Adventure vs. Explorer

Which ship do you prefer?  I know they're sister ships.  We actually were on Explorer of the Seas in 2001!  Seems like yesterday.  However, it's not yesterday.:classic_sad:

Which ship is in better condition.  Doing a quick read of current reviews, it seems Adventure gets pretty good reviews while Explorer's reviews are not great.

The room category we'd select would probably be a Junior Suite.  Itinerary Southern Caribbean.

35 minutes ago, mafig said:

Which ship do you prefer?  I know they're sister ships.  We actually were on Explorer of the Seas in 2001!  Seems like yesterday.  However, it's not yesterday.:classic_sad:

Which ship is in better condition.  Doing a quick read of current reviews, it seems Adventure gets pretty good reviews while Explorer's reviews are not great.

The room category we'd select would probably be a Junior Suite.  Itinerary Southern Caribbean.

The ships are virtually identical, I'd pick whichever gives you the better price and/or itinerary.

Thank you.  I did mention that I know the ships are sister ships.  However, I was asking if anyone knew which ship was in better condition since the reviews are not similar (at all).  Thanks, Biker 19.  I have found out that Explorer is due for a dry dock in 2020.  

Explorer a rust bucket?!

4 hours ago, mafig said:

Explorer is a total rust bucket - find the pictures in this forum and judge for yourself...🙄

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

Read the thread where those photos were first posted. Any problems have been addressed.

(If you go looking for faults  it'll become self fulfilling)

This.  We've been on EX several times and are booked again next January pre dry dock.  Yes she's a little tired but still a great ship and crew.  Have also been on AD many times and she's a great ship as well.  I'd go with the best itinerary and price, you can't go wrong either way.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

Read the thread where those photos were first posted. Any problems have been addressed.

(If you go looking for faults  it'll become self fulfilling)

Not true! 👎

Some things were repaired......but some can not be done until drydock - so at this point the ship is just not up to date and does not compare to the other RCI ships that we know....it is old and worn and that will not change until drydock.😥

Also the offerings on the ship are below standard - as eg the WJ is so old it does not even have the capability to offer things other ships have ben offering for years.....as just one little example:

If you like fresh waffels fo breakfast - no such thing on Explorer....as they do not have the waffel stations in the WJ.....and the list goes on and on....😱

Explorer  not a BAD ship....just old and not up todate and not what you expect from RCI - so set your expectations low!🙄

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, #1cruiseaholic said:

When is drydock scheduled for Explorer? We will be on the TA in Nov 2020.

You are fine...it is in spring 2020!👍

I would stay away from Explorer until drydock - it was the worst RCI experience when it comes to maitenance and offerings for us....a bit disappointing....😥

27 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Explorer  not a BAD ship....just old and not up todate and not what you expect from RCI - so set your expectations low!🙄

Explorer is not all that old; it was built in 2000 but had a dry dock in 2015 during which some big changes were made, such as adding Izumi and new staterooms on decks 3 and 12.  The added staterooms are in all Voyager Class ships and are a mixed blessing since they reduce the space ratio.  However, the Explorer does not have many of the bells and whistles that were added to the Mariner and the Navigator.  The Adventure had its dry dock in 2018 but it is still not as up-to-date as those other two.  On the other hand, the Explorer still has some nice original features that have been removed from the Adventure such as the library on deck 7 overlooking the Promenade, the Concierge Club on deck 9 and the Connoisseur Club on deck 5.  Last time I was on the ship, that Concierge Club still admitted Diamond Plus members, which eased the overcrowding in the Diamond Club.  Personally, I think the ships are close enough to equal that the decision should be based on itinerary and price, rather than on the ship.

Edited by actuarian

6 minutes ago, actuarian said:

On the other hand, the Explorer still has some nice original features that have been removed from the Adventure such as the library on deck 7 overlooking the Promenade, the Concierge Club on deck 9 and the Connoisseur Club on deck 5.

If you value this.....it might make up for some of the short commings!👍

We have been on Adverture before her drydock - she was a beauty compared to Explorer....never ever was she that rundown!👍

6 minutes ago, actuarian said:

Explorer is not all that old; it was built in 2000 but had a dry dock in 2015 during which some big changes were made, such as adding Izumi and new staterooms on decks 3 and 12.  The added staterooms are in all Voyager Class ships and are a mixed blessing since they reduce the space ratio.  However, the Explorer does not have many of the bells and whistles that were added to the Mariner and the Navigator.  The Adventure had its dry dock in 2018 but it is still not as up-to-date as those other two.  On the other hand, the Explorer still has some nice original features that have been removed from the Adventure such as the library on deck 7 overlooking the Promenade, the Concierge Club on deck 9 and the Connoisseur Club on deck 5.  Last time I was on the ship, that Concierge Club still admitted Diamond Plus members, which eased the overcrowding in the Diamond Club.  Personally, I think the ships are close enough to equal that the decision should be based on itinerary and price, rather than on the ship.

Re-post was accidental but I do not know how to remove it.

Edited by actuarian

We sailed Explorer for our Alaska cruise in September 2018. We thought she was lovely. No issues. We’ve also sailed Freedom, Oasis and Symphony (and Disney Dream). She doesn’t have water slides but our cabins (aft balcony and promenade view) were clean, serviceable and comfortable. Dining was great at MDR, Windjammer, Chops and Giovanni’s. The bars and theatre were comfortable. We enjoyed the pools and solarium. We had no complaints. If you get a price and itinerary that suits you, I’d say go for it!

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2019 at 3:50 PM, mafig said:

We were on her in 2002, in 2 junior suites.

Cheap prices way back then.

On 5/31/2019 at 7:52 PM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Explorer a rust bucket?!

Explorer is a total rust bucket - find the pictures in this forum and judge for yourself...🙄

Once you have read the above review read this review also.

We were on the Explorer in June 2019 and found Sancho_proudfoot  review more accurate