First time on NCL

DKNE

I will be cruising on the NCL "Star" next month. This is my first time on NCL (but will be my 13th cruise). I am reading that people have to make dining reservations. Is that for specialty restaurants? I thought this cruise line was free style dining. Can you guide me how it works?

Also as a newbie NCL person, do you have any tips or anything for me. Going to Italy, Montenegro, Croatia, and Greece. 🙂

You don't need them for the MDR - works just like any restaurant on land that takes reservations & walkins. If you're wanting to eat at a specific time with no leeway - you are better off making a reservation. If you like to eat at the prime dining times you might have a wait. I've only sailed on their megaships, but I've never had a long wait. I think the longest I waited was just enough time to get a drink from the bar. 

You should make reservations for specialty dining though. 

It is unlikely you could make a reservation for 2 in an MDR.  Reservations there tend to be for "large" parties.

There is usually no wait before 6pm which is the start of prime time for dining to get to the early show.  There often seems to be people waiting when we leave about 7.15 and seems to get worse as 8pm approaches, again the prime time for dining before the second show.

My experience is that you can make MDR reservation for 2 people online before the cruise but not when you are on the ship.

But after our first cruise (when we did make MDR reservations) we never have felt the need for reservations, never having waited more than 2 minutes for a table for 2.

Keep in mind that there are TWO -2- MDRs on the STAR - the aft one is more Ritzy with cruise casual dress code

the mid-ship is almost anything goes.

The Specialty Restaurants for prime time seating - most definitely Reservations - Very early evening 5-5:30 may

work with a walk-up and again very late 9 ish. Teppanyaki has fixed non-negotiable times.

Keep in mind that there are TWO -2- MDRs on the STAR - the aft one is more Ritzy with cruise casual dress code

The real difference is that Versailles, the aft MDR, requires men to wear longs when there for DINNER.  That is the MDR open for breakfast and lunch and then "almost anything goes" too.

Aqua, the midships MDR, is only open for dinner and there it is "almost anything goes".

Le Bistro is like Versailles while the other specialties are like Aqua.

Mike

8 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Personally we did like Aqua not only so I didn't have to wear shorts but also you could share without having to share!!

Haha! True! It was just a tad too close to the other diners for us. And my father refuses to go to dinner in shorts no matter what so Versailles worked for us. Either way, the food and service was great!

50 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

The Specialty Restaurants for prime time seating - most definitely Reservations - Very early evening 5-5:30 may

work with a walk-up and again very late 9 ish. Teppanyaki has fixed non-negotiable times.

I have not sailed on NCL, but considering trying it out.   I’ve sailed on Oceania, Celebrity, and Princess.  Each with different levels of dress code.    Thinking of a Med cruise Italy,  Greece, Spain

When you say the aft MDR is more Ritzy with cruise casual dress code, compared to the mid-ship is almost anything goes,  what do men and women PAXs typically wear at either for evening dinner?  Examples?

Dress code for dining in Specialty restaurants?

Thanks.

Here are the words from NCL

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Be sure to pack a sweater - the air conditioning can be chilly. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, thongs, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

2 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, thongs, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. 

I've never seen/noticed thongs mentioned before. I'm guessing that NCL means "uncovered" or "exposed" thongs?