Phone Call from Princess

sylvabell

Dear Cruise Critic Friends,

Would it be normal for Princess Cruises to phone you after you signed up online for their newsletter and offer to help you and give you special deals?  This happened to me today.

I'm very conscious in the world of scams that this could be a friendly Nigerian trying to get my credit card details.  I got a fake text from the Tax Office the other day trying to catch me, just a week after I did my tax return.  So I'm a bit suspicious.  But I don't want to miss out on any deals.

I'm in Australia and the call came what looked like a Sydney number.  And he actually left a message, which scammers don't usually do.  And he followed up with an email.  Seems legit, but you never know....

Thanks,

Sylvia

Just now, sylvabell said:

Would it be normal for Princess Cruises to phone you after you signed up online for their newsletter and offer to help you and give you special deals?  This happened to me today.

I'm very conscious in the world of scams that this could be a friendly Nigerian trying to get my credit card details.  I got a fake text from the Tax Office the other day trying to catch me, just a week after I did my tax return.  So I'm a bit suspicious.  But I don't want to miss out on any deals.

I'm in Australia and the call came what looked like a Sydney number.  And he actually left a message, which scammers don't usually do.  And he followed up with an email.  Seems legit, but you never know....

Thanks,

Sylvia

Princess uses PVP's (Princess Vacation Planners) they can be very pushy.

I tell them to pound sand.

Not sure who called you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is not uncommon for a Princess Vacation Planner to call to follow up on a request for information. They want to sell you a cruise. Some of them are really helpful and some are not. If you want to book direct with Princess instead of with a travel agent, you may find one of them useful. The main advantage is that you are working with the same person instead of whoever answers the phone that day.

15 hours ago, sylvabell said:

Yes, normal. 

FYI: Don't worry about dealing with a person who called you until they ask for payment. With Princess, you can have the person book the reservation for you, and tell them you will pay the deposit on-line. Then you can login to your Princess account and make payment. They should give you at least 1 day to make a deposit to lock in the fare. If they don't, then tell them to have a nice day.

14 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

The main advantage is that you are working with the same person instead of whoever answers the phone that day.

I/we've had some pretty decent luck with re-faring by first calling the 'whoever answers the phone that "call" '

Pretty good at knowing what they 'should' offer ... but sometimes you can 'luck' into someone "special" who states ...

"let me see what I can do, do you mind if I put you on hold/" ... why no, that will be fine ...

never had anything good with assigned PVP's ... I've 'fired' a couple, and the last one 'fired me' ...

• Like 1

Half these people have never been on a ship ,how are they to help me? I do it myself after 39 cruises I know what I want. Last booking I booked Caribe deck balcony crown Princess, stated do not upgrade sure as ***** they did, I know it is no guarantee but I got my Caribe balcony back! Princess rep could not understand why I did not want the upgrade...duh!!

Sign in on Princess and click on Profile Information under the my account tab in the upper right corner.

Then you will see a section called "Receive Offers and News", click on "edit" and then check "no" for phone and then the green save button. No more phone calls.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.51.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.50.50 PM.png

16 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Princess uses PVP's (Princess Vacation Planners) they can be very pushy.

I tell them to pound sand.

Not sure who called you.

Yeah, I prefer to tell them to pound salt.  It may be a generational or cultural difference but, I am sure, they get the idea.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sylvabell said:

Thanks,

Sylvia

I would ask that person for their phone number and extension number if you want to talk to them.  Don't rely on what the Caller ID shows as the calling number, it may be 'spoofed.'  I would then go online to get Princess' phone number, call it and ask for that person at that extension.  If they can't take a return call, I wouldn't deal with them.  BTW - do you post your cruises on social media?  That's a good way for a scammer to impersonate a cruise line you used in the past.

20 hours ago, sylvabell said:

Thanks,

Sylvia

Hi Syliva,

When a PVP from Princess sends me an e-mail at the bottom it always states, please disregard this message if you are working with a travel agent.

On 8/15/2019 at 2:04 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

2 months prior to a cruise I had booked through my TA I had a PVP call and send me an email me asking me questions about it at 8pm one night.

Totally inappropriate.

I called Princess about something after cruise was booked and was told they couldn't talk to me because I had a TA. Hmm...

7 hours ago, SmilesYourWay said:

I called Princess about something after cruise was booked and was told they couldn't talk to me because I had a TA. Hmm...

Yes that is true they will not talk to you,you have to go through your TA! These days I book direct that way I can handle my booking!

Edited by Reader0108598