How obstructed is fully obstructed

love_the_sea

I know that sounds like a really dumb question! I have booked cabin 3383 on the Lower Promenade deck on the Amsterdam for the 2021 World Voyage. It appears to "look out" on the deck.  If there is a life boat in front of me that is fine, but the picture of the cabin shows the curtains fully closed just like the picture of an inside cabin. I am happy as long as I can get daylight into my cabin, but if in fact, there is a blank wall covering my window I might as well be in a less expensive inside cabin.  Any one know what these are like? Thanks. 

30 minutes ago, love_the_sea said:

I know that sounds like a really dumb question! I have booked cabin 3383 on the Lower Promenade deck on the Amsterdam for the 2021 World Voyage. It appears to "look out" on the deck.  If there is a life boat in front of me that is fine, but the picture of the cabin shows the curtains fully closed just like the picture of an inside cabin. I am happy as long as I can get daylight into my cabin, but if in fact, there is a blank wall covering my window I might as well be in a less expensive inside cabin.  Any one know what these are like? Thanks. 

Do a search on Google images by putting in the cabin number, ship and cruiseline and you will find some answers. I could post a link here but we are not allowed to promote other cruise websites.

Theo

• Like 2

Check out this link to halfacts which has photo of “view” you would get in 3383: .halfacts.com/amsterdam-lower-promenade-cabin-obstructed-views  halfacts.com/amsterdam-lower-promenade-cabin-obstructed-views

There are some cabins on this, our favorite deck, which would be unacceptable due to not only lack of a view but also due to being under very noisy areas. Go to cruise deck plans dot com and you can go cabin by cabin to learn what is over and below any given stateroom. 

• Thanks 1

I'm editing since I went and looked at halfacts.  I guess there is somewhat of a wall outside.  But, you can still see out and will have light in the cabin.  Below that cabin looks like it might be right at the back of the Wajang Theater.  They have movies at night there with the late movie starting at 9PM. I don't know if you'd hear this or not but if you don't go to bed with the birds, it may not be an issue.  I'd take this over an inside any day; I want light in the cabin.  I really, really dislike insides as you have no idea what time of day or night it is (of course, this is my own personal feeling about this; some people don't care). 

Above that cabin is a the piano lounge (actually, the seating area, not the piano). It is at the end of the lounge area and close to the first shop.  From my experience on world cruises, this is not an area that goes late into the night.  This year that place was empty by 11PM.  That might depend on the entertainer that they have; this years was not the best so it emptied out early.

Linda R.

Edited by cruzingnut

1 hour ago, Dogma4 said:

Check out this link to halfacts which has photo of “view” you would get in 3383: .halfacts.com/amsterdam-lower-promenade-cabin-obstructed-views  halfacts.com/amsterdam-lower-promenade-cabin-obstructed-views

There are some cabins on this, our favorite deck, which would be unacceptable due to not only lack of a view but also due to being under very noisy areas. Go to cruise deck plans dot com and you can go cabin by cabin to learn what is over and below any given stateroom. 

I could have given the same info but I was to understand that we are not allowed to give out links to other cruise sites 🤔.

Theo

6 hours ago, Renmar said:

I  could have given the same info but I was to understand that we are not allowed to give out links to other cruise sites 🤔.

The Mods have been allowing links to halfacts.com for a couple of years now, as long as they are links to just pictures.

• Thanks 1

My site (link in signature) is primarily Crystal, but I have also had the opportunity to do R and S cabins, standing tn froni of each window pointing the camera a bit fore and aft.  3383 is VERY obstructed looking at a steel wall with a little window off a bit to your right. 

s3383hh.jpg

The good news is you have easy access to the promenade deck.

Enjoy the world cruise.   The Amsterdam has many great public places to see the scenery and always a place on the correct side.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

We stayed in an OV cabin on the MS Amserdam promenade deck for an Alaskan cruise.  It wasn't an obstructed view and it was nice to have the daylight.  Honestly I don't think it would have mattered to us if it was obstructed as long as we had the daylight shining in.  It was more important for us to be able to access the promenade deck as we like to go on morning, afternoon and evening walks.  We were literally steps away and we loved it. 

Roy's pictures are an accurate view. The fully obstructed cabins on the S- & R-class ships look out on the ship's supporting structure, with the possibility of seeing an opening, if you get close to the window, and stretch & twist.

You will get some daylight, as well as outside lights shining in at night.

The cabins are smaller than the outsides on the lower two decks.

The information above about location is inaccurate. The galley is above the cabin, and there may be the sounds of activity during the night. Below is a deck of cabins. The Piano Lounge is two decks higher, and quite a bit forward of this cabin.

Personally, I would take almost any inside instead of this cabin, especially for a cruise as long as you are considering.

Not that I would DREAM of disagreeing with Ruth, 😁   BUTTTT   this is the exact class of room we ALWAYS book oh HAL.   Unlike an inside, you can see if it's night or day, and with a "bit" of a crane of the neck you can almost always see the ocean.  Couple this with the fact that they are on the Lower Promonade deck (with super easy access to it) and it works for us.   

I suspect part of the divergence of opinions involves one's schedule.  I suspect much of the noise in the galley comes as the crew is starting to work on breakfast.  I (and perhaps FredT) will likely be out and about by the time most of the noise starts while I know RuthC is a night owl and does not really want a 6 (or even 7) am wake up call.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 1

Years ago we were a bit further forward than 3383 and we heard kitchen noise all night, every night. It sounded like big things being rolled to and fro. We endured but now will only book an EE near elevators as they are below photo shop so no noise from above. Just saying....

• Like 1

Weeeeelllll.....   as I snore, and my DW makes her own noises, we both are use to earplugs, so we have never heard anything from next door or anywhere else.    So to me these "obstructed views" are the best deal afloat, and is a big reason why a "still" working stiff like me can have amassed 30+ cruises and seen much of the world.....

10 hours ago, RuthC said:

Roy's pictures are an accurate view. The fully obstructed cabins on the S- & R-class ships look out on the ship's supporting structure, with the possibility of seeing an opening, if you get close to the window, and stretch & twist.

You will get some daylight, as well as outside lights shining in at night.

The cabins are smaller than the outsides on the lower two decks.

The information above about location is inaccurate. The galley is above the cabin, and there may be the sounds of activity during the night. Below is a deck of cabins. The Piano Lounge is two decks higher, and quite a bit forward of this cabin.

Personally, I would take almost any inside instead of this cabin, especially for a cruise as long as you are considering.

Thank you to all who posted answers!  I had not thought to see what is above me (which I usually do). That concerns me more than the limited view which is about what I expected. As long as I can see daylight I am happy, but not happy to see that Ruth says there are lights shining in at night. Between that and the noise in the night from the galley it doesn't sound like a place I want to spend 4 1/2 months!  I may see what the next category up would be and if it is available.  Thanks again to everyone!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, love_the_sea said:

but not happy to see that Ruth says there are lights shining in at night.

The deck lights that stay on all night are very bright. We have had three or four LP cabins, and have learned to bring clothespins or snack bag clips to keep the drapes tightly closed.

I went back and looked at my "archives" and saw that we once had 3385, and it was VERY noisy overhead all night.  Strongly suggest you switch out of 3383!! 

Edited by catl331

2 hours ago, catl331 said:

The deck lights that stay on all night are very bright. We have had three or four LP cabins, and have learned to bring clothespins or snack bag clips to keep the drapes tightly closed.

I went back and looked at my "archives" and saw that we once had 3385, and it was VERY noisy overhead all night.  Strongly suggest you switch out of 3383!! 

We had a guarantee cabin in this category for our upcoming cruise.  After realizing where it was (would love promenade deck but the kitchen noise is a deal breaker) we switched to a porthole elsewhere.