Cheers Package in US Ports (Key West)

Barry ATL

I found this in the description:

Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this program is used within US waters. The tax is based on the state's tax structure and the cost of the individual drink purchased (not the daily program rate). For example: if the drink price is $5 and the tax is 10%, the guest's Sail & Sign card will be charged $0.50 for tax. This applies to all US ports (embarkation home ports and ports-of-call).

We are booked on the 11/4/2019 Carnival Victory which stops at Key West.  So, does Carnival charge the tax?  If so, how much is the FL tax rate for drinks?

2 hours ago, Barry ATL said:

I found this in the description:

Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this program is used within US waters. The tax is based on the state's tax structure and the cost of the individual drink purchased (not the daily program rate). For example: if the drink price is $5 and the tax is 10%, the guest's Sail & Sign card will be charged $0.50 for tax. This applies to all US ports (embarkation home ports and ports-of-call).

We are booked on the 11/4/2019 Carnival Victory which stops at Key West.  So, does Carnival charge the tax?  If so, how much is the FL tax rate for drinks?

if you are parked in port yes they will charge you the local alcohol tax even if you have the cheers package. Florida Alcohol tax is 6%

5 hours ago, EngineCo52 said:

if you are parked in port yes they will charge you the local alcohol tax even if you have the cheers package. Florida Alcohol tax is 6%

Sales tax in Key West is 7.5%. Counties in Florida may add up to 1.5% to the base rate of 6%. There is no local “alcohol” tax.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Barry ATL said:

Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this program is used within US waters.

...The 11/4/2019 Carnival Victory which stops at Key West.  So, does Carnival charge the tax?  If so, how much is the FL tax rate for drinks?

Since Key West is in Florida, which is in the US and US Waters, you will pay the tax.  That tax rate is 6%.

As the ship is in Key West from like 6 am till 1, I don't see this as being a bank-breaker.

8 hours ago, Barry ATL said:

Thanks for all of the responses.  Definately not a deal breaker.  I just wondered.  Some states have higher achohol taxes.  I just wanted to make sure there were no surprises.  

Just to clarify it's not an "alcohol tax", it's a Fla. city/county tax that is imposed on all taxable items.