Why I use a U.S. Agent

I decided last night to book two cruises, back to back, on the Ovation of the Seas in April/May 2021

First cruise is Singapore to Tokyo followed by Tokyo to Seattle.

I booked a D3 balcony on deck 7, unusually for me, I selected the cabin I wanted for both cruise. Booked under

non-refundable deposit.

U.S. price, including taxes $6150 (approximately £4800)

U.K. price, including taxes £6610 (approximately $8470)

£1800 is a lot of money to me - how can these price differences be justified? I know people say we have better

protections in the U.K. but when the Oasis sailings were cancelled recently, no such protections helped us, even

our travel insurance company were reluctant to pay our 'out of pocket' costs.

I am really glad we have an excellent U.S. agent, who is also a very good friend.

Pete.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing Pete. 

As a similar UK based cruiser, I also often use US based TA's for bookings, as they usually come in cheaper than UK based or directly through the cruise line themselves, but it still pays to look around.

For example my wife and I are booked on Anthem next Jan. We booked this directly through the UK RCCL site, as believe it or not, they had by far the best deal that included the beverage package (much needed on a 11 night sailing). I also find that the price advertised by US agents does not often include port fees, taxes, etc, so this can often bump the price up.

Having said that, probably 9 times out of 10 the US TA's are better value, and perks like OBC seem to be more frequently offered.

I guess what I am saying in a long winded sort of way, is that it does still pay to put the effort into researching all options, I never would have thought that booking direct with RCCL would have ever been the best option, I was pleasantly surprised 🙂

Happy sailings

Paul

• Like 2

It does pay to check both the US and UK prices. 

We have used US agents in the past and made some great savings over the UK prices. Just remember to add the taxes and government fees to the US base price.

However you can sometimes hit on a great deal directly with RCI, especially with the current EARLYBIRD promotion.

So, yes, it does still pay to put the effort into researching all options.

• Like 1

Not really about the difference between the US/UK but one thing that shocked me recently was when checking on the price for a 12 night cruise on Anthem RCI made a big thing about what a great deal they were offering on a drinks package at 'only' £1000 extra pp,it was just after Jane McDonald(UK viewers will know the Lady) had been on TV telling how you just had to have a drinks package,wonder if she got a cut,even my OH couldn't drink that much on a 12 day cruise!

• Like 1

The other potential issue is you are paying in USD so any currency fluctuations are out of or into your pocket. I spoke with woman from Australia on my last cruise and she was canceling a few future cruises that she booked in USD because the AUD dropped so the cruise price went up in AUD.

9 hours ago, Nolsie said:

Thanks for sharing Pete. 

As a similar UK based cruiser, I also often use US based TA's for bookings, as they usually come in cheaper than UK based or directly through the cruise line themselves, but it still pays to look around.

For example my wife and I are booked on Anthem next Jan. We booked this directly through the UK RCCL site, as believe it or not, they had by far the best deal that included the beverage package (much needed on a 11 night sailing). I also find that the price advertised by US agents does not often include port fees, taxes, etc, so this can often bump the price up.

Having said that, probably 9 times out of 10 the US TA's are better value, and perks like OBC seem to be more frequently offered.

I guess what I am saying in a long winded sort of way, is that it does still pay to put the effort into researching all options, I never would have thought that booking direct with RCCL would have ever been the best option, I was pleasantly surprised 🙂

Happy sailings

Paul

@Nolsie - Paul, which sailing?

59 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

I spoke with woman from Australia on my last cruise and she was canceling a few future cruises that she booked in USD because the AUD dropped so the cruise price went up in AUD.

Yes, one could arbitrage via the Aussie site (one of my sailings could have been booked for about $100 less via Aussie site), but you are the mercy of exchange rate swings. 

Thanks for sharing this. I often look at differing UK/US prices and our next cruise with Royal on Adventure from New York was massively cheaper booking from here in the UK.

It definitely pays to look around.

• Like 1

We've just booked a 9 night Explorer ABC islands cruise for November 2020. UK price £986, US price including all taxes and port fees, £655 at the current exchange rate. Like others have said, you need to checkout all options. 

Sue 

I book in both USA and U.K. 

Yes the currency fluctuations are currently more of a hazard than before, but whenever the rate is “good” I simply pay off a chunk. 

I prefer the flexibility of the USA.   I always book under the refundable deposit option. I then swap to NRD when I know for certain we are going, have booked flights etc.

The U.K. seems to get my business when it is a last minute booking.

My USA TA also seems to have a lot of group bookings at lower rates... which also helps. 

However sometimes the USA doesn’t compete, itineraries like Dubai are as cheap as chips here in U.K. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe I read a lot due to the recent oasis canceling is that having a travel agent that is EU-based gives you a lot more protections if the cruise line were to cancel And other consumer benefits.

1 minute ago, mousefan73 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe I read a lot due to the recent oasis canceling is that having a travel agent that is EU-based gives you a lot more protections if the cruise line were to cancel And other consumer benefits.

I didn’t see any posts on the thread about those cancellations where people from the UK received anything different than those booked in the US.