Horizon Walls??

AIO Cruiser

• 9 months later...

I haven't sailed the Horizon, but other ships I have found the ability of the magnets to stick varies on the surface.  I wouldn't think it would work in the shower, but they did work well on the door frame and I think on the door.  Walls varied but ceiling was good in most spots.

57 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I hope they're not magnetic.

That would make life very difficult for people with metal implants.

Somewhat unlikely?

Since my accident with a Police Horse in mid-1982
resulting in a badly-broken limb

I've had a stainless steel plate in my left forearm, probably 5 ins. long
secured to the bone by four Philips-head stainless screws
And I've never triggered anything -anything! Ever!

To be honest I've always found that a bit odd,

and it makes me wonder just what the detectors can and cannot detect?

• Like 1

We purchased the 80# magnet hooks from Amazon for the Horizon and they worked fine for lots of things like swimsuits, misc. bags, etc. But there were some items that these simply were not strong enough to hold and they would slide down the wall. I will purchase stronger magnet hooks the next time. They are SO useful in helping to keep a small space organized! 

16 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Somewhat unlikely?

Ahhh grasshopper

That's why they x-ray you before putting you in an MRI magnet. They are looking for metal.

Strong enough magnetic force will pull metal shavings out of your body.

Note to self: Don't argue with police horse. 😉

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Ahhh grasshopper

That's why they x-ray you before putting you in an MRI magnet.

They are looking for metal. Strong enough magnetic force

will pull metal shavings out of your body. ===> Wow!

Note to self:

Don't argue with police horse. 😉 ===> He ran away, out of control!!

Yes, I was wondering about such complications re. an MRI scan!
They won't need to X-ray me, I'll be telling them ahead of time.

I've also got a small screw in one of my teeth

(saw the dental X-ray just the other day!)

Geez.. I could blow apart, couldn't I??!

37 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Somewhat unlikely?

The scientific reason why your "stainless steel" plates are not affected by low level magnets. While other stainless steel objects are.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-magnets-work-on/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lensonlife said:

We purchased the 80# magnet hooks from Amazon for the Horizon and they worked fine for lots of things like swimsuits, misc. bags, etc. But there were some items that these simply were not strong enough to hold and they would slide down the wall. I will purchase stronger magnet hooks the next time. They are SO useful in helping to keep a small space organized! 

There's something most people don't realize about these magnetic hooks they buy for cruises. When it comes to the weight rating that most of them are listed at, the direction of force is key. When most retail listings say a magnetic hook is rated at 80 lbs., that's the "pull strength," or what it'll hold when pulling straight out, in the opposite direction of the surface it's attached to. For example, if the hook is attached to the ceiling, it should be able to hold 80 lbs. pulling straight down towards the floor. On a wall, when we hang something on them, the weight is pulling down at a 90 degree angle from the hook. In that direction, it's rated at much less weight. I did a quick search for 80 lbs. magnet hooks on Amazon and picked the first one I saw. When you read closer, it notes that when attached to a vertical surface, it's 1/3 weaker. That's almost 30 lbs. less weight it'll hold when stuck to a wall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Yes, I was wondering about such complications re. an MRI scan!
They won't need to X-ray me, I'll be telling them ahead of time.

I've also got a small screw in one of my teeth

(saw the dental X-ray just the other day!)

Geez.. I could blow apart, couldn't I??!

Most medical implants are made of non-ferrous metal/ stainless steel. This way MRI won’t bother them (see article klfrodo  posted). Even if the metal implant in question is ferrous, after several weeks inside the body, fibrous scarring sets in reducing the risk of metal implants moving (source: ACR Guidance on MR Safe Practices). Depending on the area of the implant and area of the scan would determine how safe an MRI would be. 

So, no, you wouldn’t blow apart, even if you were not properly screened prior to setting foot near MRI. (I am aware that you probably already know this, but knowledge is power! Also, I dislike that their is a ton of false information floating around about my field.)

Typically, the only body part that is x-rayed prior to MRI is the eyes. And then only in patients that have a risk of metal shavings in their eyes. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I hope they're not magnetic. That would make life very difficult for people with metal implants.

😮

You're thinking of "magnetized", not "magnetic".  Magnetic means only "capable of being magnetized, or affected by a magnet".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drgonzogoo said:

I'll be on the Horizon in April, and i'll tell you what i'll do. When i'm on, i'll be check from the windows to the walls!! Then, i'll report back.

All of the walls and ceilings are magnetic, as they are all steel.  However, the coatings that are applied to the steel (the colored surface you see) is a vinyl coating, and the thickness of this film determines how strong a magnet needs to be to hold onto the surface.

Also know that most of the stronger magnets you buy these days are rare earth magnets, and these are actually controlled items with regard to air transport.  While a couple of these hooks would most likely be okay in a plane's baggage hold, too many can affect the plane's electronics.  When purchased, nearly all of these are sent surface freight and not air freight.

• Thanks 1