Need Help Choosing RC Ship

Hello all!

I just came off of the Enchantment of the Seas on Wednesday.  It was my first RC cruise (have sailed Carnival mostly).  I will say it was pretty enjoyable for the most part.  While I did have some issues with the cruise and the ship (food offerings, nightly entertainment, etc.), I did decide that I'd like to experience another RC ship to see if my experience may be better.  I went ahead and signed up with a NextCruise agent while onboard, and am just trying to decide which ship to choose.  Does anyone have any recommendations of ships? I'm looking for something newer with a better variety of food options and better quality nightly entertainment.  Any recommendations?  Thanks in advance!

16 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Any Oasis class ship (Oasis, Allure, Harmony, Symphony) would fill the bill.

Totally agree. Cruised on the Harmony and would normally never do that because of the size and the amount of passengers. We prefer smaller ships. It was advertised on the TV so much we desided to try it. Totally blown away. Passenger quantity was never a problem because of the size of the ship. But the shows and everything they offered was the best ever. Food was excellent, buffet was excellent with a variety I never have seen before. Now one of our favorite. Allure this September. Want to do a smaller ship. Royals Serenade of the Seas. You will not be disappointed either. Beautiful and great food.

I like to chose my ship based on my ability to drive to the port.....because then I can spend more on the room and not have to worry about airfare and additional hotel costs for a family of four.  Not trapsing through airports also has a high (but hard to quantify $$$) benefit for me in my mind....because it always seems like such a pain in the arse.    I did it a few times as a kid when I cruised with my grandfather....and I still remember the HORRIBLE experience trying to fly out of Jamaica after the cruise.  

Edited by dodgestang
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

I like to chose my ship based on my ability to drive to the port.....because then I can spend more on the room and not have to worry about airfare and additional hotel costs for a family of four.  Not trapsing through airports also has a high (but hard to quantify $$$) benefit for me in my mind....because it always seems like such a pain in the arse.    I did it a few times as a kid when I cruised with my grandfather....and I still remember the HORRIBLE experience trying to fly out of Jamaica after the cruise.  

What ports do you prefer?

Just now, twodaywonder said:

What ports do you prefer?

N.E. Corridor...so Baltimore, NJ, NY

I've considered Port Canaveral because my parents live about an hour from there so I could do a "visit the grandparent, then take a cruise" thing.....but it is a loooong drive and would require at least 1 hotel...so I wouldn't really save anything other than stress over air at that point.  Also thought about the auto train....and it all sounds exciting.....when you are going....but after its over...you still have to get back 😞 

48 minutes ago, Travelbug78 said:

Hello all!

I just came off of the Enchantment of the Seas on Wednesday.  It was my first RC cruise (have sailed Carnival mostly).  I will say it was pretty enjoyable for the most part.  While I did have some issues with the cruise and the ship (food offerings, nightly entertainment, etc.), I did decide that I'd like to experience another RC ship to see if my experience may be better.  I went ahead and signed up with a NextCruise agent while onboard, and am just trying to decide which ship to choose.  Does anyone have any recommendations of ships? I'm looking for something newer with a better variety of food options and better quality nightly entertainment.  Any recommendations?  Thanks in advance!

We like Freedom class but my choice is Oasis class because once you have been on this ship class most of the others come nowhere near what Oasis offers.

5 hours ago, dodgestang said:

N.E. Corridor...so Baltimore, NJ, NY

I've considered Port Canaveral because my parents live about an hour from there so I could do a "visit the grandparent, then take a cruise" thing.....but it is a loooong drive and would require at least 1 hotel...so I wouldn't really save anything other than stress over air at that point.  Also thought about the auto train....and it all sounds exciting.....when you are going....but after its over...you still have to get back 😞 

If I lived in your neck of the woods I can hardly imagine I'd ever travel to Florida again for a cruise.  So many cruises out of that area without the "long commute."

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

If I lived in your neck of the woods I can hardly imagine I'd ever travel to Florida again for a cruise.  So many cruises out of that area without the "long commute."

The couple extra days you usually get on the boat are nice as well.....8 and 9 night cruises are the norm

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

I guess it depends on the time of year 

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I guess it depends on the time of year 

True the seas can get a little dicey around Hatteras.

I do enjoy hot tubing in the outside pool when it is snowing though...and having people look at me weird from inside their bubbles 😉

• Like 1

I've done the first three Oasis class ships - very enjoyable.

But I, too, like the ability to drive to port. Living in southern Delaware, Grandeur from Baltimore is our go-to. But that would be incredibly similar to Enchantment. I've done three cruises and booked a fourth on Anthem. The entertainment isn't quite as good as Oasis class, but I like the ship. Very good bands in different venues. It will be a very different experience for you. Parking and boarding are easy. So is disembarking. For us, it's a four hour drive and worth it.