Coco Cay - Our Experience

1 minute ago, MandyMooToo said:

I see your point there but I am hoping there won’t be many cruisers carrying a box cutter or chain cutter. As for employees, same thing there. I like to think most of them are fairly honest so that they can keep their jobs. But I may be naive about it🤷🏼‍♀️

Understood...we certainly don't want anyone to suffer a loss at all. We're just pointing out that there's been a long-standing rule when it comes to "security" - for every lock...there's a key (or something that accomplishes what a key does). It's prudent to minimize valuables in any destination where various tourists are located. Heck...in some European ports stops...they repeatedly tell passengers to be on the constant lookout for pickpockets.

• Like 2

Just visited Perfect Day at Coco Cay.  And it was perfect!  Albeit a bit hot.  We visited this past sunday (6/2).  The beach area was amazing.  A ton of shaded chairs.  We rented a mat (not thrilled about $18).  Had a great time swimming!  We had purchase 1/2 day in waterpark in the morning but RCCL moved it to afternoon.  I read the reason was because the morning half day people were staying all day and therefore, the lines were too long.  Makes total sense.  We went in around 12:30pm.  HOT!. We waited about 40 minutes for the tallest ride.  I absolutely hated the ride.  But that's because it's very long (tallest in North America) and the tube is very very warm and stuffy.  And dark.  And Im quite claustrophobic.  Glad we did it but only once!  Then we did the second tallest.  It was shorter so easier to tolerate but we didnt ride the other tube rides.  Not good for claustrophobic people!  WE also did one of the tube rides.  It was a ton of fun!  It was like 90 degrees so i refused to carry my own tube up that many stairs so we left.  The sidewalks were too hot for my sensitive feet and then the sand is full of shells....ouch.  The oasis pool was EPIC!  Only complaint was in the afternoon, it was extremely busy by the swim up bar and very very very loud.  Too loud to enjoy the bar.  We got drinks and hung out under the bridge in the shade.  But that pool.......amazing!  Waited only about 10 minutes for the tram so no complaints.  We can't wait to go back when the south beach area is done along with those over the water cabanas.  Perfect Day at CocoCay was amazing and RCCL has made it a destination and not just a filler day.  Can't wait to go back!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 2:01 PM, SAmome said:

Thanks for the review. It's good to have some reminders about securing valuables and the stings might make some more likely to consult with lifegaurds before entering, especially if have allergic reactions to stings.

One quick question, are you sure you were in the Chill island beach area as opposed to the South beach area?  I think of the south beach area as the beach that goes a long way out shallow. 

Sounds like the fire coral/jellyfish larva whatever might be all over the island.  Harbor beach might be "safer" for those with young kids if the bites are coming from something hanging out in the seaweed.

44E16380-0A23-4EED-A651-F9FF0BF44937.jpe

Can you tell me if the island paths are suitable for electric mobility scooters? Thank you.

6 hours ago, karena1 said:

So strange- we have been to CocoCay over 50 times and have never had anything taken.  We go snorkeling, into the water, to lunch, etc and never take our bag with us.  I take my money but that is it.  never have had any issues, so sorry it happened to you.

In privates islands specially coco cay our guards are super dowm, never have had any issue

5 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

In privates islands specially coco cay our guards are super dowm, never have had any issue

Exactly.  We just never worry and never have any problems.  We don't have issues in other islands. But then again, I don't leave anything valuable in my bag unless we are in the water and then I can see my bag from the water.  If we snorkel, my money/seapass are with me.  We don't take a lot of valuable stuff to the beach.

There are many more workers on Coco Cay now, and they are needed to give guests the perfect day experience.  It used to be mainly the crew onboard that got off the ship and worked the island and they had a lot to lose if caught doing something. Obviously could be another pax rifling thru and taking stuff but there are cameras everywhere on a ship but not so much on the island so this thread has been a good reminder regarding valuables.

We have a PacSafe backpack that we really like.  It has a lot of features to deter both a casual/opportunistic thief as well as those who are more determined.  They offer a wide variety of styles.  Still, as Cruisefan states, nothing is perfect and the best advise is to minimize valuables whenever possible.

• Like 2

Another option to keep your valuables in is the KYSS bag.

A nice big beach bag that has a chain that locks to your loungers.

Had our first one for over 7 yearsish, on our second.

Google it, it is worth the $$.

Would of had  the first one  longer but put it in washing machine and the lock did not like the spin cycle.

Safe travels.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, charmy98 said:

Can you tell me if the island paths are suitable for electric mobility scooters? Thank you.

I think the paths would be ok for scooters, but the paths don't go a lot of places.  You still have to get on the sand to get to the different areas, except for the water park.

Edited by lindalo5032

On 6/3/2019 at 11:45 AM, ticketsunlimited said:

Cant imagine another cruise guest going out of the way to steal somebody's friggan hearing aids.  Has it come to that?

My guess is that because it was in a box, the person thought it was jewelry.

19 hours ago, lindalo5032 said:

I think the paths would be ok for scooters, but the paths don't go a lot of places.  You still have to get on the sand to get to the different areas, except for the water park.

Thanks, so do you know if a path goes all the way to Oasis Lagoon where the swimming pool is?

38 minutes ago, charmy98 said:

Thanks, so do you know if a path goes all the way to Oasis Lagoon where the swimming pool is?

If you zoom in on the map, you can see that the path goes close to the pool, but you do have to get off the path and go through the sand to get to the pool. 

Edited by lindalo5032
  • Thanks 1