Help Selecting Excursion in Mykonos

taylortime05

I put this question on the Europe port section but haven't gotten any replies.  So I'm hoping I get more response here. 
I am comparing 2 excursion thru Celebrity on Mykonos listed below. Usually our excursions are private excursions with others from our roll call. And I know many say that some of these ports such as Mykonos and Santorini can be done without an excursion. Since it's our first time to Europe I prefer to have planned excursions. On a 2nd visit I'd be more likely to do my own touring. For the 2 tender ports of Mykonos and Santorini I'm choosing the ship's excursions to get us started earlier and in Santorini to avoid the cable cars.
So I'm comparing 2 excursions thru Celebrity. Please let me know if you have done either of these excursions and if you enjoyed them. The 1st excursion is lot longer for 35 more PP and includes lunch and a show. But it will use up all of our time in the port so we will not have any time left to tour on our own.

Celebrity Discovery Collection: Best of Mykonos - 8 hours 15 min - 135 PP  (Has anyone been on this excursion?)
  • At the pier in Mykonos, board a local ferry for the trip to the breathtaking island of Delos. Located at the center of the Cyclades Islands, Delos was perfectly positioned to become an important trade center in the Mediterranean. Once a hub of activity and considered one of Greece's most sacred places, today the island is uninhabited. According to Greek mythology, Apollo, son of Zeus and Leto, was born here. In the early 19th century, artifacts, mosaics, statues, and buildings were uncovered during a historic excavation. Visit Ano Mera at the center of the island, home to the venerable Panagia Tourliani Monastery, circa 1542. Admire its whitewashed exterior and impressive dome. After a full morning of touring, relax over lunch, a variety of salads (cheese and hot peppers, fava beans, eggplant and Greek) and of meats (pork and chicken souvlaki, lamb intestines-kokoretsi, meatballs), served with baby potatoes, bread, and seasonal fruits. Sip wine as you watch a folkloric show. Return to Mykonos, a picturesque town of winding lanes, alabaster houses built in Cycladic style, and red-roofed churches. Taste an iconic almond cookie accompanied by mastic liqueur, then continue sightseeing on your own or return to the ship by shuttle.
Ancient Delos - 3 hours 30 min - 99 PP
  • Board the boat of a local captain and skid across calm waters to the uninhabited island of Delos. On this stark and lonely landscape, discover the ruins of an ancient settlement that once bustled with the sounds of trade and commerce. Legend has it this was the birthplace of Apollo, son of Zeus. Hear the tale while standing before the remnants of the Great Temple of Apollo. Pass through the classical Theater, where over 5,000 citizens once cheered epic performances. Marvel at Hellenistic mansions adorned with elaborate mosaics crafted thousands of years ago. Look out upon the greens and blues of the archipelago from the Terrace of the Foreign Gods and visit the lost Sacred Lake, where it’s said the swans and geese of Apollo once frolicked. Time on Delos is forever frozen and this tour offers the rare opportunity to literally stroll in the footsteps of the ancients.
Thanks

I've not done either but didn't want to read and run - and I do know Mykanos well.

For me - I would suggest Ancient Delios.  Whilst I understand you wanting a ships tour Mykanos town is really small.  You'll see the same amount of things on Delios (there isn't that much!) so the only real difference is the meal.  The restaurants in Mykanos are wonderful and for me I would prefer to wander and eat at a place of my own choosing.  The streets in Mykanos are very narrow so if you are in a group you'll really miss the magic off the place which can look completely empty simply because of all the twists and turns.

The only caveat I would add is don't plan to find your way back to any particular shop - you probably won't.  Getting lost is part of the charm - but honestly it is so small that as long as you head downhill you will end up back at the sea front  The tender station is right there.

You have to laugh, in the first trip Delos is described as breathtaking and in the second it’s stark and lonely. Lol

I’ve stayed in Mykonos town for a week a couple of times and never made it to Delos although my friends have. They described it as just a few ruins which may be interesting to you or not. I suggest looking at the island on google maps to give you an idea of what’s there. 

From the the description I would choose the second tour as the place with the most to experience is Mykonos town. It’s a true rabbit warren of narrow streets which I love and has some lovely restaurants and waterfront bars. 

Much as I love history and a good set of ruins I would want to spend more time in Mykonos than Delos. 

Edited by Highpeaklad

The reason to go to Mykonos is because it's a small, very walkable town and seeing the famous windmills which you can easily walk to.  Wander around the town, sit and have some ouzo and a nice greek lunch, enjoy the views of the ocean and relax.  We enjoy ruins...but the one's to see are in Rome, Athens, Ephesus, Pompei, Stonehenge, etc.  Your memories of Mykonos will be from your walk around the town....seeing the small boats, the harbor, the windmills.....not your visit to Delos. We've been to Mykonos twice and just get off the ship and wander around....suggest that would be a great plan for you as well.

We recently spent a weeks holiday in mykonos. We didn't bother with a visit to Delos, as quite frankly Mykonos was far to pretty a place to leave.

If I were you I would simply wander the streets of Mykonos and take the opertunity to visit some of its many wonderful little shops, bars or cafes. I'd honestly suggest you don't need a ships tour as its only a small town and Im confident you'll have a most enjoyable dayt just independently exploring it.

Try to get a hold of the British 1989 movie Shirley Valentine.  Watch this movie then you will have a different view of Mykonos before you get there.....then just wander the streets, sit with a drink and watch the people...soak up the feeling of the Island, time and place.  Please don't jump on a tour to leave Mykonos😘 for your first visit.  I've  been there many times in the past 25 years and it's still my favorite port.  Take a picture of the Pelican ...so beautiful....it's on my bucket list to spend a couple of weeks🤗 there. ( off tourist season....which is before Easter ) it's a magical place....

Ok so I will buck the trend.  We went to Delos and thoroughly enjoyed wandering round the birthplace of Apollo and Artemis. Visiting the museum.  It is a UNESCO world heritage site. It was very hot though. If you go on the short tour, then you should have time to wander around Mykonos Town before returning to the ship. 

67FA3BDC-D78D-4977-B2C1-5F7E9AE03C3C.jpeg

BFC7E05C-ED90-4F6A-9E5E-CCC860ADDB41.jpeg

4DB545C4-61DE-443B-B629-D9EFB2D4CD05.jpeg

FB5986C8-93CC-4EFB-B5A7-72D4DD2B470E.jpeg

0E4669A2-35D7-4422-9BE4-372A3E100DAF.jpeg

We walked a couple of blocks from the pier and rented a quad.  It was very inexpensive.  The quad trip was a suggestion of Rick Steves travel guide book.  We figured that as long as we kept the ocean on our left side we would eventually make it back to the pier. It was late May and it was hot there.  We came back to starting spot with plenty of time to wander the streets, have a drink and meet the Pelican.  In our opinion no excursion was needed.  Mykonos was one of our favorite stops (actually they were all our favorite stops!)

We did a similar excursion to "Ancient Delos" and found it very interesting and well worth a visit. We still had time to wander around Mykonos.

I think that it would be a pity to go so far and not see Delos as it is more than " just a few old ruins"

Edited by Lizzyanne
Not sure how the Princess bit got there but I cannot remove it!

We did a private day sail that included sailing around Delos. If you aren't 100% set on seeing the actual ruins, I would highly recommend this. Mykonos is known as the windy isle and the sailing is fantastic! We had time for swimming and the captain prepared a delicious lunch on-board. I can't remember the sailboat we rented, but I'm sure I have it listed in my review somewhere. There are lots to choose from. 

Just book the local ferry to Delos yourself on-line; go early, and come back to Mykanos for a late lunch. No need for an official tour to Delos; an amazing place to explore on your own, with a guide leaflet or book,

Stuart

4 hours ago, bengaltiger1 said:

Ok so I will buck the trend.  We went to Delos and thoroughly enjoyed wandering round the birthplace of Apollo and Artemis. Visiting the museum.  It is a UNESCO world heritage site. It was very hot though. If you go on the short tour, then you should have time to wander around Mykonos Town before returning to the ship. 

67FA3BDC-D78D-4977-B2C1-5F7E9AE03C3C.jpeg

BFC7E05C-ED90-4F6A-9E5E-CCC860ADDB41.jpeg

4DB545C4-61DE-443B-B629-D9EFB2D4CD05.jpeg

FB5986C8-93CC-4EFB-B5A7-72D4DD2B470E.jpeg

0E4669A2-35D7-4422-9BE4-372A3E100DAF.jpeg

Agree

We did ship tour of Delos and wandered around  Mykonos catching free bus back to ship

6 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Does the ship tour for Delos have a guide as you walk around or do you go on your own?

Thanks

We went on the ship’s tour in 2013 and neither of us recall there being a guide.  

Edited by bengaltiger1

A bit surprised at the posts from those that never went to Delos commenting not to go. 

Id strongly recommend the Ancient Delis tour. Excellent ruins. Trained guides that take you behind the gates to see special areas. Make sure this isn’t just a ferry over and back but a trained Delos guide. 

Well I’ll worth it. For those interested in such. 

Gave us lots to time after ferrying into town to wander and see so much on foot there. 

To each our own. Delos ruins are very unique and to me well worth the time. Not nearly as crowded as others and beautiful views of a stark island and sea. 

Check your Celebrity itinerary.  If it says Mykonos is a tender port, then you will be tendered to the same dock as the ferry to Delos.  If Celebrity doesn't provide a guide while you are in Delos,  then just take the ferry both ways. If their guide just gives the history on the ferry....spend that time yourself reading any guide book 🙂

If you are unlucky and your itinerary says "docked", then you will be 1.5km outside of town near nothing and almost everyone takes the shuttle bus which lets you off at the complete other end of the town from the ferry pier. Some walk it, but it's a narrow road with rocky walkways.  If I recall correctly, Celebrity charged us for that shuttle bus (but hopefully not any more).  

4 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Check your Celebrity itinerary.  If it says Mykonos is a tender port, then you will be tendered to the same dock as the ferry to Delos.  If Celebrity doesn't provide a guide while you are in Delos,  then just take the ferry both ways. If their guide just gives the history on the ferry....spend that time yourself reading any guide book 🙂

If you are unlucky and your itinerary says "docked", then you will be 1.5km outside of town near nothing and almost everyone takes the shuttle bus which lets you off at the complete other end of the town from the ferry pier. Some walk it, but it's a narrow road with rocky walkways.  If I recall correctly, Celebrity charged us for that shuttle bus (but hopefully not any more).  

We are being tendered.  I sent email to excursion desk asking if Delos had a guide or not.   Thanks

I read the Delos Celebrity Tour description  and it states there are headphones provided so all can hear the tour guides. That would be very odd if the only guide discussions were during the ferry to Delos. It reads just as I experienced which was a walking tour of Delos with a guide and hearing aides. Outstanding tour.

Our friends who cerise’s with us on that one did the ferry over on their own and wandered around with a written guide. They enjoyed it some, but we had a fully trained, experienced and intelligent guide. 

If the ship is tendering, this tour is even better. The tour boat will pull up beside the ship and you’ll go from there to Delos, the tour, then back to the main town with lots of time left. 

enough said.

Den

We did a morning tour to Delos (through Princess though) and it was fascinating. It was guided and our guide was excellent. We got back to Mykonos in time to have lunch at a local restaurant where we had the best grilled octopus and Greek salad I've ever tasted. After that we spent a few hours happily getting lost around Mykonos - thank goodness for Google Maps which made getting unlost very easy.

I highly recommend going to Delos, it really is a very special place.

Taylortime05, if, as you say, it will be your first time in Europe, then I would recommend that you visit Delos. Sure, there are more impressive ruins like Pompeii, Rome, Athens, etc, but for a first-timer, Delos can be fascinating as well. That was how I felt when I visited Delos some years ago, never having visited any of the other more famous ruins before at that time. Although I had the opportunities to, I never bothered with ruins before that as I didn't think they would interest me. Delos changed all that and I now eagerly plan visits to other famous ruins.

Having said that, I'd opt for the second tour as it would give you time of your own in Mykonos. I agree with the others that Mykonos is best discovered on your own, even if just wandering around aimlessly. Inevitably though, you'll probably end up at the windmills at dusk enjoying a G&T or glass of wine while watching the fierce orange sun slowly sink below the horizon. But get there early to grab a seat before the crowds come.

Husband had a revelation over night.  There was a tour guide on our Celebrity trip. However, he says that the museum was a self tour.  

It was definitely worth worth the visit, but we love exploring archaeological sites.  There is very little shade, so don’t forget sunscreen and headwear.