Coffee makers

BitburgBoy

20 minutes ago, BitburgBoy said:

Can anyone tell us if there is a coffee maker on Riveria suites?

We have never had a coffee maker in the suites on Oceania unfortunately.

Always have wonderful Nespresso machines with all the coffee and fixings choices on Crystal and Viking, wonderful!

It is something we miss on O because even when brought by the butler the coffee was never hot enough.

Edited by orchestrapal
  • Like 2

There are several wonderful options for coffee throughout the ship including room service and/ or the Butler. I have zero desire to have a coffee maker, and all the related stuff, cluttering my already limited counter space. Continue to keep clutter to a minimum! 

• Like 4

I would pay a substantial sum to be able to rent a Nespresso-type coffee maker in my cabin for the duration of my cruise.  That way O could offset the added expense, and Pinotlover would also be happy.  This is one of those things where it's either REALLY important to you, or it's basically an unfathomable desire.

Having that quiet first cup before my DH wakes is a deeply ingrained part of getting up.  I don't want to call room service, and I don't want to get dressed.  Either one is going to wake Don up.  I just want my waking cup in my room.  And when I wake in the middle of the night and want a cup of chamomile to help me get back to sleep, I can do that as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2019 at 6:07 AM, BitburgBoy said:

Can anyone tell us if there is a coffee maker on Riveria suites?

no.... they dont have them.....  However take the elevator up to horizions and they have coffee/tea and pastries    Get a cabin right near the foward elevator for best access ( Horizons, Theater-Waves-smoking)

3 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

I would pay a substantial sum to be able to rent a Nespresso-type coffee maker in my cabin for the duration of my cruise.  That way O could offset the added expense, and Pinotlover would also be happy.  This is one of those things where it's either REALLY important to you, or it's basically an unfathomable desire.

Having that quiet first cup before my DH wakes is a deeply ingrained part of getting up.  I don't want to call room service, and I don't want to get dressed.  Either one is going to wake Don up.  I just want my waking cup in my room.  And when I wake in the middle of the night and want a cup of chamomile to help me get back to sleep, I can do that as well.

Except they wont allow them.....  You could take HAL  but then you have bigger problems

Have you considered coffee candies for a quiet first-caffeine-boost-of-day?  If you need the tactile experience of hot liquid, it won't help.  But for caffeine to get going, it could.  Enerjets are my DH's favorite.  

Or, if very warm liquid will work, you could bring a super-insulated mug, pre-heat by filling with hot water, empty & fill with coffee at your venue of choice the night before.  You could then enjoy in the morning without evening needing to get out of bed 🙂

Full disclosure: I don't even drink coffee...

3 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

The plain truth is that they don't want coffee makers in the room because, and you are a case in point here,  people tend to have very specific coffee needs so they too often fiddle with the equipment  in an attempt at customization and that can be a fire hazard.  .

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

The plain truth is that they don't want coffee makers in the room because, and you are a case in point here,  people tend to have very specific coffee needs so they too often fiddle with the equipment  in an attempt at customization and that can be a fire hazard.  .

Sorry, not buying that.  Show me the science that says running a cycle without a pod to get hot water for a teabag is a fire hazard.  So far Viking Ocean (for all there other problems) haven't burned up one of their ships because there's a Nespresso in every cabin.  IT could well be that the ship simply doesn't have the electrical capacity except in the top suites on O.  I don't know. CHeng would know, but he's not on threads like this.

I simply stated (and now I'm sorry I did) that I wish there could be a Nespresso machine OPTION in the cabin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

Didn't wake Don up once when we had one in a HAL suite.  I think movement wakes him more than noise.

Wow! Don must be a sound sleeper. Don't get me wrong, I love Nespresso and miss it when we are at sea. However, if someone in a cabin next to us were to fire up a Nespresso machine it would wake me up.

Baristas is a great substitute.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Sorry, not buying that.  Show me the science that says running a cycle without a pod to get hot water for a teabag is a fire hazard.  So far Viking Ocean (for all there other problems) haven't burned up one of their ships because there's a Nespresso in every cabin.  IT could well be that the ship simply doesn't have the electrical capacity except in the top suites on O.  I don't know. CHeng would know, but he's not on threads like this.

I simply stated (and now I'm sorry I did) that I wish there could be a Nespresso machine OPTION in the cabin.

Hope that this isn't beating a dead horse, but what I was trying to say is that there are people who disassemble the machines to make the hot water hotter or to keep the hotplates  from timing out.

Not sure how Viking Ocean avoids this, but so far as I can see, they are not winning awards for foresight.  

I agree that electrical capacity could also be an issue, but the Nespresso machines are not quiet, so I'm not sure that they would help.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Oh, I love your attitude...  Your not alone in the  It won't happen to me club.    Look up the NFPA National Fire Protection Assoc. and look at the statics   Electrical  kitchen fires  using coffee makers  kettles, crock pots,  mixers all sorts of devices  Its one of the single most hazardous  sources of fires.   I can not count the number of fires I have been on caused by little appliances and wiring.......... Also the plugs in the cabins are not all Ground Fault Protected (GFI)

The  the reason you dont see fires on Oceania ships is they figured the risk and prohibit these devices to begin with  And yes the cabins are not wired for heavy amps which these devices can produce... at most powering an electric shaver.

The biggest enemy of safety it the individual attitude of I know I can do this... no one is going to tell me ...I know better !

You have met the enemy thus .45289444_1048948065276695_3448267076878204928_n.jpg.b954db619059a11fd1a619938c3ee891.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

Hope that this isn't beating a dead horse, but what I was trying to say is that there are people who disassemble the machines to make the hot water hotter or to keep the hotplates  from timing out.

Not sure how Viking Ocean avoids this, but so far as I can see, they are not winning awards for foresight.  

I agree that electrical capacity could also be an issue, but the Nespresso machines are not quiet, so I'm not sure that they would help.  

Oh, the horse died some time ago.  But that's never stopped anyone here.  With your further explanation of what you were referring to, I understand your premise.  You said I was a case in point, and I thought you were referring to the concept of running a cycle of plain hot water for tea, which these machines are certainly designed to do.  I've never tinkered with any of my pod machines to try to make it do something it wasn't designed to, neither would it enter my mind. 

55 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Oh, I love your attitude...  Your not alone in the  It won't happen to me club.    Look up the NFPA National Fire Protection Assoc. and look at the statics   Electrical  kitchen fires  using coffee makers  kettles, crock pots,  mixers all sorts of devices  Its one of the single most hazardous  sources of fires.   I can not count the number of fires I have been on caused by little appliances and wiring.......... Also the plugs in the cabins are not all Ground Fault Protected (GFI)

The  the reason you dont see fires on Oceania ships is they figured the risk and prohibit these devices to begin with  And yes the cabins are not wired for heavy amps which these devices can produce... at most powering an electric shaver.

The biggest enemy of safety it the individual attitude of I know I can do this... no one is going to tell me ...I know better !

You have met the enemy thus .

How you get from "I wish i could rent a Nespresso machine" to "she's some kind of scofflaw firebug with an attitude" is beyond me, and also slightly strange.  Everyone has their own personal pulpit I guess.

I'm surprised you get on any ship with the amount of hair dryers, curling irons, hair straighteners and CPAP machines that are in use in the cabins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I file this thread under “ You can’t make ALL the People HAPPY ALL the Time!”

I’m sure we could have a full thread by disgruntled souls wanting Oceania to go grunge in all their restaurants. They could tell us how the just want to be comfortable while on a cruise. 

Both horses are overly beaten!

14 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

How you get from "I wish i could rent a Nespresso machine" to "she's some kind of scofflaw firebug with an attitude" is beyond me, and also slightly strange.  Everyone has their own personal pulpit I guess.

I'm surprised you get on any ship with the amount of hair dryers, curling irons, hair straighteners and CPAP machines that are in use in the cabins.

Oh  silly me...I just took the  words "  "Just show me its a problem  and the science " to be rather, well shortsighted 

No one is suggesting any one is an arsonist or pyromaniac as you suggested. Accidents are accidents because no one planned that they would happen.  95% of home/fires happen by accident..human error..Ok

People, tend  to lull themselves into complacent overconfidence and thats what gets them.  Thats my point.    Stuff gets banned for good reason...not to up set  or control people

I was simply pointing reality which so many think they know better.. I worked for decades in fire prevention and it was always an uphill battle  to get people to be self aware that they are not perfect.

Pardon me for interjecting the science and reality which was asked for to begin with.....

.. Dont shoot the messenger when you get a answer you asked for as to why a coffee maker would pose a problem...

Edited by Hawaiidan

It would be nice to have a coffeemaker en suite...but...Since I know I won't have one on Oceania, I book a cabin with easy access to the Concierge/Executive Lounge so I can easily grab a couple cups of coffee to take back to the cabin.  Less fuss than going to Horizons, Baristas etc early in the morning.  

Also, coffee ordered the night before usually arrives very promptly at the scheduled time in the morning - with or without butler.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, StanandJim said:

Still can't buy that especially since they are in all of NCL's Haven suites.

More of an issue is where to put them.  Certainly on the R ships there is little room even in the PH to put them. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Oh  silly me...I just took the  words "  "Just show me its a problem  and the science " to be rather, well shortsighted 

No one is suggesting any one is an arsonist or pyromaniac as you suggested. Accidents are accidents because no one planned that they would happen.  95% of home/fires happen by accident..human error..Ok

People, tend  to lull themselves into complacent overconfidence and thats what gets them.  Thats my point.    Stuff gets banned for good reason...not to up set  or control people

I was simply pointing reality which so many think they know better.. I worked for decades in fire prevention and it was always an uphill battle  to get people to be self aware that they are not perfect.

Pardon me for interjecting the science and reality which was asked for to begin with.....

.. Dont shoot the messenger when you get a answer you asked for as to why a coffee maker would pose a problem...

Let's review.  

I said, gee it would be nice to have the option of a pod-style coffeemaker.  Standandjim said I was a "case in point" for that not being a good idea.  I took this to mean, and took exception to, that by making a cup of tea by running hot water though the pod coffeemaker I was endangering the general populace. (That's not what they meant, but that was the only scenario I could come up with where I was a "case in point". ) I asked for the science behind running hot water through a machine without a pod as being dangerous... as running hot water through the machine is exactly what is it designed to do.   I did not say... show me all the statistics on small appliance fires.  You did not read for comprehension, and accused me of having "an attitude".  I object to that, and your sneering, sarcasm- soaked diatribes. I don't deserve it, and I won't lie down for it.

Clearly, having spent a month on Marina last fall, and booked to spend another month on board this December the coffeemaker in cabin issue is not enough to keep me off the ships.

I am never going to type another word on coffee at sea.
  • Haha 1