Captain's (and other officers) Quarters

My experience:

Captain does have a "suite" since he will have a conference/reception room, a day room, bedroom, and office.

Four stripe officers (Staff Capt, Chief, HD) will have a cabin about the size of a family stateroom, single

Three and a half stripe:  (Staff Chief, F&B) smaller cabin, much like a larger pax cabin, single

Three stripe officers: (First Engineer, Chief Officer, CD, Exec Housekeeper, etc) about the size of a pax cabin, single

Two stripe officers:  Smaller cabin, single or double

One stripe officers:  Smaller double with own bath, or 7'x7' single with shared toilet/shower to next cabin

Crew:  most commonly 4 to a cabin with own bath, some in the smaller doubles, I've seen a couple of 6 man cabins, but haven't seen anything more than that.

Married crew are assigned together, in the cabin type of the senior member, but no accommodation is made for two people living in a single officer's cabin, so it gets "cozy".  It becomes difficult when married crew are in different departments, as crew with similar job functions are berthed together to aid in everyone working the same schedule, but they can jockey cabins around a bit for a married couple, but again, no twins to move together, or full size beds, only bunks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Interesting info about the married crew's quarters, thanks Chief.

It also becomes difficult when both members of the married couple only rate a 4 man cabin, as getting them into a double sometimes just isn't possible.

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

It also becomes difficult when both members of the married couple only rate a 4 man cabin, as getting them into a double sometimes just isn't possible.

So do you think that even the newest ships (like Oasis class) still have 4 man crew cabins?  I thought we were told once that they only went up to 2 man cabins now.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

So do you think that even the newest ships (like Oasis class) still have 4 man crew cabins?  I thought we were told once that they only went up to 2 man cabins now.

I've heard that, but can't confirm.  I've heard it about it being the case on NCL's breakaway class ships as well.  The MLC 2006 (Maritime Labor Convention) requires single cabins for all crew except on passenger vessels, where it does allow for 4 person cabins (with a square footage of floor space per person).  The lines may be going to exclusively doubles as an incentive in lieu of higher pay.

The larger ships have more space below the waterline (can't have pax cabins below the waterline), so there is more space for the doubles.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Please, my first cruise was bunks. 

We suffered horribly

Oops, we ended up with a 29 year old souvenir from that sailing. 

And his/her name is???????

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

My experience:

Captain does have a "suite" since he will have a conference/reception room, a day room, bedroom, and office.

Four stripe officers (Staff Capt, Chief, HD) will have a cabin about the size of a family stateroom, single

Three and a half stripe:  (Staff Chief, F&B) smaller cabin, much like a larger pax cabin, single

Three stripe officers: (First Engineer, Chief Officer, CD, Exec Housekeeper, etc) about the size of a pax cabin, single

Two stripe officers:  Smaller cabin, single or double

One stripe officers:  Smaller double with own bath, or 7'x7' single with shared toilet/shower to next cabin

Crew:  most commonly 4 to a cabin with own bath, some in the smaller doubles, I've seen a couple of 6 man cabins, but haven't seen anything more than that.

Married crew are assigned together, in the cabin type of the senior member, but no accommodation is made for two people living in a single officer's cabin, so it gets "cozy".  It becomes difficult when married crew are in different departments, as crew with similar job functions are berthed together to aid in everyone working the same schedule, but they can jockey cabins around a bit for a married couple, but again, no twins to move together, or full size beds, only bunks.

When we went TA on NCL Jewel our cabin attendant was a female whose husband was in the band.  They did not share a cabin.  She told me because she was just housekeeping she could not be with him.

A bartender we met on Celebrity Infinity when we went to Antarctica switched to Solstice class ships as he could be in a 2 man cabin with his own small TV and more space.   We saw him later on B2B on Silhouette and he was quite happy with his quarters.

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Good enough for our sailors in the Navy.😀

Triple racks 😉

With no A/C

And one bathroom for 80 or so crew

And no alcohol 😱

Edited by John&LaLa

28 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Triple racks 😉

With no A/C

And one bathroom for 80 or so crew

And no alcohol 😱

Yep. As an E-8 I had a top bunk (but we did have AC and the Chief's Quarters held 20, but the berthing compartment I was in on the IKE held 100).

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Yep. As an E-8 I had a top bunk (but we did have AC and the Chief's Quarters held 20, but the berthing compartment I was in on the IKE held 100).

Pat had top bunk as a second class. Said it was a huge benefit when they were in Guam. 

He said only A/C for him was in the Reactor control rooms

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Here's a chart by rank of where you are allowed on ship. Acquired from Oasis infirmary 

So I guess even the captain can't use the Flowrider. I doubt anyone could stop him though lol.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Good enough for our sailors in the Navy.😀

I was talking about months and years on end almost without end of living that way and at older ages than most serving at the “bunk rank” in the Navy - those situations are quite different. The benefits our military gets is also much different from those of the cruise ship crews.  Of course I am assuming that was meant as a light hearted comment and without snark (without seeing someone’s face it is sometimes less easy to know than we would all wish)!  😉 But with a husband who served 30 years in the USMC, a sister who served 10 in the USAF, and 2 nephews currently serving in the USN I am well aware of the lifestyle and sleeping situations  😊 And we are grateful to all who have served and are serving (on ships or off them). 🌟🌟

wow, just noticed have over 20k posts - there should be a prize at that level!

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

I was talking about months and years on end almost without end of living that way and at older ages than most serving at the “bunk rank” in the Navy - those situations are quite different. The benefits our military gets is also much different from those of the cruise ship crews.  Of course I am assuming that was meant as a light hearted comment and without snark (without seeing someone’s face it is sometimes less easy to know than we would all wish)!  😉 But with a husband who served 30 years in the USMC, a sister who served 10 in the USAF, and 2 nephews currently serving in the USN I am well aware of the lifestyle and sleeping situations  😊 And we are grateful to all who have served and are serving (on ships or off them). 🌟🌟

Thank your family for their service but I respectfully disagree. And my comments were serious. The contracted crew no what they sign up for just like my son did. It's a means to an end and in many cases much better opportunities than their home countries. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

As I mentioned in a previous post I slept in a bunk as an E-8 at the ripe old age of 33. The crew serve 6 to 9 month contracts, which is the length of many deployments in the Navy and once their contract is fulfilled they return home until their next contract (of course I did too but I was still assigned to the ship and had to stand duty every 3 to 5 days at which point I was sleeping in my bunk again). Yes, it was meant as a light hearted comment, but it was a serious one even so. There is nothing wrong with sleeping in a bunk bed if that is what your job requires, there is nothing demeaning about them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

As I mentioned in a previous post I slept in a bunk as an E-8 at the ripe old age of 33. The crew serve 6 to 9 month contracts, which is the length of many deployments in the Navy and once their contract is fulfilled they return home until their next contract (of course I did too but I was still assigned to the ship and had to stand duty every 3 to 5 days at which point I was sleeping in my bunk again). Yes, it was meant as a light hearted comment, but it was a serious one even so. There is nothing wrong with sleeping in a bunk bed if that is what your job requires, there is nothing demeaning about them.

I thought I detected some real message, I just could not figure out why there seemed to be some sting to it as I didn’t think I had in any shape or form been insulting to anyone. I can see what you mean, but hopefully you can also understand that that the two are VERY different in the way I discussed it: 1. Those in the Navy are not living there, it is meant to be temporary quarters. Those on cruise ships are given those bunks as primary living quarters. Most in the Navy do it only at points in time over 4 years, not for most of the year for decades as with cruise ship crews. The Navy memberstend to be relatively young people on average, many very young, Those on cruise ships are often middle age or closing in on it.  There are other difference, but there is no need to list them all. The situations are overall quite different.

My point was the it could feel demeaning to grown men to live that way with all that come with it (not that alone) and my comment was in *no way* related to the very different situation our Navy service members are in. Those cruise crew members live difficult lives for most of their lives, ones few of us can even imagine, and that was the gist of my commentary - I very much hope most readers recognized that. I never expected to make a very minor point about a ship’s crew and have that interpreted by anyone in any way  as insulting the military that my family (including my father in D-Day on Omaha Beach) has spent any lifetimes supporting and serving. I don’t wish to argue, I am still confused how my support of a ship’s crew brought on a retort at all (but then it’s CC and I should never be surprised). But since it did I took this time to fully explain here early on a holiday morning.

It is my Anniversary and the 4th of July, so I am headed out.  Have a great 4th 🇺🇸

Edited by 2Beeze

2 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

I thought I detected some real message, I just could not figure out why there seemed to be some sting to it as I didn’t think I had in any shape or form been insulting to anyone. I can see what you mean, but hopefully you can also understand that that the two are VERY different in the way I discussed it: 1. Those is the Navy are not living there, it is meant to be temporary quarters. They tend to be those who are relatively young. Those on ships are given those are primary living quarters. They are often middle age. There are other difference, but the is no need to list them all. My point was the it could feel demeaning to grown men to live that way and that in *no way* was related to the very different situation our Navy service members are in. Those crew members live difficult lives, ones few of us can even imagine, and that was the gist of my commentary - I very much hope most readers recognized that. I never expected to make a very minor point about a ship’s crew and gave that interpreted by anyone has in any way insulting the military that my family (including my father in D-Day on Omaha Beach) has spent any lifetimes supporting. I don’t wish to argue, I am still confused how my support of a ship’s crew brought on a retort at all (but then it’s CC and I should never be surprised).

It is my Anniversary and the 4th of July, so I am headed out.  Have a great 4th 🇺🇸

Happy anniversary (and 4th)! Oh but I did "live there", it was my official duty station and home for the time I was stationed aboard. There were many sailors who lived onboard full time because they were single or their wives hadn't accompanied them, etc. When we went to sea most of us worked 12 to 20 hours per day, so I fully appreciate and understand the life the crew is living and I don't see their life as demeaning in any way. I was not in anyway insulted by your post and I don't mean to insult anyone in my comments, I just don't think that the word "demeaning" applies. A sailor's life is a calling (and the crew are sailors) and for those who chose it being onboard a ship at sea is what it is all about. If that means sleeping in a bunk bed then that is what it means. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not sure what your comment "those in the Navy are not living there, it is temporary quarters", means.  For the length of the deployment of the vessel, that berthing compartment is their "permanent living quarters".  There is no difference between the situations of a Navy crew member or a cruise ship crew member when living on a ship.  I've done Navy, I've done cruise ships, and I've done merchant ships.  While all as an officer, I've seen how the crew live on all three.  And Navy ship deployments are typically 6-9 months overseas, so very similar to cruise ship crew contracts.

And while it may seem to you to be "demeaning" to live in a shared cabin with a stranger, you are placing your cultural experiences and preconceptions on others from different cultures, where shared accommodations during periods of employment away from home is more common and accepted.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

A friend sailed on Carnival as an entertainer.  HE was bunked with a woman from the band...they did not even know each other!  it is what it is.  Crew space isn't plush!

I know cb will never be back to look at this thread again (one post and gone), but this is not correct, as usual with her posts, unless the two of them requested it.  This is strictly forbidden by international law and every company's policy.  Accommodations are made for gay and transvestite crew, whenever possible.

• Like 1