Cuba.....uh, oh.

goosemay

12 minutes ago, thecruisers6 said:

Wow MSC are offering $300 more OBC than another line. The MSC cruises were cheaper to begin with as well than that line. 

Well done MSC, paying compensation when you didn’t have to for unilateral action taken against Cuba by the US administration and even a complete U-turn in US policy. 

Not exactly. OBC doesn't have the same value as hard cash.  I think RCL has made the best offer, especially to  anyone who booked in a higher category: "In addition, Royal Caribbean is offering the option of guests on affected sailings remaining on the cruise and receiving a 50% refund, or they can cancel their cruise and receive a full refund." 

Not to mention when Armonia cruise prices drop (which they most certainly will) the $400 OBC might not seem all that great sitting next to someone who paid a total of $400. What I would do in this situation is cancel my Armonia booking but keep the airfare and then rebook once final payment has past. I think it's very likely that will turn out to be the most cost effective option. Of course, that's what I would do and very often I'm in the minority 😄 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Haha 1

NCL has topped them all.  

Option #1 - Cancel for full refund

Option #2 - Stay on current cruise (with new destination) and receive 50% cash refund for the price you paid PLUS 50% discount off any future cruise with NCL  

Covers both sides.  Those only wanting to go to Cuba get their money back.  Those ok with going someplace else get half their money back, go on their booked cruise, and get a massive discount to cruise again later.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

NCL has topped them all.  

Option #2 - Stay on current cruise (with new destination) and receive 50% cash refund for the price you paid PLUS 50% discount off any future cruise with NCL  

Covers both sides.  Those only wanting to go to Cuba get their money back.  Those ok with going someplace else get half their money back, go on their booked cruise, and get a massive discount to cruise again later.  

Nice! I wasn't even following NCL options. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Hopefully the waiving of usual cancellation policy will allow us UK passengers to cancel and receive our deposits back. As we are awhile away from our sail date I'd not booked flights etc., so will be happy just to cancel and receive our deposit. 

I hope they offer 20% discount for switching ship. You may think $400 is a lot, but Cuba cruise is priced higher and price is going to drop when they can't fill these old ships. I am just going to cancel and rebook something else.

On behalf of MSC Cruises USA we would like to provide you with accurate up-to-date information regarding Cuba cruises on MSC Armonia. 

In connection with the U.S. Administration changes to regulations regarding travel to Cuba announced June 4, which eliminate as of June 5, the prior authorization permitting cruise ships to travel from the U.S. to Cuba, MSC Cruises will modify effective immediately all its cruise itineraries previously scheduled to call that country. 

Due to these substantial changes in U.S. law and regulation, MSC Armonia is no longer authorized to call the port of Havana, Cuba, as part of her current Caribbean sailings. The alternative ports of either Key West, Florida; Costa Maya, Mexico; George Town, Cayman Islands; or Cozumel, Mexico will replace Havana, Cuba. The remainder of MSC Armonia’s itinerary will remain as originally planned. 

Guests currently on board MSC Armonia and their travel agents have already been informed and will be given: 

• $400 USD per stateroom as onboard credit. If this credit is not fully used during the cruise, MSC Cruises will refund the difference upon check-out from the ship. Any shore excursions in Havana that were pre-purchased before the cruise, or which are included in the ticket, will be automatically refunded to the Guest’s onboard account.

Guests on future MSC Armonia sailings that were scheduled to visit Cuba will be offered one of the following:

• The possibility to change ship and itinerary. MSC Cruises will waive fees and transfer already paid funds to the new booking* 
    *If the guest chooses to cancel the cruise completely, normal cancellation penalties will apply.*
  • $400 USD per stateroom as onboard credit if they choose to remain on their currently booked sailing on MSC Armonia. If this credit is not fully used during the cruise, MSC Cruises will refund the difference upon check-out from the ship. Any shore excursions in Havana that were pre-purchased before the cruise, or which are included in the ticket, will be automatically refunded to the Guest’s onboard account. 

For guests who are scheduled to sail on June 10, the new itinerary is listed below:

June 10 - Depart Miami - 6pm 

June 11 - At Sea

June 12 - Ocho Rios, Jamaica - 10:30am - 5pm 

June 13 - George Town, Cayman Islands - 8am - 3pm 

June 14 - Cozumel, Mexico - 10am - 8pm 

June 15 - Costa Maya, Mexico - 7am - 4pm (replacing Havana, Cuba)

June 16 - At Sea

June 17 - Arrrive in Miami - 7am

For guests who are scheduled to sail on June 17, the new itinerary is listed below:

June 17 - Depart Miami - 6pm

June 18 - At Sea

June 19 - Isla de Roatan, Honduras - 12pm - 6pm 

June 20 - Costa Maya, Mexico - 8am - 6pm

June 21 - Cozumel, Mexico - 7am - 5pm

June 22 - At sea

June 23 - Key West, Florida (USA) - 7am - 6pm (replacing Havana, Cuba)

June 24 - Arrive in Miami - 7am

Please give us a few days as we process updates to all future itineraries. 

• Like 6

OT but hoping you guys can quickly help. We leave tomorrow (2 days in Miami prior to cruise on Monday), no idea which of the two ports we'll get - Key West or Costa Maya (hoping for the latter). Never been to either but been to all the other ports on our remaining itinerary.

Will stop by those ports boards but honestly, have very little time to research given flying out in <24 hours and still at work.  Top favorite things in Key West or Costa Maya to share?  TIA!

6 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

OT but hoping you guys can quickly help. We leave tomorrow (2 days in Miami prior to cruise on Monday), no idea which of the two ports we'll get - Key West or Costa Maya (hoping for the latter). Never been to either but been to all the other ports on our remaining itinerary.

Will stop by those ports boards but honestly, have very little time to research given flying out in <24 hours and still at work.  Top favorite things in Key West or Costa Maya to share?  TIA!

MSC posted a few minutes before your post, and it looks like you are going to Costa Maya.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Looks like you are going to Costa Maya. This is a very unique port in that the cruise lines were really building it up to be something special, but the Saragassum issue came and it's bad :(. With that said, I would not recommend any beach day here. There are some ruin tours that are offered that get good reviews. Connected to the pier is an 'maya village market'. Lots of little shops. A chance to swim with dolphins (would not recommend), a swim up bar and pool, etc... It's a self contained area. When I stop here, I visit this area just to stretch my legs and end up using this as a ship day.

1 hour ago, MrMike45 said:

NCL has topped them all.  

1 minute ago, galatea27 said:

I called MSC and they are offering no refunds.  Cuba was the primary reason for this cruise.  Unfortunately our final payment was due last week.  Very very disappointed.

1 minute ago, galatea27 said:

I called MSC and they are offering no refunds.  Cuba was the primary reason for this cruise.  Unfortunately our final payment was due last week.  Very very disappointed.

No, they are offering OBC or to switch ships/ititernies without fee. See MSC reply above. Post # 332. 

10 minutes ago, galatea27 said:

Sorry to hear. Cuba was also the primary reason for my family's and I cruise this August as well.  MSC has something to learn from NCL and RCCL in terms of customer service.

Keeping my fingers crossed Trump will change his fricking egotistical mind.

Otherwise this will be my first and last cruise with MSC. 

Edited by docboy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

No, they are offering OBC or to switch ships/ititernies without fee. See MSC reply above. Post # 332. 

I see that the Meraviglia and Divina have sailings about the same time as our current reservation (in December). And from what I can tell, lower prices than what we paid for the Armonia. With the elimination of Cuba, the itineraries are now pretty similar. Now I'm wondering if we should just switch to one of the other ships and save the $$. Hmm. 🤔

• Like 1

When in Costa Maya, take the open-air trolley bus over to the beach area there are umbrellas, beach chairs, and Tiki Huts to sit under if you don't want the sun. There also are many restaurants and bars right there on the beach. Yes, last time I was there there was seaweed but you can't have everything. If you've never been there give it a try. You pay for the bus to take you over, about 15 minutes, and there are taxis available to take back at I believe $4 per person.

Give it a try. Don't let others scare you into just staying in the vendor filled Port enclosed area. And the beers are cheap at the beach!

• Like 2

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

I see that the Meraviglia and Divina have sailings about the same time as our current reservation (in December). And from what I can tell, lower prices than what we paid for the Armonia. With the elimination of Cuba, the itineraries are now pretty similar. Now I'm wondering if we should just switch to one of the other ships and save the $$. Hmm. 🤔

What makes you happier. I'd say go for it.

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Hopefully the waiving of usual cancellation policy will allow us UK passengers to cancel and receive our deposits back. As we are awhile away from our sail date I'd not booked flights etc., so will be happy just to cancel and receive our deposit. 

Deposit refund doesn't look likely. I'm in the same boat pardon the pun. Looks like options are to stick with Armonia or move deposit to different MSC sailing. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

I see that the Meraviglia and Divina have sailings about the same time as our current reservation (in December). And from what I can tell, lower prices than what we paid for the Armonia. With the elimination of Cuba, the itineraries are now pretty similar. Now I'm wondering if we should just switch to one of the other ships and save the $$. Hmm🤔

That's what I plan to do. I have mine booked in Dec.

I am switching to MSC Meraviglia or NCL Escape. $400 OBC just won't cut it for a small old ship which is overpriced only because of the Cuba call.

19 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Looks like you are going to Costa Maya. This is a very unique port in that the cruise lines were really building it up to be something special, but the Saragassum issue came and it's bad :(. With that said, I would not recommend any beach day here. There are some ruin tours that are offered that get good reviews. Connected to the pier is an 'maya village market'. Lots of little shops. A chance to swim with dolphins (would not recommend), a swim up bar and pool, etc... It's a self contained area. When I stop here, I visit this area just to stretch my legs and end up using this as a ship day.

I would definitely agree on avoiding any private beach days at Costa Maya. We visited Maya Chan beach in March 2019 and Saragassum was really bad and such an awful smell. We had to leave the beach as it was so bad. Please see photo. 

20190319_121306.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thetaro said:

That's what I plan to do. I have mine booked in Dec.

I am switching to MSC Meraviglia or NCL Escape. $400 OBC just won't cut it for a small old ship which is overpriced only because of the Cuba call.

We've only paid our initial deposit and still have plenty of time until we have to make the final payment, so for now we're standing pat. In the meantime I'll check with our TA periodically to see if there are any good deals to be had, either on MSC or other lines. Someone mentioned canceling this cruise and rebooking later if prices drop, and that might be an even better deal financially than the $400 OBC.