to love Celebrity. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 8:33 AM, Marelaine said:

We were on Royal Princess when the captain announced there was a passenger on board who needed a blood transfusion, asap. He gave the blood type and asked for volunteers to go to the medical center to be screened. Within hours, he announced that the patient had received blood from another passenger and was stable. He would be off loaded in the a.m. at the next port. So yes, other lines help passengers in need. I have no idea if Princess rose to Celebrity's level of service. 

From time to time, I wonder what would happen on a cruise if.......It's so nice to read these positive stories. OP, I wish your travel companion a speedy recovery.

I don't doubt your story but I find it mind-boggling to believe that they would be able to do this.

1. They have a way to type and cross match blood on board? It's more than just ABO and Rh (+/-) testing, there are lots of other antigens that if not properly crossmatched can cause life threatening reactions.

2. They have the equipment to remove blood from one person and transfuse it into another? You have to keep fresh blood warm and constantly moving as you take it out from a person, lest it clot.

3. They would have had to transfuse whole blood (i.e. with all the antibodies and white cells etc) which is much more risky than just transfusing red blood cells as is done in modern medicine. Not to mention it would not be screened for diseases like HIV, hepatitis, etc.

This is a terrifying thing for me to contemplate as a physician, this passenger must have been in truly dire straits for on-board medical to think that a direct unscreened blood transfusion was their best option. That they received the transfusion and then were 'stable' for transfer to hospital . . . I just can't think of a scenario where that would happen but ???

On 5/19/2019 at 2:14 PM, soozles said:

They went from the ship to a hospital in Turks and Caicos, and then a medical flight to Florida where he ultimately ended up having surgery. And fortunately they had travel insurance so they got reimbursed, but they had to pay upfront for the hospital in Turks and Caicos, as well as for the plane to Florida. But the arrangements were all taken care of by Carnival. 

This is an example of the benefits of Geo Blue and other premium travel insurance policies where they pay the costs up front so you don't have to work to get reimbursed.

Thank-you very much,  Johhnnyt for posting! 

Bravo to all your group for promptly notifying Celebrity personnel and for initiating CPR.

Bravo also to Celebrity for the medical support and also for accompanying the family likely challenged by the event. It is really nice to see and reassuring to hear, that the cruise line did not just left the family on the pier to fend for themselves! I am convinced that the sum of these actions was beneficial/life saving for the man and his family. I wish him the best for a prompt return to health.

This event and actions are also food for thoughts for people who comment on cutbacks, regarding food, shows or beverages. Safety and ensuring the well being of passengers when things go unplanned comes at a cost for the cruise line.

Most of our focus is based on elements we see, hear, or enjoy; however, I am sure the family really appreciated the normally invisible plans and measures available for this type of exceptional scenario!

Bravo and thank-you Celebrity!

(P.s. On another website, in June 2019, the story of a man having experienced a heart attack while on a cruise with a different cruise line in the Caribbean was published. Unfortunately, the man and his family did not seem to depict the same level of support by that cruise line. The outcome was sadly not positive for the man or the support provided to the family.)

23 hours ago, japlanet said:

I don't doubt your story but I find it mind-boggling to believe that they would be able to do this.

1. They have a way to type and cross match blood on board? It's more than just ABO and Rh (+/-) testing, there are lots of other antigens that if not properly crossmatched can cause life threatening reactions.

2. They have the equipment to remove blood from one person and transfuse it into another? You have to keep fresh blood warm and constantly moving as you take it out from a person, lest it clot.

3. They would have had to transfuse whole blood (i.e. with all the antibodies and white cells etc) which is much more risky than just transfusing red blood cells as is done in modern medicine. Not to mention it would not be screened for diseases like HIV, hepatitis, etc.

This is a terrifying thing for me to contemplate as a physician, this passenger must have been in truly dire straits for on-board medical to think that a direct unscreened blood transfusion was their best option. That they received the transfusion and then were 'stable' for transfer to hospital . . . I just can't think of a scenario where that would happen but ???

I, too,  have been on a Princess ship when the call for blood donors went out. One thing they asked for was a donor card. Other than blood type and Rh, I don’t know what other information is on there. But I agree that it’s risky, but if I were the patient and it was questionable blood or die on the spot, I think I know which I would choose.

23 hours ago, japlanet said:

Or course the ideal situation is have the most sophisticated lab tests.  But stuff does happen on ships where desperate physicians must do what is necessary just like when I was in the military serving in a war zone.  Consider a cruise that is several days distant from any possible evacuation with a patient for whom a transfusion is truly a matter of life and death.  This has happened on a few of our many cruises, and like was posted, a call went out (over the ship's PA system) for blood donors of a specific Type....with "blood donor cards."  Is this ideal?  Of course not.  But if there are no other options it is certainly reasonable.

Hank 

On 5/19/2019 at 7:33 AM, Marelaine said:

We were on Royal Princess when the captain announced there was a passenger on board who needed a blood transfusion, asap. He gave the blood type and asked for volunteers to go to the medical center to be screened.  .....

A similar event happened on an Eclipse TA several years ago.  An announcement was made that a passenger needed a blood transfusion, the specific blood type was mentioned, and volunteers were asked to report to the medical center.  I don't remember what specific day that was but we diverted into one of the Azores (two or three days later as I remember) so that the passenger could evacuated.  Certainly not ideal, but when a ship is in the middle of an ocean I guess they do what they have to do.