Bahamas and passport

Sara250

Just now, sparks1093 said:

And for most intercontinental business trips one would need a passport. I wouldn't classify cruise ship travel to islands in the Caribbean (or to the Bahamas or Bermuda) as "intercontinental". 

"Third time's a charm"

How about "foreign" with the caveat that, if Medicare may (under certain circumstances) pay for emergency care there (I.e., Canada and Mexico), it ain't really "foreign?" 

And so, we come full circle to the ongoing disagreement about the initial cost of a passport (or two or five...) vs the hassle of unplanned air travel outside of the US (regardless of Caribbean or not).

Suffice to say: "you don't need it until you need it," which is why (as has been mentioned here often) most (if not all) premium/luxury cruise lines requires all passengers on all itineraries to have a passport.  

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

"Third time's a charm"

How about "foreign" with the caveat that, if Medicare may (under certain circumstances) pay for emergency care there (I.e., Canada and Mexico), it ain't really "foreign?" 

And so, we come full circle to the ongoing disagreement about the initial cost of a passport (or two or five...) vs the hassle of unplanned air travel outside of the US (regardless of Caribbean or not).

Suffice to say: "you don't need it until you need it," which is why (as has been mentioned here often) most (if not all) premium/luxury cruise lines requires all passengers on all itineraries to have a passport.  

Yes, and everyone handles risk differently so some will opt to get the passports and some will opt not to. And we are full circle because many people choose to forego a passport to the "foreign" countries of Mexico and Canada as I previously pointed out. The law gives people a choice and of course that means that people will make choices differently than the choice you would make. 

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

"Third time's a charm"

I would have thought that by now you would have learned not to engage  in a discussion with Mr. Sparks concerning the advisability of having a passport.

14 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

LOL.

It's the patronizing attitude  of some of the other posters that I have a problem with, certainly not you. They do it in thread after thread, talking down to posters who ask this question as if they have some type of intellectual disability that prevents them from comprehending the potential consequences of the decision to cruise without a passport.

I'm of the same opinion as you...an adult in full possession of the facts and an understanding of the possible consequences of traveling without a passport shouldn't be lectured like they're a child needing their parents' guidance.

I would never travel outside the country without my passport, but someone else's decision to do so doesn't affect me one iota, so I see no need to say anything beyond painting an accurate factual landscape of the potential hazards of doing so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It's the patronizing attitude  of some of the other posters that I have a problem with, certainly not you. They do it in thread after thread, talking down to posters who ask this question as if they have some type of intellectual disability that prevents them from comprehending the potential consequences of the decision to cruise without a passport.

I'm of the same opinion as you...an adult in full possession of the facts and an understanding of the possible consequences of traveling without a passport shouldn't be lectured like they're a child needing their parents' guidance.

I would never travel outside the country without my passport, but someone else's decision to do so doesn't affect me one iota, so I see no need to say anything beyond painting an accurate factual landscape of the potential hazards of doing so.

27 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Of course this thread started with an inexperienced traveler mentioning getting a passport card for a cruise to the Bahamas, which indicated less than full possession of the facts or possible lack of understanding of the consequences.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course this thread started with an inexperienced traveler mentioning getting a passport card for a cruise to the Bahamas, which indicated less than full possession of the facts or possible lack of understanding of the consequences.

You seem to have ignored the last sentence of the original post. Sounds to me like the OP knows exactly what the risk is if not carrying a passport :

"I understand that a passport book is recommended if needed to fly. I just need to know if a passport card is accepted. Thanks!"

Sounds to me like the OP knows exactly why a passport might be needed. 

The OP confirms it a little further down the thread after being browbeaten repeatedly: 

"Its a simple question that requires a simple answer. I already understand about air travel. I don’t need information that was not asked. "

Edited by njhorseman

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You seem to have ignored the last sentence of the original post. Sounds to me like the OP knows exactly what the risk is if not carrying a passport :

"I understand that a passport book is recommended if needed to fly. I just need to know if a passport card is accepted. Thanks!"

The OP confirms it a little further down the thread after being browbeaten repeatedly: 

"Its a simple question that requires a simple answer. I already understand about air travel. I don’t need information that was not asked. "

The fact that OP seemed to feel that a passport card was somehow better than the proof of citizenship and ID required to get that passport card for a cruise to the Bahamas is reasonable evidence of of OP’s “... less than full posession of the facts...”  (your wording)  —-  and was therefore reason for giving helpful advice. There was clear indication that OP was not sufficiently  experienced to know that the additional volunteered information might be helpful.  A thoughtful contributor on these threads will consider a poster’s clearly apparent need for advice. 

OP’s aggressive rejection of such helpful advice is unfortunate — your support  of her hostility is curious.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

The fact that OP seemed to feel that a passport card was somehow better than the proof of citizenship and ID required to get that passport card for a cruise to the Bahamas is reasonable evidence of of OP’s “... less than full posession of the facts...”  (your wording)  —-  and was therefore reason for giving helpful advice. There was clear indication that OP was not sufficiently  experienced to know that the additional volunteered information might be helpful.  A thoughtful contributor on these threads will consider a poster’s clearly apparent need for advice. 

OP’s aggressive rejection of such helpful advice is unfortunate — your support  of her hostility is curious.

Ok

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Ok

13 minutes ago, Sara250 said:

I have received help elsewhere with kinder people who have answered my question asked. A passport card is just fine. Thanks for all the unecessary comments. 

Of course “A passport card is just fine.”  So is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

It is simply not needed to board a closed loop cruise if you already have the documents needed to get it - and it will be useless for any other purpose likely in the context of the discussion you started.

The point is: when an apparently inexperienced cruiser from Wichita, who is unlikely to need a passport card to drive to Canada and Mexico asks whether a passport card is OK for a cruise to the Bahamas, it is only common courtesy to advise her that it will not serve any purpose worthy of the cost.  It will not help her fly home if that became necessary, and it is no more helpful as necessary documentation to board the cruise than would be the proof of citizenship and photo ID needed to get the passport card. Therefore, getting the passport card certainly seems like a total waste of money. 

The posters who who responded to you showed you the courtesy of trying to advise you about what was very apparently a misunderstanding on your part.

On a site like this, courteous, well intentioned advice,to people who apparently need it, is what it is all about —- and is not “unnecessary” — and, to be perfectly frank, deserve more than the dismissive responses given in return.

To add, while the OP may know the details and only be looking for a simple yes or no answer, others may read this post and not.  By adding the additional info those posters could be helping others.  Once the OP got their answer no need to keep coming back. 

Posts on an internet forum seem to have a life of their own and cannot be controlled by one individual poster.  This can be good, provides a wider breadth of info, or bad when it goes totally astray.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 1:19 PM, sparks1093 said:

It gets you 1) one durable document that will stand up to water, etc., 2) the ability to cross land borders and to take closed loop and open jaw sailings involving Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean and Mexico, and 3) the State Department will already have all of your information in its database should you need their assistance. Of course all of those reasons aren't considerations for all travelers so each traveler needs to make up their own mind. 

OP, yes, you can use the passport card to board the ship and disembark at the end of the cruise. Only you can determine if you are comfortable with the small risk involved by not having a passport.

Thank you!

17 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

You really don't like any form of help outside of your question, do you? Jeez...recommending the search function was a great recommendation as this is addressed a lot and you probably would have found your answer immediately. Not everyone is out to get you, some people actually are attempting to help, it just goes slightly outside of the narrow question you asked.

Thats not how they had worded it. They worded it as if I didn’t know it existed which I do. Geez didn’t know this was a debate. I didn’t find my answer by doing that. so I turned to this thinking I would get a yes or no from someone who might have used a passport card not a lecture from people about flying internationally. God Bless

Edited by Sara250

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course “A passport card is just fine.”  So is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

It is simply not needed to board a closed loop cruise if you already have the documents needed to get it - and it will be useless for any other purpose likely in the context of the discussion you started.

The point is: when an apparently inexperienced cruiser from Wichita, who is unlikely to need a passport card to drive to Canada and Mexico asks whether a passport card is OK for a cruise to the Bahamas, it is only common courtesy to advise her that it will not serve any purpose worthy of the cost.  It will not help her fly home if that became necessary, and it is no more helpful as necessary documentation to board the cruise than would be the proof of citizenship and photo ID needed to get the passport card. Therefore, getting the passport card certainly seems like a total waste of money. 

The posters who who responded to you showed you the courtesy of trying to advise you about what was very apparently a misunderstanding on your part.

On a site like this, courteous, well intentioned advice,to people who apparently need it, is what it is all about —- and is not “unnecessary” — and, to be perfectly frank, deserve more than the dismissive responses given in return.

"Worthy of the cost" is entirely in the eyes of the beholder. It's not "worthy of the cost" to you and that is fine. It is "worthy of the cost" to however many hundreds of thousands who possess one. The passport card does have some benefit over and above the proof of citizenship/government issued ID and I pointed those benefits out up thread and of course those benefits don't apply to everyone with equal force so what benefits one may not benefit another. DW's proof of citizenship is a naturalization certificate and the cost to replace it is $550. Well worth paying a tenth of that to prevent having to take it on a cruise to prevent having it damaged or lost (although we opted for EDLs for other reasons). While our situation doesn't apply to everyone again, benefit is in the eye of the beholder. As I've said many times everyone has different travel patterns and different travel documentation needs (which is what the point of my most recent posts were in discussing the matter with Flatbush Flyer). Sure, they could get the king of travel documentation and be covered for every eventuality but they can also legally and legitimately use an alternative if that is what works best for them. The only risk in not using a passport is a potential delay in getting home if that need happens to arise and the risk of that varies by traveler, also. For most it is a low risk proposition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

"Worthy of the cost" is entirely in the eyes of the beholder. It's not "worthy of the cost" to you and that is fine. It is "worthy of the cost" to however many hundreds of thousands who possess one. The passport card does have some benefit over and above the proof of citizenship/government issued ID and I pointed those benefits out up thread and of course those benefits don't apply to everyone with equal force so what benefits one may not benefit another. DW's proof of citizenship is a naturalization certificate and the cost to replace it is $550. Well worth paying a tenth of that to prevent having to take it on a cruise to prevent having it damaged or lost (although we opted for EDLs for other reasons). While our situation doesn't apply to everyone again, benefit is in the eye of the beholder. As I've said many times everyone has different travel patterns and different travel documentation needs (which is what the point of my most recent posts were in discussing the matter with Flatbush Flyer). Sure, they could get the king of travel documentation and be covered for every eventuality but they can also legally and legitimately use an alternative if that is what works best for them. The only risk in not using a passport is a potential delay in getting home if that need happens to arise and the risk of that varies by traveler, also. For most it is a low risk proposition.

A lot of rambling off the point — I do not dispute anyone’s decisions on whether upgrade to passport from passport card is worth the cost.  I was pointing out to a resident of Kansas who had asked if a passport card for a closed loop cruise to the Bahamas was sufficient.  If she could get the card, she obviously already had all she needed to board the cruise. So, unless she was ALSO thinking of driving to Canada or Mexico, she did not need the card.

Context is significant.

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

A lot of rambling off the point — I do not dispute anyone’s decisions on whether upgrade to passport from passport card is worth the cost.  I was pointing out to a resident of Kansas who had asked if a passport card for a closed loop cruise to the Bahamas was sufficient.  If she could get the card, she obviously already had all she needed to board the cruise. So, unless she was ALSO thinking of driving to Canada or Mexico, she did not need the card.

Context is significant.

Maybe the traveler from Kansas wants the durability of a passport card and the convenience of having to carry only one document without the expense of a full passport book. We've both pointed things out, as have others, and the OP has enough information to make an informed decision. (And she didn't ask if she needed the card, she asked if she could use it.)

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 5:10 PM, njhorseman said:

I think one point being, that the OP might not have considered the reasons one might not plan to fly, but may have to.

Not long ago there was the long thread about the couple who ended up off the ship due to a medical issue, did not have funds or passports and were stuck.

Many people, especially younger ones, might not consider this issue, as they figure they are healthy and not have any medical issues.  But, they can occur at any age or time, or may be the result of a mishap, not illness.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I think one point being, that the OP might not have considered the reasons one might not plan to fly, but may have to.

Not long ago there was the long thread about the couple who ended up off the ship due to a medical issue, did not have funds or passports and were stuck.

Many people, especially younger ones, might not consider this issue, as they figure they are healthy and not have any medical issues.  But, they can occur at any age or time, or may be the result of a mishap, not illness.

No, the OP has accounted for that one. What they missed was the chance that earth could drift too close to a black hole that would suck all the water out of the oceans, forcing everyone to fly rather than cruise home. :classic_rolleyes:

Really, just why do some of you insist on arguing this ad infinitum ?  

On 4/24/2019 at 12:12 PM, Sara250 said:

Hi, for our cruise we are going to The Bahamas on Royal Caribbean. Nassau and Cococay to be specific.We decided to get a passport card. Is a passport card accepted when going to the Bahamas? I understand that a passport book is recommended if needed to fly. I just need to know if a passport card is accepted. Thanks!

Yes, in fact no one is going to check your documents after youboard the ship in Miami or wherever you are sailing from.

20 hours ago, njhorseman said:

No, the OP has accounted for that one. What they missed was the chance that earth could drift too close to a black hole that would suck all the water out of the oceans, forcing everyone to fly rather than cruise home. :classic_rolleyes:

Really, just why do some of you insist on arguing this ad infinitum ?  

Not arguing, but just pointing out a reason why the OP did not understand why some people added some info.

Of course, OPs like this, if something were to go wrong, would be back asking why no one mentioned the possibility to them that they might need a passport.

21 hours ago, SRF said:

5 minutes ago, SRF said:

Not arguing, but just pointing out a reason why the OP did not understand why some people added some info.

Of course, OPs like this, if something were to go wrong, would be back asking why no one mentioned the possibility to them that they might need a passport.

Well, first of all in the story you reference the couple's main issue was that they didn't have the funds to pay for the needed medical care which was the crux of their issue. That they didn't have passports was secondary to that and the story made a stronger case for having travel insurance than it did for having a passport. I don't see these threads as an argument or as a debate because those of us who do participate have already made up our minds. Personally I participate so that people who are making the decision can have as much information as possible in making their decision. What their decision ultimately is doesn't matter to me because it doesn't affect me. 

On 4/30/2019 at 7:07 PM, sparks1093 said:

Well, first of all in the story you reference the couple's main issue was that they didn't have the funds to pay for the needed medical care which was the crux of their issue. That they didn't have passports was secondary to that and the story made a stronger case for having travel insurance than it did for having a passport. I don't see these threads as an argument or as a debate because those of us who do participate have already made up our minds. Personally I participate so that people who are making the decision can have as much information as possible in making their decision. What their decision ultimately is doesn't matter to me because it doesn't affect me. 

That is why I pointed out the possible cause of a need for a passport.  To help people who have not made up their mind, more complete information.

Yes, just what you need, in the middle of a medical emergency (and in that case a financial one also) is to ALSO add the need to deal with the lack of a passport.   BT, DT and was HAPPY to not to add a passport issue along with it.

And as part of this, not all cruise ports have US consular presence.  So you add in having to travel somewhere else to deal with the passport issue.

Edited by SRF

19 minutes ago, SRF said:

That is why I pointed out the possible cause of a need for a passport.  To help people who have not made up their mind, more complete information.

Yes, just what you need, in the middle of a medical emergency (and in that case a financial one also) is to ALSO add the need to deal with the lack of a passport.   BT, DT and was HAPPY to not to add a passport issue along with it.

And as part of this, not all cruise ports have US consular presence.  So you add in having to travel somewhere else to deal with the passport issue.

Yes, I remember your story well but the fact remains it doesn't happen to everyone. Everyone's risk level is different since everyone's circumstances are different, and everyone's acceptance of the risk is also different. If something happens there are people that are there to assist you, whether you have a passport or not. The cruise line does not desert you nor does their port agent. As for your last line, under your logic you can't travel somewhere else to deal with the passport issue since you don't have a passport, so your stuck where you are. The authorities have the ability to waive the passport requirement in the event of an emergency or for humanitarian reasons and that is what would happen in that scenario- the cruise line and/or port agent would notify the authorities who would give clearance for the passengers to fly back to the US.

I agree 100% with the premise that IF something goes wrong having a passport will reduce any potential delay. I agree 100% with the premise that a passport is the king of travel documentation. But I also recognize that a passport isn't for everyone for any number of reasons.