Is there a gin based cocktail HAL is especially known for?

Catlover54

Relative newbie to HAL here, gin lover.

I know it will depend on the bartender to a great degree, but does anyone have a favorite for a gin based drink ( other than gin and tonic ) that HAL does especially well, like Crystal does? Zaandam, if it matters. I like cocktail adventures:)

Thanks!

The "Tanqueray 0010" martini comes to mind; Tanqueray 10 gin, Vox vodka, and a splash of Grand Marnier. Garnished with a bit of orange peel. 

The "Blue Florida" is kinda like a gin and tonic with lemon vodka and Curacao (regular and a splash of blue) added - very pretty and tasty. 

I also like the "Gin's Cup" - cucumber, Pimm's, gin, St. Germain, and lemon/lime sour. 

I have only seen these on HAL ships and all their ships should have almost identical bar offerings. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

The "Tanqueray 0010" martini comes to mind; Tanqueray 10 gin, Vox vodka, and a splash of Grand Marnier. Garnished with a bit of orange peel. 

We discovered this martini last month, it was SO good! Especially sitting in the ocean bar by the window watching the ocean swells roll by. Enjoy. 🙂

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

The "Blue Florida" is kinda like a gin and tonic with lemon vodka and Curacao (regular and a splash of blue) added - very pretty and tasty. 

I also like the "Gin's Cup" - cucumber, Pimm's, gin, St. Germain, and lemon/lime sour. 

I have only seen these on HAL ships and all their ships should have almost identical bar offerings. 

The Tanquery 0010 comes first to mind.  Had never heard of it before our first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam.  It is my favorite cocktail.  So ..... smooth.

• Like 1

I am a Gin drinker but primarily in Martini's.  I prefer Original Bombay Gin on the ship.  The Tangueray and Bombay Sapphire I find are too botanical.  When we first started sailing with HAL 10 years ago they had Beefeaters Gin, the ultimate London Dry in my opinion.  On the last few cruises they no longer stocked it.  When out by the pool I sometimes order a Cucumber Lime Smash.  Very refreshing.  I have them make it with the well gin instead of the well vodka.   

They serve the perfect gin drink - a glass of Hendricks on the rocks with a twist of lime. 

Some bat stewards know how to maje are the famous Dorothy Parker. It’s absolutely divine.

There is a pink grapefruit vodka cocktail that they make that is really really good and i am certain that you could ask for gin instead. it really is delicious. i am sorry, i do not recall what they call it . personally, i am in love with the st germain gin cocktail. and while HAL may not be known for it. i know that they can make it. any bar would have it.  st germain and gin were meant to be together. 

A vote for the classic Gimlet, with just a hint of Rose's and very cold.

And speaking of Dorothy Parker:

"I like to have a martini,

Two at the very most.

After three I'm under the table,

after four I'm under my host."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

There's always the Wang Wang. It's got Gin in it, among other things..............:classic_cool:

My nephews were drinking those on the Koningsdam, they LOVED them.

This is not a gin based drink but I loved the pool side car, my favorite............

Edited by doone

3 minutes ago, doone said:

My nephews were drinking those on the Koningsdam, they LOVED them.

It's an addictive drink but consuming more than one will/can have certain effects on the human body, just sayin' :classic_wink:

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

It's an addictive drink but consuming more than one will/can have certain effects on the human body y, just sayin' :classic_wink:

😃ya they didn't have many but did enjoy them when they did.  They have the beverage package on the next cruise, they are hoping they are included in that.................

• Like 1

We enjoy a nice Negroni (gin, Campari, sweet vermouth)when at home.  On the Koningsdam, in the Billboard lounge, they had a list of "special" drinks named after rock songs.  We tried a "Rolling in the Deep", which had a fruit infused Jim Beam bourbon substituted for the gin.  Amazing flavor.  Can't wait to try them on my next HAL voyage, if they have them.

In the latest Crow's Nest menu posted by the always helpful @Crew News, I noticed this new-to-me liquor named "Old Duff Genever" 

image.png.6c39c337f05b0c537416ca1b80b063f2.png

Has anyone tried these? 

Genever

Genever isn't like gin, not at all. 

Never trust someone who tells you it is. 

Good genever is a meticulously distilled multi-grain distillate, historically with a good bit of rye, that is sparingly flavoured with small amounts of juniper and (maybe) a small number of other botanicals. 

Historically, it wasn't aged, and it dates back to at least the late 1400s. 

You can make genever in Holland, Belgium, two areas of western Germany (Nordrhein-Westphalia and Niedersachsen) and two departments of north-eastern France (Nord and Pas-de-Calais). 

Historically, the most revered genever city was (and is) Schiedam, near Rotterdam, which is about an hour south of Amsterdam. 

In the late 1800s, Schiedam (pop. 77, 000) had a whopping 392 distilleries, supplying a thirsty world with fine Dutch genevers; Dutch genever sold for the same price as fine Irish whiskey and cognac.

Old Duff Genever, made in Schiedam, is a homage to that legacy.  

http://www.oldduffgenever.com/home.html

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/crows-nest-bar-menu-2

Edited by SempreMare