Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
quandrea

Booking on board

Recommended Posts

We are booked for Alaska in August. I’m eyeing Norway for the end of August 2020. Is there a benefit to waiting until we are on board to book? We are one star Mariners due to sailing with Carnival years and years ago. This Alaska cruise will be our first HAL trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is some OBC associated with booking on board.  Keep your eye on prices as it may be advantageous to book beforehand, depending on the promo at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do book a future cruise while on your Alaskan cruise, ask for refundable deposits.  That way if there is a drop in price for your cruise, you may be able to get it.

 

By booking while on the cruise, you can get some shipboard credit -- the amount depends on the cabin category and length of cruise.

 

Then when you get home, within 60 days, ask for the SPM (I think that is the code -- someone will correct me if I am wrong) and you will get some more shipboard credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thank you. I guess there is no harm in booking now and comparing once onboard. We need two connecting cabins so booking early is usually essential. 

Edited by quandrea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

If you do book a future cruise while on your Alaskan cruise, ask for refundable deposits.  That way if there is a drop in price for your cruise, you may be able to get it.

 

By booking while on the cruise, you can get some shipboard credit -- the amount depends on the cabin category and length of cruise.

 

Then when you get home, within 60 days, ask for the SPM (I think that is the code -- someone will correct me if I am wrong) and you will get some more shipboard credit.

ZPM or VPM sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just got off the Rotterdam and we did not want to book a cruise, however they had a Future Cruise Deposit available for purchase.  Pay $100.00 per person and receive an OBC per person.  Deposit is good for 4 years, and deposit is fully refundable.  We prefer a Verandah, so we paid total $200 and will receive $100 OBC.  OBC depends on type of Cabin and length of cruise.

 

They will automatically send to your TA unless you prefer they don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CM1984 said:

We just got off the Rotterdam and we did not want to book a cruise, however they had a Future Cruise Deposit available for purchase.  Pay $100.00 per person and receive an OBC per person.  Deposit is good for 4 years, and deposit is fully refundable.  We prefer a Verandah, so we paid total $200 and will receive $100 OBC.  OBC depends on type of Cabin and length of cruise.

 

They will automatically send to your TA unless you prefer they don't.

Book within 60 days of getting off the ship and use code ZPM - it will double your OBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Book within 60 days of getting off the ship and use code ZPM - it will double your OBC.

So I just call up HAL and add this code to my booking made onboard to double the OBC?  Or can I book when I get home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, quandrea said:

So I just call up HAL and add this code to my booking made onboard to double the OBC?  Or can I book when I get home?

If you book onboard, you already got the double OBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

If you book onboard, you already got the double OBC.

It is just for the people who bought FCDs (Future Cruise Deposits).  Its HAL's way of equalizing the buying onboard and FCD promotions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, quandrea said:

We are booked for Alaska in August. I’m eyeing Norway for the end of August 2020. Is there a benefit to waiting until we are on board to book? We are one star Mariners due to sailing with Carnival years and years ago. This Alaska cruise will be our first HAL trip. 

Based on the current trend of cutting fares after final payment and loosing deposits if you want to re-price a fare that has fallen   or change a cabin class....    NO.        I would  watch the fare over time...and  hold off  as long as you see fares falling.    This is the HAL  business model.       The only advantage, for which you may pay dearly, is you get to pick the exact cabin.       My suggestion it to use a good travel agent  to start.    You have little negotiating or benefits to gain if you book through HAL to start with.  even if you transfer to an Agent.  The Agent will have less bargaining  power in that case 

With all the cruises going on  it is a buyers market now..... dont loose that advantage    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Based on the current trend of cutting fares after final payment and loosing deposits if you want to re-price a fare that has fallen   or change a cabin class....    NO.        I would  watch the fare over time...and  hold off  as long as you see fares falling.    This is the HAL  business model.       The only advantage, for which you may pay dearly, is you get to pick the exact cabin.       My suggestion it to use a good travel agent  to start.    You have little negotiating or benefits to gain if you book through HAL to start with.  even if you transfer to an Agent.  The Agent will have less bargaining  power in that case 

With all the cruises going on  it is a buyers market now..... dont loose that advantage    

correct.😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booking on board is fun and exciting as you sail into your holiday at sea.  Be sure to make an appointment with the Future Cruise Planner, and keep it.  She/He will be VERY busy.  Show up with a cocktail in hand and enjoy the fun of booking your next dream getaway!  

The benefits: sometimes a great price and extra perks not available other places (we booked our 2018 TransPacific on board an earlier cruise and got a GREAT deal!) so, it doesn't hurt to book on board.  Usually the deposit is less as well, and can be rolled over to another cruise if you cannot sail as planned (S America now instead of China as we booked on the TP).  

 

The thing about cruise deposits:  If you are going to be going on a cruise ANYWAY, why not book one while on board.  The deposit is transferable to another itinerary if you have to change, and as I said, its fun.  So, order that Bloody mary, Mai Tai or Martini and enjoy the fun of booking your next HAL Cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After getting stiffed by two consultants we gave up.   We stopped by the first one at the desk and she had a customer.  Excused herself and asked us to come back in 10 minutes.   We were very interested in talking to her and watched the time carefully.  Actually went back in about 8 minutes and the desk was closed and she was gone.   The second one we set a specific time to meet with her.  Waited 15 minutes past the agreed time and no show.   On our way back to our cabin we saw her in the Ocean Bar.   Never again.   

Edited by Randyk47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

After getting stiffed by two consultants we gave up.   We stopped by the first one at the desk and she had a customer.  Excused herself and asked us to come back in 10 minutes.   We were very interested in talking to her and watched the time carefully.  Actually went back in about 8 minutes and the desk was closed and she was gone.   The second one we set a specific time to meet with her.  Waited 15 minutes past the agreed time and no show.   On our way back to our cabin we saw her in the Ocean Bar.   Never again.   

I hope you let HAL know. . . . . sorry for the bad experience.  Some employees just don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OhioLair said:

I hope you let HAL know. . . . . sorry for the bad experience.  Some employees just don't get it.

 

We’ve only left negative by name comments on 18 or so cruises on HAL and the second FCC was one of them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The deposit is refundable  and transferable. In other words if you do cancel the booking you can still use the refundable deposit on another cruise for up to 4 years. The OBC is usually twice what you would get booking off ship.   

 

Now for the the bad news.   Every time I book onboard they seem to rush you and I end up changing the booking.  Not a big deal really but just making you aware. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, OhioLair said:

Booking on board is fun and exciting as you sail into your holiday at sea.  Be sure to make an appointment with the Future Cruise Planner, and keep it.  She/He will be VERY busy.  Show up with a cocktail in hand and enjoy the fun of booking your next dream getaway!  

The benefits: sometimes a great price and extra perks not available other places (we booked our 2018 TransPacific on board an earlier cruise and got a GREAT deal!) so, it doesn't hurt to book on board.  Usually the deposit is less as well, and can be rolled over to another cruise if you cannot sail as planned (S America now instead of China as we booked on the TP).  

 

The thing about cruise deposits:  If you are going to be going on a cruise ANYWAY, why not book one while on board.  The deposit is transferable to another itinerary if you have to change, and as I said, its fun.  So, order that Bloody mary, Mai Tai or Martini and enjoy the fun of booking your next HAL Cruise!

 

HAL  must love you....... In my experience, no HAL agent ashore or at sea has been  even close to giving me the perks and the price that I can get ashore with my travel agent.....  I have even asked for the perks  my Travel Agent gives  and the HAL agents always say..."if you want those, you have to get them from your agent... we  wont and cant".

Those drinks..... may be very very expensive in the long run....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke with an agent today. Her price was exactly the same as HAL’s online price. What’s the point?  I can book with HAL and control my reservation. Maybe I need to find a better agent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, quandrea said:

I spoke with an agent today. Her price was exactly the same as HAL’s online price. What’s the point?  I can book with HAL and control my reservation. Maybe I need to find a better agent?

You absolutely do. Should be easy to get at least an 8% discount or likely more in the form of cruise credit or rebate check. Check with a major big box store or well known cruise agency website. It is not hard to find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, quandrea said:

I spoke with an agent today. Her price was exactly the same as HAL’s online price. What’s the point?  I can book with HAL and control my reservation. Maybe I need to find a better agent?

 

I am an educated shopper and I have almost always gotten a better deal booking directly with HAL.  HAL offers private fares and I have never found anyone who can beat those prices.  

 

WRT booking onboard:  I have seen some really great prices offered on new itineraries that did nothing but increase in price over time.  I have regrets about not committing to those sailings when I could.  You will receive a Future Cruise mailing with promotional itineraries.  If pricing looks appealing it is probably a good deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not love me booking onboard but due purchase FCC and they are good for

4 years.   This way I can book it under a promotion I like or decreased price and still get the onboard credit.  You get twice the OBC if you book within 90 days after you are home.

 

For me thee explore 4 does not have any value.  When they are running the explore 4 promotion the price of the cruise more.  This is me and does not apply to every one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

 

HAL  must love you....... In my experience, no HAL agent ashore or at sea has been  even close to giving me the perks and the price that I can get ashore with my travel agent.....  I have even asked for the perks  my Travel Agent gives  and the HAL agents always say..."if you want those, you have to get them from your agent... we  wont and cant".

Those drinks..... may be very very expensive in the long run....

90% of the time we book onboard, and make sure the listing consultant KNOWS OUR TRAVEL AGENT INFO so they get credit, and when we get home (or by email before) I contact Anton (our TAgent) and he arranges the rest.  It also makes sure that he gets the credit for it.  We learned that the hard way when we booked a big trip once and didn't do the follow up and our agent didn't receive credit (an industry quirk he has told me) .  And a lot of those perks you are getting from your agent COST the agency and/or your agent, they are not freebies handed out by the cruiseline. . . . . it also depends on the cruise you are booking.  We tend to book longer voyages that sometimes sell out, so the price rises rapidly making the shipboard price a steal.  It's all relative. . . . . . 

Edited by OhioLair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...