Latitudes old v new levels

ziggyuk

Little bit of niche question on grandfathering of old tiers.

The background:

I did an old cruise years ago and been away from cruising until 2017 (after the tier changes).

I do not even remember anything about points and latitudes all those years ago but I'm told it existed, anyhow back to 2017 they set me up a new latitudes account and I had a grand total of 2 points after my first cruise, I did not bother with the old cruise as it says on the Latitudes page you only have 12 months to claim lost points. I'm now up to 29 points and started thinking about that old cruise and after seeing people on here saying they could be added, I gave it a go.

It is looking hopeful as I have been asked to provide evidence, I emailed it to them today, hopefully they were not just wasting my time asking for evidence and I should get the extra 16 nights 🙂 

I have seen people who cruised before the tier changes were grandfathered the old levels and move up quicker.

The question:

My new Latitudes account was set up post the tier changes but they (fingers crossed) will be adding a pre tier changes cruise.

Do you think I will be grandfathered they old levels or will I just get the points and stay on the new system? 

If the computer algorithm grandfathers-in based on the date of the first cruise I might be in luck, if it's based on the date the account was created i'm out of luck.

As I say, a bit niche but I hope it might have happened to someone before.

rewards-point-structure-1.jpg

Good luck! I was excited to reach Gold after my last sailing when I was still below the threshold for Gold under the new system. I have 49 points right now and I'm showing as Gold, even though the tiers clearly state that 55 points are required for Gold now. Unfortunately, the cruises I have currently booked will get me to 75 points. So under the old or new system, it's still going to take me one more sailing to reach Platinum after my two currently booked sailings.

• Thanks 1

My guess is that you will be on the new levels as the account was opened after the changes happened.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on though. My guess as to who the grandfathering applies to is that it is based on when the account was opened, so you may be something of a test case.

Of course, the fact that your other cruises are older may change that all anyway.

Let is know what happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My understanding was that if you had a cruise booked at the time of the change and that cruise would have pushed you to the next level on the old system upon sailing, then you got the next level because you were booked.

For instance, if you had 18 PRIOR to the change AND already had a 7 day cruise booked PRIOR to the change, then upon sailing that cruise even if it was after the change, you would have 25 points and qualify for Silver under the old rules even though you were short under the new rules.

I would tend to agree with Keith on that since your Latitudes account is a NEW account under the new rules, only those would apply and I doubt they would go back that far to bring those 2 points over.  Never hurts to try though.  Somehow my mom wound up with two Latitudes accounts although one had no point history but I did ask one time, if the second account had wound up with points, would they combine them and they said they would.

Go for it and see...

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Good luck! I was excited to reach Gold after my last sailing when I was still below the threshold for Gold under the new system. I have 49 points right now and I'm showing as Gold, even though the tiers clearly state that 55 points are required for Gold now. Unfortunately, the cruises I have currently booked will get me to 75 points. So under the old or new system, it's still going to take me one more sailing to reach Platinum after my two currently booked sailings.

Wow....you got up to Gold pretty quick!  Good for you.   

Thanks all, I'm happy to just get the points (fingers crossed) which will take me to 45 but if I get grandfathered in too it's an extra bonus, will report back.

22 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I have 49 points right now and I'm showing as Gold, even though the tiers clearly state that 55 points are required for Gold now.

Looking at your signature your first cruise was after the 2017 change, that's very odd, well done though 🙂 

Maybe I do have hope 🙂 

2 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Wow....you got up to Gold pretty quick!  Good for you.   

Yeah.... I have a serious addiction. I cannot help myself! After my Bliss sailing in December, I will be one point (or maybe 5?) away from Platinum after less than two years of cruising....

4 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Looking at your signature your first cruise was after the 2017 change, that's very odd, well done though 🙂 

Maybe I do have hope 🙂 

Good spot.

Maybe just having a cruise booked (so your latitudes number existing) is enough to grandfather in the old tier levels. Would that help you?

The alternative is that they are just ignoring the new tier levels. I’m not sure I’ve seen anybody report not getting the higher level.

19 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

My understanding was that if you had a cruise booked at the time of the change and that cruise would have pushed you to the next level on the old system upon sailing, then you got the next level because you were booked.

For instance, if you had 18 PRIOR to the change AND already had a 7 day cruise booked PRIOR to the change, then upon sailing that cruise even if it was after the change, you would have 25 points and qualify for Silver under the old rules even though you were short under the new rules.

That is what the new rules say, but it isn’t how it is being dealt with.

What is actually happening is that people are being given the tier levels based on the old rules even when they booked the cruises after the changes took effect.

If it was a bad thing then you would know all about it because there would be hundreds of multi page threads moaning about it. However, as it is a good thing it is rarely mentioned and few people know about it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

If it was a bad thing then you would know all about it because there would be hundreds of multi page threads moaning about it. However, as it is a good thing it is rarely mentioned and few people know about it.

So true! No one is going to light up the forums "complaining" about how they moved up a tier sooner than they expected!

Back when latitudes points were 2 a day if booked more than 9 months ahead of time we hit platinum on our third cruise, a 29 day b2b worth 58 points.  Got us to platinum plus in a hurry also.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Back when latitudes points were 2 a day if booked more than 9 months ahead of time we hit platinum on our third cruise, a 29 day b2b worth 58 points.  Got us to platinum plus in a hurry also.

Yeah, the best I have been able to do for extra points are the Past Guest Offer sailings that give you two points per night. I've also only been able to get enough vacation time at once to do 7-day sailings so far, but we have our first 12-day booked in December.

6 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Yeah, the best I have been able to do for extra points are the Past Guest Offer sailings that give you two points per night. I've also only been able to get enough vacation time at once to do 7-day sailings so far, but we have our first 12-day booked in December.

Don't forget if you can afford a (full not mini) suite you add an additional point per night.

Awhile back I scored 56 points on one cruise:

14 day cruise = 14 base points

in a suite = 14 additional points

booked 9 months out (expired program) = 14 points

and booked as a past guest (insider offer) = 14 points

Grand Total = 56 points

Learn how to game the system to achieve extra perks bennies status laundry bottles of bubbly invitations

to parties etc.

16 hours ago, rtkenmore said:

I would tend to agree with Keith on that since your Latitudes account is a NEW account under the new rules, only those would apply and I doubt they would go back that far to bring those 2 points over.  Never hurts to try though.  Somehow my mom wound up with two Latitudes accounts although one had no point history but I did ask one time, if the second account had wound up with points, would they combine them and they said they would.

Go for it and see...

I saw this happen with my daughter. When she checked her MyNCL account in the cab on the way to the hotel after disembarkation, she was happily surprised to see she was Gold and not the expected Silver.

The best we have done is 30 points for a ten night cruise booked nine months in advance (when it was still a thing) and a latitudes reward.

6 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Don't forget if you can afford a (full not mini) suite you add an additional point per night.

Awhile back I scored 56 points on one cruise:

14 day cruise = 14 base points

in a suite = 14 additional points

booked 9 months out (expired program) = 14 points

and booked as a past guest (insider offer) = 14 points

Grand Total = 56 points

Learn how to game the system to achieve extra perks bennies status laundry bottles of bubbly invitations

to parties etc.

I am aware of how to maximize potential points. Unfortunately, the extra point for booking 9 months out was gone before I even started sailing NCL and we have not been able to afford a suite or been able to get more than a week of vacation off at a time. Like I said, the best I've been able to do is get the Past Guest Offer on three of my 7-day sailings.

My points posted for my recent Alaska cruise, and while I did get the double points for booking before they removed the 9+ month benefit, I am sitting at 29 points and am still Bronze.  So, it does not appear that the Silver tier benefits from grandfathering.

3 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

My points posted for my recent Alaska cruise, and while I did get the double points for booking before they removed the 9+ month benefit, I am sitting at 29 points and am still Bronze.  So, it does not appear that the Silver tier benefits from grandfathering.

That’s interesting. I assume as you got the 9+ month points that it was booked a long time ago.

I’m quite sure people have reported this working for silver so it seems that either they have now stopped the grandfathering or you were just unlucky.

It will be interesting to hear other people’s experiences.

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

That’s interesting. I assume as you got the 9+ month points that it was booked a long time ago.

I’m quite sure people have reported this working for silver so it seems that either they have now stopped the grandfathering or you were just unlucky.

It will be interesting to hear other people’s experiences.

I originally booked in January 2017 when Bliss first opened, although I changed the date from 2018 to 2019 when this year's sailings were announced.  My booking remained grandfathered in all rules that were in effect on the day I originally booked, including the 90 day final payment and $13.50/day gratuities.

Has everyone who experienced an unexpected bump in status seen the new status appear as soon as the points posted, or was there a delay in the grandfathered level appearing?

2 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

I originally booked in January 2017 when Bliss first opened, although I changed the date from 2018 to 2019 when this year's sailings were announced.  My booking remained grandfathered in all rules that were in effect on the day I originally booked, including the 90 day final payment and $13.50/day gratuities.

Has everyone who experienced an unexpected bump in status seen the new status appear as soon as the points posted, or was there a delay in the grandfathered level appearing?

As far as I can tell (and all of my experience in this is based on CC postings) the higher level appears straight away.

Tacking on a dumb question. This post made me look at my points history. On one 7 day studio cruise, I got double points (14). I kind of assumed it was some sort of freebie because it was a really bad noro cruise (actually, I believe this specific one was food poisoning). I spent a lot of time in the infirmary (was just that sick). So I’ve always assumed that was just some random act of niceness.

But I see another 7 day studio cruise in my history where I also got double points.

Do they run promos sometimes where this happens and I just didn’t notice?

Again: definitely studio cruises. Not Haven. But it didn’t happen on all of them. 

17 minutes ago, perditax said:

Tacking on a dumb question. This post made me look at my points history. On one 7 day studio cruise, I got double points (14). I kind of assumed it was some sort of freebie because it was a really bad noro cruise (actually, I believe this specific one was food poisoning). I spent a lot of time in the infirmary (was just that sick). So I’ve always assumed that was just some random act of niceness.

But I see another 7 day studio cruise in my history where I also got double points.

Again: definitely studio cruises. Not Haven. But it didn’t happen on all of them. 

You must have booked when it was the latitudes bonus sailing or back when they gave an extra point for booking way in advance. I've sailed in the studios 3 times and only got 1 point per night. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 10:52 PM, perditax said:

If you booked a sailing that was a Latitudes Reward Past Guest Offer, then you get an extra point per night (and usually some OBC) if you are in a non-SailAway cabin.