NCL System Error Lost Us Our Perks, Check Your Accounts

Fellow Cruisers,

I would strongly recommend you go online and check your NCL account.

We are 16 days away from our sailing on the PoA. Yesterday, I made a dining reservation using one of my three Specialty Dining credits, but when they sent me my confirmation email, it said my account balance was $1,813. Even though I paid everything off back in February. I checked my online NCL account again, and it was asking me to pay for my Free Airfare. So I thought, that's weird it's a glitch and it will surely fall off my account. Kind of like when NCL double charged me for a shore excursion and it took a week for that charge to disappear. I waited until this morning and thought it was concerning, but then I noticed all my other perks had disappeared too. No more 3-Specialty Dining Meals or Beverage Package, and actually charging me for my Free Airfare. I decided it was time to call.

The first person I spoke with did not understand my issue at all. They told me that it looked like I had added airfare myself and simply needed to pay. I explained Free Airfare was an included perk when I booked online, along with 3 Specialty Dining, and the Beverage Package. They didn't see any of those perks in my account, which is what I told them when I called.  Hence, why I was calling. They had the nerve to ask me if I was sure those perks were included because some times when you book online you think you're getting the perks, but you aren't...

I couldn't believe it! I'm 16 days from sailing and they're trying to tell me I lost all my perks and now am being charged for airfare. Thankfully, I've kept every email NCL has sent me about this cruise. I explained to them that I could see from my original booking receipt all the promo codes I received.  After a few minutes of circling back to the same issues, they added all my perks back to my account. However, they couldn't take away the $72 charge for my first dining reservation, which I made back in February. Even though, it's apart of my included perks! They transferred me to Guest Services, who immediately wondered why I was calling them since I haven't sailed yet and I needed to talk to Reservations. I literally had to ask them to wait and hear me out, since I was just transferred from Reservations. Thankfully, they kept me on the line!

After 45 minutes on the phone, they stated that when they recently did an update to their online system it caused an error, and I was affected by the error. They said, sorry and played off the fact that through no fault of mine, and only through my persistence, everything was straightened out.

Imagine if you weren't persistent, or if you questioned whether you actually booked all those perks, didn't save your emails/receipts, and ended up paying for something that was included. Unbelievable! 

Check your accounts folks, cross your fingers the "error" didn't get you too!

Tim

Edited by antsmarching777
  • Like 3

This is exactly why I tell people to use a TA or a PCC to make their bookings.

A) There is no cost for their services, and B) they have to handle resolving issues of this type...it is their job.

When a person decides to be their own booking agent, they also assume the responsibility for running down and resolving any and all issues on their own.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, antsmarching777 said:

Fellow Cruisers,

I would strongly recommend you go online and check your NCL account.

We are 16 days away from our sailing on the PoA. Yesterday, I made a dining reservation using one of my three Specialty Dining credits, but when they sent me my confirmation email, it said my account balance was $1,813. Even though I paid everything off back in February. I checked my online NCL account again, and it was asking me to pay for my Free Airfare. So I thought, that's weird it's a glitch and it will surely fall off my account. Kind of like when NCL double charged me for a shore excursion and it took a week for that charge to disappear. I waited until this morning and thought it was concerning, but then I noticed all my other perks had disappeared too. No more 3-Specialty Dining Meals or Beverage Package, and actually charging me for my Free Airfare. I decided it was time to call.

The first person I spoke with did not understand my issue at all. They told me that it looked like I had added airfare myself and simply needed to pay. I explained Free Airfare was an included perk when I booked online, along with 3 Specialty Dining, and the Beverage Package. They didn't see any of those perks in my account, which is what I told them when I called.  Hence, why I was calling. They had the nerve to ask me if I was sure those perks were included because some times when you book online you think you're getting the perks, but you aren't...

I couldn't believe it! I'm 16 days from sailing and they're trying to tell me I lost all my perks and now am being charged for airfare. Thankfully, I've kept every email NCL has sent me about this cruise. I explained to them that I could see from my original booking receipt all the promo codes I received.  After a few minutes of circling back to the same issues, they added all my perks back to my account. However, they couldn't take away the $72 charge for my first dining reservation, which I made back in February. Even though, it's apart of my included perks! They transferred me to Guest Services, who immediately wondered why I was calling them since I haven't sailed yet and I needed to talk to Reservations. I literally had to ask them to wait and hear me out, since I was just transferred from Reservations. Thankfully, they kept me on the line!

After 45 minutes on the phone, they stated that when they recently did an update to their online system it caused an error, and I was affected by the error. They said, sorry and played off the fact that through no fault of mine, and only through my persistence, everything was straightened out.

Imagine if you weren't persistent, or if you questioned whether you actually booked all those perks, didn't save your emails/receipts, and ended up paying for something that was included. Unbelievable! 

Check your accounts folks, cross your fingers the "error" didn't get you too!

Tim

I know that there has been a system glitch or system problem that provoked NCL to write a "System Error" message.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

This is exactly why I tell people to use a TA or a PCC to make their bookings.

A) There is no cost for their services, and B) they have to handle resolving issues of this type...it is their job.

When a person decides to be their own booking agent, they also assume the responsibility for running down and resolving any and all issues on their own.

If you can get your PCC to acknowledge what you originally booked.  I am having issues with a group booked right now and have been waiting a week for response to my 3 emails and 4 phone calls!! 

We just had our NCL booked flights for our October Transatlantic cruise disappear.  Talked to our PCC and he said this is all due to their recent system conversion/merging. He said it’s chaos there (You think?) so yes, check your reservation and call if things are amiss.  We are still waiting for them to resolve our flight issues.  I had flights and seat assignments in the Delta system that no longer exist.

When we saw they were having a system upgrade we printed all our information of the things we purchased and our OBC.

We were not affected with any errors of our reservation, but I wanted to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

My reservation for October to Hawaii from Vancouver was also affected. My OBC didn't show and it was no longer showing as a Past Guest Perk.  I called my travel agent and she said it was a glitch since NCL was updateing thier progam. I called her again today and had her send me a copy of the amenities reciept. She then waited on hold with NCL to finally get me my $200 OBC. Definitely, agree you need to check your booking.

I lost my UBP and dining perks. My TA is still trying to sort it out for us. Supposedly they refunded us the gratuities from the perks (we are after final payment) so we need to wait for it to return back to our card and then pay again before they will add it back to our reservation.  

The same happened to us.  We are leaving in 15 days, and they still have not fixed it.  The person I talked to was really nice and explained about the error, but I am really nervous as they still cannot fix it.  They said the account was locked and no one could get into it to change it.   She was hoping it would be resolved by the “end of the week”.  As of this morning it is still showing we owe $1038!😳

This is another reason as said, to use a TA or PCC I do keep track of our booking from time to time and thank God never a problem, but once our TA did find out there was one. We changed our sailing from one date to just another and the entire booking got lost. Our agent was able to trace down the problem. I think, if I remember right, we did lose one of our perks and had to change cabins, but it wasn't a disaster. OP, I am so sorry you had to deal with the problem. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately using a TA doesn't relieve you of worry. We've had a few instances with different TA's that I had to intervene and have them correct.

Last year we were talking to a couple across dinner tables and I had to give them some unfortunate news. They mentioned something about our cruise being shifted from Eastern to Western and that they just found out a week or two before. I told them that we knew about the switch seven months prior. They never got notice from NCL, so I asked if they used a TA and they did. I told them to switch TA's because she got the message. We didn't talk about how much we each paid for the cruise, but it came up that they paid $600-$700 each for the  drink package. I guess the look on my face told them that something wasn't right, and they insisted that I spill my guts. Lucky it was the last night on the cruise, so at least they had a good week. I told them that I would immediately get with my TA when I returned home. Of course their TA is a trusted family friend that they've know all their lives and they wouldn't want to make waves.

• Like 1

It happened to me on  a Joy cruise in September. It removed all my peks and said that I had a -$236 balance. I don't mind a refund but I wanted to know why. I figured something was amiss. I called immediately. The representative recognized the problem and it took about 30 minutes to fix. 

So it sounds like this problem isn't necessarily an isolated incident, but an ongoing one. That's disappointing to hear that so many others have had to struggled with similar issues. 

At the end of the day, we're all pretty lucky to be taking wonderful vacations. It's easy to get lost in these frustrations, but as long as a solution is reached the destination and experience should be worth it.

23 hours ago, SBNDers said:

Unfortunately using a TA doesn't relieve you of worry. We've had a few instances with different TA's that I had to intervene and have them correct.

Last year we were talking to a couple across dinner tables and I had to give them some unfortunate news. They mentioned something about our cruise being shifted from Eastern to Western and that they just found out a week or two before. I told them that we knew about the switch seven months prior. They never got notice from NCL, so I asked if they used a TA and they did. I told them to switch TA's because she got the message. We didn't talk about how much we each paid for the cruise, but it came up that they paid $600-$700 each for the  drink package. I guess the look on my face told them that something wasn't right, and they insisted that I spill my guts. Lucky it was the last night on the cruise, so at least they had a good week. I told them that I would immediately get with my TA when I returned home. Of course their TA is a trusted family friend that they've know all their lives and they wouldn't want to make waves.

of course nothing can assure us these things won't happen, but some things will help. A good travel agent is just one of them. 

In this computer age we live in its always a good idea to keep that paper trail. I Print everything as soon as I make reservation, dining times, perks, etc. 

Never know when those dreaded computer glitches pop up. And yes they can be a pain.

OP , glad it worked out and even though it took some time well worth that time spent on phone.

about 2 years, my specially dinning perk was removed from my booking. Then when my travel agent added it back, they was a issue with the dining perk service charge perk not being applied correctly or something like that. It took what seem like forever to fix everything. kinda odd/strange this is still happening

Hi

we are booked on the Getaway on the 25th June, Since Thursday the system has lost our "free at sea offers. dining and beverage package, also the system shows £2009.10 outstanding even though it was paid in full at he the time of booking  last month, in total £4600 was paid last month for 3 of us in a mini suite.

NCL blame computer upgrade and say the problems should be resolved by Monday!

Lets see!!!!

Darren