Disembarking in Venice after an overnight stay?

kstrittm

All,

I will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam next summer.  She arrives in Venice in the afternoon, stays overnight, and then I disembark the next morning.  Our itinerary says "arrival in Venice" at 6:00 am.  Obviously, that's wrong since we arrive the day before.  Does that actually mean that we are able to disembark as early as 6:00?  I'm making travel arrangements and wonder if I can make an 11:00 flight.  Has anybody experienced a similar itinerary?

Thanks in advance...

We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam sailing May 22, 2020 from Rome - disembark in Venice June 3rd. We are going to a hotel in Venice for a couple of days before continuing on our travels.  Any information is going to be helpful!

As noted, you can disembark and leave the ship anytime after the original clearance. The 6:00 time given probably refers to the time when the gangway will be staffed; however, if you need to leave earlier you can make arrangements to do so. (I've left the ship as early as 3:00 am on such overnights -- I let the staff know and they arranged to have someone at the gangway just to "beep" you out and send you on your way.)

1 hour ago, shipgirl56 said:

We are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam sailing May 22, 2020 from Rome - disembark in Venice June 3rd. We are going to a hotel in Venice for a couple of days before continuing on our travels.  Any information is going to be helpful!

No need to rush off the ship since your hotel will most likely not be able to check you into your room.  However, they should be able to hold your luggage so you can go off and explore a bit and return at the appropriate time.

Venice is easy to explore and sometimes you see more just walking around that setting out for anything specific.  But the sights are magnificent 😄 

Suggest you consider the transportion after u disembark. We did this a few years ago. It was not smooth.  My sister had arranged a taxi but it was a long way from the ship and they had to drag their bags. We took the Peoplemover but it doesn't start that early. We missed the first one as the gate was still locked. The next one, we ended up going the wrong way as the electronic signs at the station were reversed. Not a major issue but did waste time.  

13 hours ago, kazu said:

No need to rush off the ship since your hotel will most likely not be able to check you into your room.  However, they should be able to hold your luggage so you can go off and explore a bit and return at the appropriate time.

Venice is easy to explore and sometimes you see more just walking around that setting out for anything specific.  But the sights are magnificent 😄 

On June 2, the N. Amsterdam doesn't arrive in Venice until noon, or something like that. It is not a standard early morning arrival. We arrive in Venice on the 14th, at 10am. We will disembark after lunch.

8 hours ago, john2003 said:

Suggest you consider the transportion after u disembark. We did this a few years ago. It was not smooth.  My sister had arranged a taxi but it was a long way from the ship and they had to drag their bags. We took the Peoplemover but it doesn't start that early. We missed the first one as the gate was still locked. The next one, we ended up going the wrong way as the electronic signs at the station were reversed. Not a major issue but did waste time.  

There are some issues in Venice. In or case, our hotel on the mainland has a shuttle to P. Roma midafternoon. 

10 hours ago, john2003 said:

Strange. Three years ago we had arranged for a taxi to take us to P.Roma and were met right at the terminal exit. 

2 hours ago, Love the beach said:

Strange. Three years ago we had arranged for a taxi to take us to P.Roma and were met right at the terminal exit. 

I think it was a matter of the time. My sister's was very early. 

3 minutes ago, john2003 said:

I think it was a matter of the time. My sister's was very early. 

We had made arrangements with a taxi driver the night before as we were getting back onboard after our day in Venice. That might be the way to go. We didn't want to hassle the people mover with our luggage .

On 8/15/2019 at 7:31 PM, kstrittm said:

All,

I will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam next summer.  She arrives in Venice in the afternoon, stays overnight, and then I disembark the next morning.  Our itinerary says "arrival in Venice" at 6:00 am.  Obviously, that's wrong since we arrive the day before.  Does that actually mean that we are able to disembark as early as 6:00?  I'm making travel arrangements and wonder if I can make an 11:00 flight.  Has anybody experienced a similar itinerary?

Thanks in advance...

I will be experiencing a similar situation next May on the Zuiderdam.  I even have a 11 am flight booked back to the States through flight ease.  If you are flying out the next morning why just not book your transfer to the airport through HAL.  That is what I have done at a cost of $49 pp which I think is a great deal for Venice.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:38 AM, ncgolferette said:

I will be experiencing a similar situation next May on the Zuiderdam.  I even have a 11 am flight booked back to the States through flight ease.  If you are flying out the next morning why just not book your transfer to the airport through HAL.  That is what I have done at a cost of $49 pp which I think is a great deal for Venice.

If we arrive 3 days prior to the cruise and leave 2 days after the cruise, I am assuming that HAL transfer don't apply.  Am I correct?

7 hours ago, shipgirl56 said:

If we arrive 3 days prior to the cruise and leave 2 days after the cruise, I am assuming that HAL transfer don't apply.  Am I correct?

They will transfer from and to the airport, or their hotel. If you are coming from/going elsewhere, the only way to take their transfers is use their routes. For example, we have stayed at a airport hotel before or after a cruise, and taken their transfer from the airport hotel to the ship, or from the ship to the airport.

• 3 years later...

The last response to this question was back in 2019 and looking for more recent experience.  We will arrive in Venice on June 10 2023 in the PM) and disembarkation is the next morning as the ship overnights (same as original question.  We wish to catch a 1025am flight the next morning and wanted to confirm we can get off the ship early enough to catch this flight with our own arranged transportation.  Anyone have more recent experience with the change to the "new" cruise terminal??

Many thanks

I experienced this in June and here is a copy of my posting at that time.

The time taken from being called to disembark to arriving at Marco Polo Airport was 2h 25m.

Then the security queue was over 1 hour.  

I would be quite stressed with a 10.25am flight.

Quote:

So, just to report on the disembarkation and the transfer to VCE Marco Polo Airport.

Bear in mind that we docked in Trieste yesterday lunchtime, so HAL logistics had a lot of time to get it arranged properly, which may not happen with cruises which arrive the morning of disembarkation.

First group was scheduled for 6am disembarkation, and at 6am they were called on to disembark.   Here is the line of buses that were outside the terminal at 6.30am

20220625_062651.thumb.jpg.e8db71117f6895732fd93cc6c181f10e.jpg

We were scheduled for 7.30 am disembarkation and at 7.30 am we were called.  A few minutes later we were in the terminal building collecting our bags (there were trollies and porters available) and headed down to the quayside where buses were waiting.  There were numbers on the buses to correspond to the baggage/disembarkation ticket (we were Black 3) and we put the bags into the bus (the driver was helping others put their bags in) and a few minutes later we were on our way. The bus had 51 seats and only 20 pax were onboard.  We arrived at the Bus park at the airport at 9.55am, so in total from start to finish 2h 25 minutes.  Pretty, pretty good.

We were happy with the transfer and would do it again.

Our personal troubles just started then, as we were 2 hours too early to check in and when we returned to the check in counters it seemed that everyone else on the flight was ahead of us in the queue.  Then there was a monstrous queue at security.   😭 Then the aircraft was held at the gate for an hour because of air traffic problems.

It has been a long day and I really don't care if there is a pillow chocolate tonight or not, I just want to get my head down and close my eyes.

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Our personal troubles just started then, as we were 2 hours too early to check in and when we returned to the check in counters it seemed that everyone else on the flight was ahead of us in the queue. 

Thank you for your description of the process, VMax.  We have transfers but are not catching a flight that day.  We are going to be staying a few days.  Could you please expand on “2 hours too early”?  We have flown into VCE, but never out.  Their website says to arrive 3 hours prior.  Did you arrive 5 hours before your flight?  Any tips?

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Thank you for your description of the process, VMax.  We have transfers but are not catching a flight that day.  We are going to be staying a few days.  Could you please expand on “2 hours too early”?  We have flown into VCE, but never out.  Their website says to arrive 3 hours prior.  Did you arrive 5 hours before your flight?  Any tips?

Our flight was intra europe, so different parameters.  Also we were flying Ryanair, which was based on South west (?) and is pretty strict on checkin times and baggage weights. Our flight was 2pm so they did not open checkin until 12 noon.  We were at the airport from 10am!

If you have a USA direct flight then it is a different checkin area and different security area, so it may not apply to you.  

You will probably have a completely different experience.

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

Our flight was intra europe, so different parameters.  Also we were flying Ryanair, which was based on South west (?) and is pretty strict on checkin times and baggage weights. Our flight was 2pm so they did not open checkin until 12 noon.  We were at the airport from 10am!

If you have a USA direct flight then it is a different checkin area and different security area, so it may not apply to you.  

You will probably have a completely different experience.

Thank you.  My sister will be flying to the UK (where she lives) and I will be flying to Paris.  Neither of us are flying with Ryanair, however, so we should be good.  Thanks again.

4 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

We have flown into VCE, but never out.  Their website says to arrive 3 hours prior.  Did you arrive 5 hours before your flight?  Any tips?

In some airports I've traveled through in Europe, specific flights for an airline are often assigned certain check-in counters and they may not open until 2 hours before your flight. (This is unlike many US airports where you can, say, wait in the Delta check-in line for any upcoming Delta flight, within a long window.)  This happens even with major carriers.

You might be tempted, knowing this, to show up 2 hours before your flight. But don't be tempted. Because folks who arrived an hour or two before you have been standing in line and you'll find yourself at the end of a long queue!  

There is usually some kind of sign or board with the counter numbers given for check-in for each specific flight. Once you know that, I'd recommend just getting in line for those counters. It's not fun, but does keep you ahead of the pack.

If you have status with your airline or access to a special check-in lane, then I'd say the above need not apply -- but I'd still probably be in line a bit before the opening bell.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

In some airports I've traveled through in Europe, specific flights for an airline are often assigned certain check-in counters and they may not open until 2 hours before your flight. (This is unlike many US airports where you can, say, wait in the Delta check-in line for any upcoming Delta flight, within a long window.)  This happens even with major carriers.

You might be tempted, knowing this, to show up 2 hours before your flight. But don't be tempted. Because folks who arrived an hour or two before you have been standing in line and you'll find yourself at the end of a long queue!  

There is usually board with the counter numbers given for check-in for each specific flight. Once you know that, I'd recommend just getting in line for those counters. It's not fun, but does keep you ahead of the pack.

If you have status with your airline or access to a special check-in lane, then I'd say the above need not apply -- but I'd still probably be in line a bit before the opening bell.

Thank you, @cruisemom42.  By the time this trip is over I will have hit 10 airports with four different airlines.  It did not start out this way.  lol

We just got off a cruise that ended in Trieste (was originally supposed to end in Venice) and had an unusual experience.  The ship docked in Trieste at 1PM and we were free to explore Trieste that afternoon.  However the captain told us that the ship would be moved in the middle of the night to a different pier in Trieste.  You could not leave or return to the ship from about 2AM until 5:30AM the next morning.  So although we technically overnighted in port, you could not get off until 5:30AM the next morning.  BTW, the piers were about 3 miles apart; the first pier was at the cruise terminal in the city but the second was in an industrial port far from the downtown.  HAL provided shuttle buses back to the cruise terminal the next day, or in our case, gave us a bus transfer directly to the Venice airport.