Decibel reader required on Pacific Explorer

Just returned from 10 nights on the Pacific Explorer  not my first time of this ship by any means but what have they done!!!  The sound system was working overtime  even with my fingers  in my ears I could not stay for the shows the noise was so bad  I asked the sound man why it had to be such high decibels and he said it was his instructions to keep people ,heaving   In a workplace the Health and Safety people would have been shutting it down.  I do hope that my next P&O cruise director has a better understanding of what is a comfortable good music background so we can enjoy the shows and speak with the friends we cruise with

I took measurements on board Ovation when I was on her ..there were a few venues where 90db was recorded ... you need to point out that such levels are damaging your hearing and you would be able to take them to court for exposing  you to such damage. there are a number of free apps for your phone to act as a sound measuring device

Levels above 90db ARE damaging hearing ... ask any audiologist 

Regards

John

PS FYI

Noise Source Decibel Level (dB) How long can you listen without protection?
Jet take off 130 0 minutes
Ambulance siren 109 Less than 2 minutes
Personal music player at maximum volume 106 3.75 minutes
Pop/Rock concert 103 7.5 minutes
Riding a motorcycle 97 30 minutes
Using an electric drill 94 1 hour

Most governments regulate noise exposure for safety reasons and the most commonly used maximum acceptable noise exposure level is 85 decibels over eight hours (a typical working day).

Edited by VK3DQ

53 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We are going on her next month, I do hope they have toned it down a bit.

you had better pack these..

11.jpg.126b6af68e650c882db64e44189983f7.jpg

If you sit in the theatre wearing them they may get the message.

I have written to the CEO and asked why this particular ship 'breaks the rules'   Hope to get a response   A class action from the wait staff would not be a good thing

Edited by windsor26

8 hours ago, windsor26 said:

I have written to the CEO and asked why this particular ship 'breaks the rules'   Hope to get a response   A class action from the wait staff would not be a good thing

The wait staff don't have the money to do that...

On 5/10/2019 at 3:11 PM, windsor26 said:

Just returned from 10 nights on the Pacific Explorer  not my first time of this ship by any means but what have they done!!!  The sound system was working overtime  even with my fingers  in my ears I could not stay for the shows the noise was so bad  I asked the sound man why it had to be such high decibels and he said it was his instructions to keep people ,heaving   In a workplace the Health and Safety people would have been shutting it down.  I do hope that my next P&O cruise director has a better understanding of what is a comfortable good music background so we can enjoy the shows and speak with the friends we cruise with

How is this the CD fault? Do they choose how loud everything is? I think not...

10 hours ago, DDG 41 said:

How is this the CD fault? Do they choose how loud everything is? I think not...

Of course she does  she can advise her back staff to do as she says  That is part  of her job

It's one thing if the music is way too loud, but I think that wanting lower volumes so that you can chat with friends isn't really on. People go to watch a show. Whispering to your companion during is a show is one thing, but holding a conversation while others are trying to watch (and listen) can be cause for a few stern looks, and rightly so.

Edited by Beejay4016

I'm fairly sure I was on the same cruise and I'm wondering what shows you are referring to, surely you go to watch the shows, not talk through them? I can't imagine "Rock Anthems Through the Ages" at a low level!

We've cruised on Celebrity Solstice three times. We've given up going to the production shows because the sound level has been far too high but on the first two cruises the rest of the music around the ship was at comfortable levels. However on our most recent Solstice cruise the music was far too loud in the Passport Bar and the Ensemble Bar. For the first time we noticed that the music wasn't just coming from speakers placed to the sides of the entertainers but was coming through the ship's speakers at the relevant bar, so the volume at areas as far away as possible from the entertainers was just as loud as right in front of them. You could not hold a conversation in those bars without shouting and that made the bars even noisier. Also on that cruise we noticed that non-urgent ship's announcements, eg port announcements, were clearly audible inside our cabin without opening the cabin door (normally they would be barely audible with the door closed). These noise levels were the one downside of what was our best Solstice cruise to date. 

Loud music wasn't a problem on my March cruise on Solstice.   The only time I did notice it was when I was having brekky early one morning out on the deck behind Oceanview.  The really loud rock music spoilt it -it is normally so peaceful there at that time.  

The few times we went to the Martini Bar the only music was that coming up from the deck below (Passport Bar) but it wasn't piped into the Martini Bar speakers. However the noise from the patrons of the Martini Bar was very loud, which is why we didn't go there much on that cruise.