Oceania at Christmas?

djh

51 minutes ago, clo said:

It's not that.  At all.  We don't waste food.  The two of us make a dinner and a breakfast out of an 8oz. filet.  I can take some leftover meat, put with some cheese etc. and have a lovely lunch on our verandah.  

Decorum?  Don't go there.  The people who should be practicing decorum could perhaps think about dressing as recommended and use good table manners.  I'm 72 and grew up in the South.  I KNOW decorum.

Oh, LOL.  I just saw this piece that says it's now a law in France that people be offered a container for their leftover food.  So if the FRENCH do it..... 🙂  Maybe I'll print this out.

https://www.lifegate.com/people/lifestyle/france-food-restaurants-doggy-bag

Have you thought of sharing dishes, ordering half portions or lunch portions?  These are also ways of reducing food waste without schleping left-overs back to your stateroom in your pocket 🤔.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

schleping left-overs back to your stateroom in your pocket

Somehow I think asking for a container for a particular leftover is a far cry from schleping.  LOL.

OMG  now I have heard it all

It is not about wasting food but food safety 

Taking food HOME is quite different to taking it back to your cabin

The fridge in the cabin is more like a cooler  not good for storing food items especially meat

just order smaller portions if you do not want to waste a bite

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

One way or the other, your "waste" (in one form or another) will need to be disposed. So, just order appetizer portions. Much more efficacious for the environment.

No.  If we have no waste then why will it need to be disposed.

When we go out to dinner, we typically SHARE a main and an app or we have two or three apps.

I see you live in NorCal but I'm guessing the environment isn't something you're up to speed on?

28 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Please don't tell me that your plan includes leaving dirty dishes in the hallway.

Nope.  I'm one of those people who tidies up hotel rooms even when we're checking out.

29 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:
1 hour ago, clo said:

Tu n'es pas en France.

I do understand that the US is far behind a lot of the world on these issues.  But it's never too late to learn.

BTW are there notes in the menu or signs on the wall that you can't take food out of the GDR?  Or if you asked are you sternly told no.  'Cause you said it's not allowed.  

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

The fridge in the cabin is more like a cooler  not good for storing food items especially meat

I don't get sick.  And others have said that the fridge keeps beers cold enough to drink.  I have a lot of medical background and food won't make you sick if it's not already contaminated.

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I cannot imagine what will go home in the suitcase 😞

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, clo said:

No.  If we have no waste then why will it need to be disposed. 

Neat trick (or major health issue) if you produce no personal "waste." Familiar with the term "black water?"

I see you live in NorCal but I'm guessing the environment isn't something you're up to speed on?

Without getting into the professional details, you can trust that I know far more about environmental protection (in general)  and maritime environmental policy/practice (specifically) than most passengers on a cruise ship (even ones from California).

BTW are there notes in the menu or signs on the wall that you can't take food out of the GDR?  Or if you asked are you sternly told no.  'Cause you said it's not allowed.  

If you ask for a doggie bag on an Oceania ship, you WILL (very politely) be told by wait staff (or the maitre d' if you persist) that company policy prohibits it (in no small part because, once it leaves a dining venue [and goes elsewhere on the ship rather than off the premises, e.g., to your home, as would be the case with take out or restaurant leftovers], it constitutes a food safety issue for which the ship remains responsible.

Are there folks on Oceania cruises who believe that the reasonable rules/regulations don't apply to them? Sadly, yes. But, fortunately, they are few and far between and they stick out like a sore thumb.

• Haha 1

Bottom line, you are able to ask each restaurant to package up your food for later.   We have done it.   However, it was because of DH not feeling well.   They will pkg up your leftovers/dinner, and dessert, and deliver it to your room just like room service later in the evening/day on a plate.. covered, and with utensils.  They will leave the tray, and you can call your butler (if you have one), or call room service to come pick up the tray later.  If someone absolutely feels they need to save all scraps, then perhaps they should, as suggested, share a meal, or only order appetizers.   As has been suggested, you can order all main courses as appetizer portions, so that may be the best way to go.   We have also seen a couple share a main meal of Steak/lobster in Polo,  and order separate sides.  There are many ways to ensure you don’t overeat, schlepping food out is not the recommended manner, as it is also frowned upon in higher end resorts, where they also deliver to your suite after the meal if wanted. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruseforme said:

Bottom line, you are able to ask each restaurant to package up your food for later.   We have done it.   However, it was because of DH not feeling well. 

Have you done it  when he was feeling fine?

Usually they will not  send your meal to your cabin  unless you are not well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Have you done it  when he was feeling fine?

Usually they will not  send your meal to your cabin  unless you are not well.

Nope, just trying to state there are reasons why they will pack up and deliver your meal.....no doggie bag or styrofoam container, but delivery to room if Needed (never say never).  Some people will try to push the envelope, regardless of what several on CC dislike.   So if a poster wants to do this, let them go ahead...warn them, nod your head, be embarrassed for their table mates being mortified and let them move on to another vacation enjoyment outside of cruising.   

Edited by Cruseforme

2 minutes ago, Cruseforme said:

Nope, just trying to state there are reasons why they will pack up and deliver your meal.....no doggie bag or styrofoam container, but delivery to room if Needed is., never say never).  Some people will try to push the envelope, regardless of what several on CC dislike.   So if a poster wants to do this, let them go ahead...warn them, nod your head, be embarrassed for their table mates being mortified and let them move on to another vacation enjoyment outside of cruising.   

LOL!!!!!

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am beginning to wonder if  we  all have been had  🤔😲

Many troll like posts  going on here

Off to dinner  no doggie bag either 😁

A very Rude Troll. It is ruining the O Board and the pre or post experience. 

Enjoy your dinner, Lynn

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I am beginning to wonder if  we  all have been had  🤔😲

Many troll like posts  going on here

Off to dinner  no doggie bag either 😁

Nope.  You just kept changing the subjects so I decided to laugh it off.  I've never been a troll on any site.  But I've sure seen them here.  

• Haha 1

Wow! I have never seen a question go off topic so quickly! Once again, if anybody has any experience with Oceania activities over the Christmas holidays, I would love to hear about it. Thank so much!

10 minutes ago, djh said:

Wow! I have never seen a question go off topic so quickly! Once again, if anybody has any experience with Oceania activities over the Christmas holidays, I would love to hear about it. Thank so much!

Post #3 pretty much gave it to you.  Don't expect much.

32 minutes ago, djh said:

if you can do a search on the main O  forum there should be some posts on things that may happen over the Holiday cruise

We disembarked before the Christmas sailing

56 minutes ago, djh said:

We spent this last Christmas onboard as part of a Sydney to Bali cruise. Christmas day was wonderful. The ship was beautifully decorated, the entertainment crew were everywhere carolling, and the atmosphere was joyful. The GDR had an all-day buffet going with tables just groaning with goodies.

We both agreed it was the best Christmas we had ever had. Very memorable.

We're going to be embarking on Dec 22 -I do enjoy seeing holiday decorations so I'm happy they have at least a few! 

My in-laws want to eat dinner at a specialty restaurant on Dec 25 but I would prefer to eat in the dining room (I'd already heard tales of a lot of turkey 😉 ) Since I'm in charge of dinner reservations, I'm hoping there won't be anything available for us by the time I'm able to book....

An all day buffet sounds dangerous! But awfully convenient....