Soft serve

mama_2_boys

Those ingredients are for frozen yogurt, which is in a separate machine from soft serve.  The soft serve mix is in a similar carton labeled "frozen dessert mix" (i.e., it's too non-dairy or artificial to label it "ice cream").

Notwithstanding whether frozen yogurt or soft serve, the brand could vary from port to port. If you're gluten intolerant, I would ask the see the ingredient list on the carton they fill the machine with and be careful about the frozen yogurt vs. soft serve machine based on what ingredients you read on the label.

26 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Those ingredients are for frozen yogurt, which is in a separate machine from soft serve.  The soft serve mix is in a similar carton labeled "frozen dessert mix" (i.e., it's too non-dairy or artificial to label it "ice cream").

Notwithstanding whether frozen yogurt or soft serve, the brand could vary from port to port. If you're gluten intolerant, I would ask the see the ingredient list on the carton they fill the machine with and be careful about the frozen yogurt vs. soft serve machine based on what ingredients you read on the label.

The blue label is the frozen dessert a.k.a as ice cream and the brown label is the yogurt. These photos were taken aboard the Liberty out of Miami. The blue label lists water and corn syrup first and the yogurt skim milk and sugar.

Edited by sanmarcosman

5 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

The blue label is the frozen dessert a.k.a as ice cream and the brown label is the yogurt. These photos were taken aboard the Liberty out of Miami. The blue label lists water and corn syrup first and the yogurt skim milk and sugar.

This is why we stopped having it.

3 hours ago, Micahs Grandad said:

This is why we stopped having it.

I still put a taste of the yogurts on the side of my plate next to a slice of the great cakes they now serve in the lido at lunch.

Older folk may recognize the ingredient carrageenan as the FDA approved thickener used in some glues that was popularized in a late 70s TV commercial for a frozen pizza. The voice over announcer says " some frozen pizzas contain carrageenan used to make some glues " while a man is shown standing in his kitchen eating a slice says " Gllluuuueee?!?  " The ad assured viewers their brand did not contain glues and only 100% real cheese. 

11 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

If you're post was supposed to include two images, I only see the one for frozen yogurt (brown label). I think that's why DallasGuy said that.

10 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

If you're post was supposed to include two images, I only see the one for frozen yogurt (brown label). I think that's why DallasGuy said that.

Oh, thank you for speaking up. On it! ( I do see both images in my first post as you surmised, btw ) 

icecreamingredients_zpse0cbf7fc.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman

2 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

The basic question is ice cream gluten free.  Yes.  The thickeners like guar gum do not contain gluten.  Not made from wheat.

Now KETO, soft serve ice cream and yogurt are NOT. 

This is why I posted the ingredients for the OP to draw their own conclusion:

"

Carrageenan on a Gluten-Free Diet

Since carrageenan is made from seaweed and seaweed is not a gluten grain, you might assume carrageenan would be perfectly safe for a gluten-free diet.

But some experts—particularly natural foods advocates—have raised questions about carrageenan's overall safety, especially for people with gastrointestinal disorders. They maintain the ingredient is linked to inflammation and isn't safe for anyone to eat.

Carrageenan and Inflammation

Research indicates that carrageenan may spark inflammation in the body. In fact, researchers have routinely used forms of the seaweed-derived substance to cause inflammation in mice and rats so they could then test anti-inflammatory pharmaceuticals in those animals. However, the forms used for that purpose aren't the same as those used as food additives. "

Source credit to verywellfit  Ⓒ 2019 About, Inc. (Dotdash) — All rights reserved

PSA (IMO 😏):   I've posted this before. After viewing a kid putting his mouth against the spigo of the Ice Cream/Frozen Dessert/Frozen Yogurt, I will never get a treat at these things again. 

I just can't "undo what I saw"...🍦🤢

🌻🌻 Bobbi 

20 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

PSA (IMO 😏😞   I've posted this before. After viewing a kid putting his mouth against the spigo of the Ice Cream/Frozen Dessert/Frozen Yogurt, I will never get a treat at these things again. 

🌻🌻 Bobbi 

I watched this happen before too. I only order ice cream in the MDR now. People are nasty.

23 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

PSA (IMO 😏😞   I've posted this before. After viewing a kid putting his mouth against the spigo of the Ice Cream/Frozen Dessert/Frozen Yogurt, I will never get a treat at these things again. 

🌻🌻 Bobbi 

2 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

I watched this happen before too. I only order ice cream in the MDR now. People are nasty.

If you witness this first hand, I'm sure the crew would be willing to clean it if you notify someone. No, it wouldn't help for the times a kid isn't seen doing it, but if I saw it, I'd certainly tell someone.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm sure if anyone witnessed a guest using this machine inappropriately, it would be scrubbed down immediately.  

Doesn't mean that gross mishandling of food {Buffet, for example}, hasn't happened right before I get to that piece of cake. But, IF I saw the "act" happen, ewww .... 

To me seeing that kids mouth up on the spigot "enjoying" the creamy treat, well, I can't ignore it. 

What I find disgusting, is my "subjective" food opinion. Enjoy!🍦🍦

10 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

If you witness this first hand, I'm sure the crew would be willing to clean it if you notify someone. No, it wouldn't help for the times a kid isn't seen doing it, but if I saw it, I'd certainly tell someone.

If I complained to a crew member every time I saw a passenger doing something unsanitary, I would have no time to do anything else. Most of the time, the adults are worse than the kids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Yeah, I'm sure if anyone witnessed a guest using this machine inappropriately, it would be scrubbed down immediately.  

Doesn't mean that gross mishandling of food {Buffet, for example}, hasn't happened right before I get to that piece of cake. But, IF I saw the "act" happen, ewww .... 

To me seeing that kids mouth up on the spigot "enjoying" the creamy treat, well, I can't ignore it. 

What I find disgusting, is my "subjective" food opinion. Enjoy!🍦🍦

If they know what's good for them, they'd clean it ASAP. If it were me, I wouldn't just tell some random crew member mopping the floor, I'd find a manager or go to Guest Services. Shoot, I'd pull out my phone and start taking video of the kid right there where he/she could see me doing it. Then I'd ask them if they want to go get mommy or daddy while I show Guest Services..

3 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

If I complained to a crew member every time I saw a passenger doing something unsanitary, I would have no time to do anything else. Most of the time, the adults are worse than the kids.

Watching someone put their mouth on a food product dispenser that serves the public would be pretty high up on my list of unsanitary things, so it'd be worth a little of my time to make the crew aware. That's just me, I'm different I guess, because even if I chose to never eat their soft-serve again, I know hundreds/thousands of people will, so I'd still notify someone. And, preferably, I'd like the person doing wrong to answer for it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

Reporting the most egregious things we see is a kindness. 

2 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Reporting the most egregious things we see is a kindness. 

Well I guess I am just not kind then. Who knew?

They clean the ice cream machines constantly. Half the time I walk by. There is an employee cleaning or filling it. Reporting what I saw maybe would have accelerated the process by 5 minutes. Eat at the buffet at your own risk. Most of the stuff that passengers have an opportunity to touch is nasty...just like land buffets. 

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

If they know what's good for them, they'd clean it ASAP. If it were me, I wouldn't just tell some random crew member mopping the floor, I'd find a manager or go to Guest Services. Shoot, I'd pull out my phone and start taking video of the kid right there where he/she could see me doing it. Then I'd ask them if they want to go get mommy or daddy while I show Guest Services..

Watching someone put their mouth on a food product dispenser that serves the public would be pretty high up on my list of unsanitary things, so it'd be worth a little of my time to make the crew aware. That's just me, I'm different I guess, because even if I chose to never eat their soft-serve again, I know hundreds/thousands of people will, so I'd still notify someone. And, preferably, I'd like the person doing wrong to answer for it.

That's what security cameras are for. I'm sure I wasn't the only person to see it. Why is it my responsibility vs someone else's to waste my time in the guest services line for something that will have already been cleaned by the time I get a chance to talk to someone? I am not the cruise ship police. 

I find it interesting that you said you'll only order ice cream in the MDR because of what you saw, yet later you said the Lido machines are cleaned constantly. So much so that, if you reported it, it would only get it cleaned five minutes sooner. And that it will have already been cleaned by the time you tell someone. If you see them clean the machines that often, I wouldn't think you'd be so afraid to eat from them. Especially if you got it right after they cleaned it. But hey, whatever floats your boat. 😉

On 8/14/2019 at 6:10 PM, Organized Chaos said:

I find it interesting that you said you'll only order ice cream in the MDR because of what you saw, yet later you said the Lido machines are cleaned constantly. So much so that, if you reported it, it would only get it cleaned five minutes sooner. And that it will have already been cleaned by the time you tell someone. If you see them clean the machines that often, I wouldn't think you'd be so afraid to eat from them. Especially if you got it right after they cleaned it. But hey, whatever floats your boat. 😉

The point is, I don't know who touched it right before I got there. 

Besides, the ice cream is not that good anyway.