Eataly GONE on Meraviglia!

JP Medina

Just to let you all know 

I AM currently onboard Meraviglia and when we got on yesterday, Eataly was still here, but today it is closed.

As I had prebooked the tryptic I AM being offered some options but none of them satisfy us .

The manager told me Ocean Cay and Tapas Will be ready for next cruise sailing from next saturday May the 4th (be with you)

6 hours ago, phissy said:

MSC needs to come up with an alternative dining option that is not upsell. Like NCL has O’Sheenans, for quick bite of bar food etc.

Agree, love the Cafè Promenade / Sorrentos at RCCL to just grab a quick snack instead of having to go all the way up to the buffet. 

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thank heavens...Eataly was a loser to begin with.  I never liked the idea of dining in a specialty restaurant that looked like a grammar school cafeteria .  

I agree with you about the way it looked but the food was very good, at least on Divina.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I agree with you about the way it looked but the food was very good, at least on Divina.

Hi Sveri,

When we were on Divina we were willing to try Eataly and pay the full price without the Black Card comp...but we just could not get by the horrible decor.  When I dine in a specialty restaurant and paying I want a comfortable setting that looks like they have put in some design effort.  

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Sveri,

When we were on Divina we were willing to try Eataly and pay the full price without the Black Card comp...but we just could not get by the horrible decor.  When I dine in a specialty restaurant and paying I want a comfortable setting that looks like they have put in some design effort.  

I abslutely understand you. On Meraviglia we choosed to eat at Butchers Cut instead of at Eataly because of the decor in Eataly.

On Divina Butchers Cut wasn't an option so we tried Eataly and it was worth it because of the food! (We didn't paid for it, Black Card.)

15 hours ago, abbflex said:

Agree, love the Cafè Promenade / Sorrentos at RCCL to just grab a quick snack instead of having to go all the way up to the buffet. 

We also agree.  We would love to see MSC offer a quick serve type option.  We loved getting a quick bite at Sorrentos on our last RCCL sailing.  We’ve also sailed NCL and have grabbed light meals in O’Sheehans.  Our family personally prefers that over the buffets.

Just now, phissy said:

Eataly was a pay to enjoy restaurant. Sure that Tapas will be the same. 

MSC does not have “free” options outside of buffets , MDR or poolside snacks.

Depends on the ship!  On Sinfonia and Armonia you can get food in the pub on deck 5 without charge.  Also, food in the Sports bar on Divina has only very recently been reported as (still) being without charge, too.

30 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

We had our last BC meal in Eataly on Preziosa, the decor has always kept us away but the food was very nice.

Always thought if they'd reduced the brightness of the lighting it would've looked more appealing.

That was how I felt about it, too, CF.  It didn't lend itself to an intimate, romantic "night out" kinda vibe.  Plus, the designer plastic chairs (ridiculously expensive, too!) looked - and made the place feel - cheap and garish.

We had a table in Butcher's Cut on Meraviglia at the back, by one of the windows - it was wonderful!  We really felt like we were "eating out".  The lighting was nice and low and the only thing that spoiled the ambiance was that, on our second night (we got 2 BC meals for 2 back then) we chose the night that the children's jingle played in the Galleria as part of the ceiling "show" - TWICE in the time we were there!  That's the one downside of the Speciality Restaurants being in that area. 

Edited by Beamafar

We ate in "Eataly" on the Divina this past January. We were disappointed!  The food was good, but I was expecting Italian specialties of which there were none.  We had steak tartare for an appetizer and  grilled sea bass for the entree. .  And as a previous poster mentioned, the furniture and decor were NOT what one would expect in an up-charge restaurant. 

22 minutes ago, marco said:

We ate in "Eataly" on the Divina this past January. We were disappointed!  The food was good, but I was expecting Italian specialties of which there were none.  We had steak tartare for an appetizer and  grilled sea bass for the entree. .  And as a previous poster mentioned, the furniture and decor were NOT what one would expect in an up-charge restaurant. 

We had the opposite problem in the Galaxy Sushi, the location and ambience were lovely, however, our BC taster menu was very disappointing - we ended up leaving and going to the restaurant for actual food. We love sushi but it wasn't very good and there was so little of it.

Eataly is a joke. The decor is like High school cafeteria. 

If they wanna upsell, they should have put in a steak house.

I think Butcher's Cut is now open on Divina.

Edited by thetaro

• 4 years later...
21 minutes ago, tewkewl said:

I'm appalled by all of these comments. Have none of the passengers been to an Early on the mainland?  I would LOVE to have tried one on a ship.  The food is authentically Italian.  

This was all posted over 4 years ago...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

This was all posted over 4 years ago...

Indeed, I was very confused when a notification popped up.

On 5/1/2019 at 6:21 PM, Beamafar said:

That was how I felt about it, too, CF.  It didn't lend itself to an intimate, romantic "night out" kinda vibe.  Plus, the designer plastic chairs (ridiculously expensive, too!) looked - and made the place feel - cheap and garish.

We had a table in Butcher's Cut on Meraviglia at the back, by one of the windows - it was wonderful!  We really felt like we were "eating out".  The lighting was nice and low and the only thing that spoiled the ambiance was that, on our second night (we got 2 BC meals for 2 back then) we chose the night that the children's jingle played in the Galleria as part of the ceiling "show" - TWICE in the time we were there!  That's the one downside of the Speciality Restaurants being in that area. 

This has reminded me how excited we were about trying Butchers Cut on our Meraviglia cruise and unfortunately, reminded me of the worst meal experience we've ever had on a ship! I can't believe it's 4 years since our sailing 😱

7 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Indeed, I was very confused when a notification popped up.

This has reminded me how excited we were about trying Butchers Cut on our Meraviglia cruise and unfortunately, reminded me of the worst meal experience we've ever had on a ship! I can't believe it's 4 years since our sailing 😱

Yeah, I wondered at the notification, too.  Like “WT-“??? (Can’t add the third letter or it’ll be reported 🙄). 

OMG - 4 years since. Crikey!  😲

You have an upcoming cruise soon, don’t you?   Where are you off to?   We’re on Musica from Athens to Israel, Cyprus and Turkey in 13 days’ time.  (Somehow I doubt the OP will mind this thread being hijacked. 🤣). 

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1