Coco Cay - Our Experience

South Beach is open.  We were there last week in a Beach Bungalow.  That map isn't accurate currently.  At least parts of South Beach will have to close for the building of the Coco Beach Club.  I don't know when any parts of South Beach will close, but it is open right now with Beach Bungalows and Beach Beds.

My wife and others on South Beach also experienced the "bites."  We were told it was Fire Coral which are not actually coral but closer in relation to jellyfish.  Also may have been sea lice (jelly fish larvae).  Multiple people experienced them.  No animal/organism was ever seen.

Also I agree about the tram situation.  They seemed to be running quickly early in the morning but much much less frequent as the day went on.

13 minutes ago, parothead said:

we rented a cabanna on Chill Island for December and it says they have a place to lock valuables in.

There was a box to put your belongings in but there was no lock. Kinda like a storage bin-plenty is space but no real way to keep it 100% secured. Just chucked the big items for storage and placed the towels on it to keep it out of sight. 

We were 8 so the cabana was never unattended plus we had #4 so even from the ocean it was in easy eyesight. I would definitely say leave any valuables on the ship. The description also said it comes with a usb for music, but it didn’t. We had I own little Bluetooth music which we used to play (quiet) soothing tunes. The floating mats (2) were a plus (free). I hated the Evian water-would have much preferred the other water that was in the ship. 

Tram was a mess. It took us from the ship to the zip line area, essentially the beginning of cococay. Asked if they went to chill island and was told they only go to south beach (made no sense). Initially we walked  cross the bridge and took a long walk-about 15 minutes to make it to the cabana. We were fine but my mother has problems walking so it was a challenge. We later figured out the fastest way too and from was to go past the bar/shower area towards the oasis pool/splash away bay. That way it was closer to 5-8 mins to get around. 

No bites during our time in the water-spent close to 5 hours in the roped off area by the cabanas and went snorkeling without any issues. Also noticed no insects and the cabana was nice and breezy-never used the fan. At first I thought it would be a tight fit for 8 but since we all kinda came and went at our own pace, there was plenty of space for all of us. Good times 😉

Edited by Jerseygirl2624

6 hours ago, NanciRDH said:

Wow.  I just looked at the map, and it all looks so unfamiliar to me!  We were there in October and January, South Beach was open, I did the beach beds in October, but the entire island center was behind walls, and didn't look much different from one visit to the next.  I can't even envision where the tender loading zone was from this map.  We  cruise on Symphony in July, can't wait to see all the changes!

The Tenders docked at what is now Harbor Beach. 

1 hour ago, CruiseMomTX said:

We were there on May 20th, bought the full day waterpark pass for our teen boys went it went on sale almost half price.  We were in our beach chairs by at 8:30 am and sent them off to ride water slides before it got busy.  Well they rode 1 slide, the tallest one and after that said they lines were 30 min to an hour long!!  I couldn't believe it got so busy so fast.  I would not wast money on the waterpark unless you are willing to wait in long lines all day.  We enjoyed everything else and since our drink package worked they only other thing we spent money on was a few souvenirs.   Get off the ship early if you want the best place to sit for the day. 

How was the wave pool?  We were thinking of doing the waterpark (just to see it), but mostly hang out around there for part of the day unless lines are unexpectedly short.

• Clarea changed the title to Coco Cay - Our Experience
38 minutes ago, j1d1 said:

South Beach is open.  We were there last week in a Beach Bungalow.  That map isn't accurate currently.  At least parts of South Beach will have to close for the building of the Coco Beach Club.  I don't know when any parts of South Beach will close, but it is open right now with Beach Bungalows and Beach Beds.

South Beach was open on the 26th as we walked down to the beach beds we had rented in the past that are located just past the floating bar.

We did not visit the water park, but we were impressed by how much work had been done on the island since our previous visit in February.

Yes there's a lot of walking, but only from the ship along the pier. The walking is much easier on the paver walk ways. Time from off the ship to the beach/pool is about 5 minutes or so, which is at least 20 minutes faster than the tender boat (it was often quite a bit longer if when you consider waiting in the lines prior to boarding and sitting on the tender boats waiting for them to fill up).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SAmome said:

One quick question, are you sure you were in the Chill island beach area as opposed to the South beach area?  I think of the south beach area as the beach that goes a long way out shallow.

The area in front of the cabanas in Chill Island is very shallow and if the tide was out, the remaining area would be pretty shallow too.

31 minutes ago, kathy884 said:

How was the wave pool?  We were thinking of doing the waterpark (just to see it), but mostly hang out around there for part of the day unless lines are unexpectedly short.

They didn't try the wave pool and hubby and I did not have passes and they would not let us in the waterpark area at all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SAmome said:

One quick question, are you sure you were in the Chill island beach area as opposed to the South beach area?  I think of the south beach area as the beach that goes a long way out shallow. 

I was thinking the same, my family book a cabana that are near chill island and the beach never goes a long way out shallow and when we dont book it we stay in what is called now chill island, but she said she was in chill island beach so :classic_blink:

13 hours ago, CruiseMomTX said:

We were there on May 20th, bought the full day waterpark pass for our teen boys went it went on sale almost half price.  We were in our beach chairs by at 8:30 am and sent them off to ride water slides before it got busy.  Well they rode 1 slide, the tallest one and after that said they lines were 30 min to an hour long!!  I couldn't believe it got so busy so fast.  I would not wast money on the waterpark unless you are willing to wait in long lines all day.  We enjoyed everything else and since our drink package worked they only other thing we spent money on was a few souvenirs.   Get off the ship early if you want the best place to sit for the day. 

Did they let your teenagers in without you being present?  I thought an adult over 18 was required.  I'm traveling with about 8 teenagers in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out if I need a pass

1 hour ago, tendervittles said:

Did they let your teenagers in without you being present?  I thought an adult over 18 was required.  I'm traveling with about 8 teenagers in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out if I need a pass

They were 15, 15 & 19 and said they scanned their sea pass cards to make sure they bought the waterpark pass.  So they did have someone over 18 with them and weren't questioned but I guess they could possibly see their ages when they scanned their cards.  I think they did give them wristbands to come and go and not have to scan their cards again so I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't let me in and just not give me a wristband.  I'm sure it will be like most things cruising it depends who you ask either before or at the entrance what information you will get.  I wouldn't waste the money unless they like waiting in long lines and no way would I pay to go supervise and not ride.  I understand them not wanting a bunch of unruly kids running around but they need to figure out a system like no wristbands for people that don't have a pass because not every parent wants to or can ride the waterslides or other things.

17 hours ago, j1d1 said:

My wife and others on South Beach also experienced the "bites."  We were told it was Fire Coral which are not actually coral but closer in relation to jellyfish.  Also may have been sea lice (jelly fish larvae).  Multiple people experienced them.  No animal/organism was ever seen.

Question how far from shore did people experience these bites? Are people mainly experiencing these bites at both Chill Island and South Beach? I would like to be cautious but still enjoy getting into the water, We will be at Coco Cay this October I would love to know the best ways to avoid these things.

15 minutes ago, Swank Pad G said:

Question how far from shore did people experience these bites? Are people mainly experiencing these bites at both Chill Island and South Beach? I would like to be cautious but still enjoy getting into the water, We will be at Coco Cay this October I would love to know the best ways to avoid these things.

At times, we've encountered jellyfish at Coco Cay very close to the shore as we are swimming out to the snorkel areas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Swank Pad G said:

We were on South Beach where my wife and multiple others experienced them. It was in fairly shallow water. The OP for this post experienced them at Chill Island. I’m not really sure how to avoid them as I still am not completely sure what caused it. Staying out of the water is probably the only 100% way to avoid it. Also possible that the risk is lower at other times of the year when water temp is different. I wish I had better advice. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 11:45 AM, ticketsunlimited said:

Cant imagine another cruise guest going out of the way to steal somebody's friggan hearing aids.  Has it come to that?

May sound silly but someone could have stolen them to resell.  My hearing aids cost near five figures (so thank goodness for insurance) and if they knew what they were picking up...who knows? 

As for as the poster that said they look like a wireless headset, mine are very tiny and newer versions seem to get smaller every time they come out!  Of course the OP's husband may have a much larger version.  Just a crazy thing to take, I'll be leaving mine onboard!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swank Pad G said:

We were not very far from shore at all at Chill Beach.  The water was pretty shallow, probably not much above my waist.  I don't know any way to avoid them since they are very difficult to see.  Evidently they are there sometimes, and sometimes not.  The water was very murky, with lots of seaweed, so maybe those conditions are favorable for the nasty little critters.

Edited by lindalo5032
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

May sound silly but someone could have stolen them to resell.  My hearing aids cost near five figures (so thank goodness for insurance) and if they knew what they were picking up...who knows? 

As for as the poster that said they look like a wireless headset, mine are very tiny and newer versions seem to get smaller every time they come out!  Of course the OP's husband may have a much larger version.  Just a crazy thing to take, I'll be leaving mine onboard!

My husband's were fairly large, behind the ear hearing aids.  They were in a little box with no markings to indicate what was inside.  I agree, he shouldn't have brought them--I didn't know that he did.  But they took other things, including his watch, sunglasses, and my cell phone charger & cord, so evidently they were looking for anything that wasn't clothing or towels.

2 minutes ago, lindalo5032 said:

My husband's were fairly large, behind the ear hearing aids.  They were in a little box with no markings to indicate what was inside.  I agree, he shouldn't have brought them--I didn't know that he did.  But they took other things, including his watch, sunglasses, and my cell phone charger & cord, so evidently they were looking for anything that wasn't clothing or towels.

That really stinks, I am sorry it happened.  I tend to forget to take mine out or I'll take them out and leave them out for a few days at a time because I am so forgetful!  Mine are kept in a small black leather box so I get what you mean about that.  I think I am going to look at the Kyss bags before our next cruise.

When is the first formal night on Harmony now that day #2 is always in Coco Cay? Formal night was traditionally on day #2 which was always a sea day. Has formal night #1 been moved to day #3?

So strange- we have been to CocoCay over 50 times and have never had anything taken.  We go snorkeling, into the water, to lunch, etc and never take our bag with us.  I take my money but that is it.  never have had any issues, so sorry it happened to you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MandyMooToo said:

That really stinks, I am sorry it happened.  I tend to forget to take mine out or I'll take them out and leave them out for a few days at a time because I am so forgetful!  Mine are kept in a small black leather box so I get what you mean about that.  I think I am going to look at the Kyss bags before our next cruise.

Unfortunately man y of those "security bags" are one box cutter or one chain cutter away from being useless.

21 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Unfortunately man y of those "security bags" are one box cutter or one chain cutter away from being useless.

I see your point there but I am hoping there won’t be many cruisers carrying a box cutter or chain cutter. As for employees, same thing there. I like to think most of them are fairly honest so that they can keep their jobs. But I may be naive about it🤷🏼‍♀️