Ketchikan tragedy

DeanoNorthPerth

Oh my, so sorry for the family.  We are booked on a small plane tour from Ketchikan May 27 with Island Wings.  Seriously thinking about canceling.  We would forfeit our deposit but I can live with that.  

14 minutes ago, Lizard13 said:

Oh my, so sorry for the family.  We are booked on a small plane tour from Ketchikan May 27 with Island Wings.  Seriously thinking about canceling.  We would forfeit our deposit but I can live with that.  

Years ago we did a fair amount of flightseeing but ten years ago we decided it wasn’t worth the risk.

We are frequent visitors to Alaska and I totally understand why people take these flights, everything is gorgeous and breathtaking.  

Prayers to all.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Interesting and poignant, but  decidedly off topic for an Oceania Cruises Forum.  Why was it posted here?

Oceania cruises to Alaska. Many if not all those cruises stop in Ketchikan. Some passengers on those Oceania cruises may be contemplating scenic flights on small planes. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Oceania cruises to Alaska. Many if not all those cruises stop in Ketchikan. Some passengers on those Oceania cruises may be contemplating scenic flights on small planes. 

Totally agree.   Flightseeing trips are sold right on the dock, steps from where the Regatta was docked.  And it would be a shore excursion through O.

• Like 1

Totally agree with sammiedawg and DeanoNorth Perth. Misty Fijords is where the accident supposedly happened and we toured by boat. But the constant low cloud cover makes one wonder if low visibility played a roll?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sammiedawg said:

Totally agree.   Flightseeing trips are sold right on the dock, steps from where the Regatta was docked.  And it would be a shore excursion through O.

I still contend that this is  a bit far afield.  Tee shirts are sold at the pier as well, would a post about a fire in a tee shirt factory be appropriate?

Edited by StanandJim
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

So nothing at all to do with O?

No, nothing at all-

If you read the article it refers to a private air tour company which had  a contract running  with Princess.

There is not even a tangential connection with Oceania.  

2 hours ago, StanandJim said:

No, nothing at all-

If you read the article it refers to a private air tour company which had  a contract running  with Princess.

There is not even a tangential connection with Oceania.  

Has everything to do with O and every other cruise ship that visits these ports in Alaska.  Everyone should know the potential danger with these small planes even though the risk is slight. We have no idea which tour company O contracts with for their tours and which company's are used for private  tours.  We need as much info. as we can get and that is where these boards play a very big part. Sweeping this kind of news under the table is not the way we should go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Has everything to do with O and every other cruise ship that visits these ports in Alaska.  Everyone should know the potential danger with these small planes even though the risk is slight. We have no idea which tour company O contracts with for their tours and which company's are used for private  tours.  We need as much info. as we can get and that is where these boards play a very big part. Sweeping this kind of news under the table is not the way we should go.

What you continuously fail to comprehend, RJB, is that posting every type of information without any rhyme or reason will only diminish the communication which you are seeking to increase.

The sheer volume of random information would plunge Cruise Critic into unreadable chaos. 

The "rules" are there for a very good reason.  

In short, your knee jerks far too often for your own good.  😉

5 hours ago, StanandJim said:

I still contend that this is  a bit far afield.  Tee shirts are sold at the pier as well, would a post about a fire in a tee shirt factory be appropriate?

Just to entertain your perspective, yes it would if the tee shirt factory was a stop on an excursion from a cruise ship or a popular stop that is highly reviewed on Trip Advisor.  The flightseeing tours are standard fare for cruise visitors to ports and therefore there is a direct correlation.  Additionally, a much stronger correlation than some of the other dribble that makes it onto the various CC forums.

1 hour ago, ropomo said:

Just to entertain your perspective, yes it would if the tee shirt factory was a stop on an excursion from a cruise ship or a popular stop that is highly reviewed on Trip Advisor.  The flightseeing tours are standard fare for cruise visitors to ports and therefore there is a direct correlation.  Additionally, a much stronger correlation than some of the other dribble that makes it onto the various CC forums.

yes, just what we need to tell anyone that does not look at other cruise ship  boards. Need to know.

8 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

I thought this kind of news was supposed to be posted in the port of call section.  That way every one, no matter the cruise line,  will benefit from it.  

8 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

I thought this kind of news was supposed to be posted in the port of call section.  That way every one, no matter the cruise line,  will benefit from it.  

Good call, but no reason it could not be posted in both places so more people could see it.  Importnt enough for this.

8 hours ago, ChappChapp said:

Totally agree with sammiedawg and DeanoNorth Perth. Misty Fijords is where the accident supposedly happened and we toured by boat. But the constant low cloud cover makes one wonder if low visibility played a roll?

It's been a VERY LONG time since we cruised to Alaska -- June 1990 on Princess.  But we did a flight from Misty Fjords (don't recall if it was a ship's tour or private, PROBABLY the ship).  It was a wonderful day ... don't know if I'd do it again, though!

I agree that it is pertinent here.

My husband and I also did a flightseeing tour on one of those old floatplanes. it was wonderful but I remember a few years ago a similar incident with cruise passengers being killed on a cruise based flightseeing tour. I will be back in Alaska this summer so I am interested in this kind of information. 

Mary

• Like 1

For heavens sake!

Peoples lives have been lost and all we can do is bikker about if this is the place to talk about it and compare it to talking about dress codes.

Let's all step back and consider those poor people and their families.

Josie x

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1