For those currently on the Explorer

We will be sailing B2B2B this November/December on the Explorer and will have quite a bit if shipboard credit.  Can anyone advise of any of the shops sell fitness trackers (such as FitBit or similar) and what may be the price?  Mine is on its way out so also looking for a legit use for the credit.  Don't need regular watches (got the Citizen ones last time) Thanks.

I have not seen fitbits for sale onboard.  That is actually a good idea though.  The other thing they didn't have that I needed once was reading glasses because mine broke in route.  You would think that, given the age demographic, they would stock at least a few pairs.  Plenty of sunglasses, but no reading.

I don't recall any type of fitness tracker devices for sale on the Explorer (nor any other Regent ship.) I was on the Explorer two months ago.

Question? Are you sure that none of your OB credits are not redeemable for cash?

J

I haven't been on Explorer, but in the past have seen little of interest in the shops onboard, unless you're into high-end jewellery or high-fashion purses.  A few clothing items, and yes, some watches.  

I'm thinking of getting a Fitbit for my next cruise, which is in 2021 and thus am following the new models as they come out.  The newest one, the Inspire I guess it is, is looking good.  Any one I buy would have to be slim, and waterproof since I spend a lot of time in the water.  Unfortunately its something you'd be unlikely to get onboard a Regent ship.

Perhaps Regent should look into more practical items for their Boutique - both high and lower end.  While not trying to compare Regent to Celebrity, they sell Apple products onboard which makes it nice for people that need an accessory or even a new phone or iPad.  They also have $10 items.  Since, when you add NCL and Oceania, the company is big enough to have contracts with companies that sell products that passengers really want to purchase.

14 hours ago, JMARINER said:

I don't recall any type of fitness tracker devices for sale on the Explorer (nor any other Regent ship.) I was on the Explorer two months ago.

Question? Are you sure that none of your OB credits are not redeemable for cash?

J

All definitely  nonrefundable.  Will surely find something to spend it on....maybe a wine lunch or two,  personal training in the gym,  etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Perhaps Regent should look into more practical items for their Boutique - both high and lower end.  While not trying to compare Regent to Celebrity, they sell Apple products onboard which makes it nice for people that need an accessory or even a new phone or iPad.  They also have $10 items.  Since, when you add NCL and Oceania, the company is big enough to have contracts with companies that sell products that passengers really want to purchase.

More practical items for sure!  Do they really make that much $ on the high end items on terms of selling enough volume?

1 hour ago, Kwaj girl said:

More practical items for sure!  Do they really make that much $ on the high end items on terms of selling enough volume?

Great question!  I do recall some poster a year or two ago that found an item online for less price than in the Boutique.   It sounded as if the poster held Regent over a barrel by stating to Regent (according to their post on CC) that either they match the price they found or they would not book another cruise onboard.  While I found that tactic very poor and was disappointed that Regent gave in, it does show that they is a mark-up of some type on at least some of the items in the Boutique.

However, even with a mark-up, I would love to purchase a new iPhone (for instance) with OBC's - even if it is a couple of hundred dollars more than we could purchase it off of the ship.  It is likely that others would pay a bit more (in OBC's) for a Fitbit and other items currently not offered on Regent but are offered on other cruise lines.

If Regent would speak out, there is likely some sound reasons why they do not offer these products but we'll never know if they don't post about it.  

On 5/15/2019 at 1:48 PM, Kwaj girl said:

I wouldn't think so...I've bought a few polo shirts in the past, and other sundries, but I've never bought any high-dollar items on board.  I'd be more likely to buy more practical items, maybe branded water bottles or phone cases or...no, come to think of it, I probably wouldn't buy any of that, either.  My OBC goes for wine lunches and laundry, usually.

Remember (as frequently described in threads on this board), that you can retroactively use shipboard credits to pay for Regent Choice (i.e., those with a supplemental charge) excursions which you may have paid for before boarding.  Indeed, some SBC's now show up as a credit in advance and can be used to pay for excursions at booking, but those seem limited to SBC's from Regent.  SBC's from TA's seem to only be available after boarding.

Just go to the Excursion desk and ask to have the appropriate number of pre-booked, paid excursions rebooked with your SBC.  Current policy has done away with earlier policy of requiring that you effectively cancel and rebook with the possibility of ending up waitlisted.  It was totally transparent to us in February other than using up SBCs and receiving our Platinum discount (see below).

I might also add that this applies to reaching a new status level.  On our February cruise we'd booked a number of Regent Choice excursions in advance.  Since we became Platinum the day we boarded, the rebookings as described above also gave us the 10% Regent Choice excursion discounts.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 9:57 PM, Portolan said:

I might also add that this applies to reaching a new status level.  On our February cruise we'd booked a number of Regent Choice excursions in advance.  Since we became Platinum the day we boarded, the rebookings as described above also gave us the 10% Regent Choice excursion discounts.

Yes!  We will make good use of this on WC2021 when we rise to platinum upon boarding!

16 minutes ago, tripperva said:

I'd like a new Porsche.

Tripperva - I would guess that for the same cost of you (and your significant other) reaching Regent Platinum, you could probably have matching Porsche's sitting in your garage.  😉

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 12:03 PM, RachelG said:

I have not seen fitbits for sale onboard.  That is actually a good idea though.  The other thing they didn't have that I needed once was reading glasses because mine broke in route.  You would think that, given the age demographic, they would stock at least a few pairs.  Plenty of sunglasses, but no reading.

If you encounter this problem again, ask in Compass Rose. They keep several on hand to help people read menus. They might be willing to lend one for the duration of the cruise.