Help picking suite vs aqua on m class

Notaworryintheworld

I’ve scrolled through numerous pages of cruise critic reviews and threads and through the cabin compilation and I still can’t decide! 

Its our first time on celebrity and it is an 11 night southern Caribbean itinerary on the constellation. In the past we’ve done mainly balconies or jr suited on royal, plus a couple less enjoyable cruises on Norwegian and carnival. 

Options are 1140–aft aqua. My understanding is that would have a bigger balcony but we’d lose access to the retreat. I’m worried about noise and privacy based on some reviews but would love the bigger balcony. 

Other option is a sky suite for about $800 more on deck 6. Like the idea of the retreat deck with 5 sea days and also the extra restaurant. 

Thoughts on which we should choose? Am I missing any other pros/cons? I’m being so indecisive! 

We have stayed in 1138 next to 1140.  Love the balcony, much larger than the Sky Suite or Celebrity Suite balconies on the M Class ship.  Privacy isn’t a big issue, yes people can look up from the Sunset bar but they have to be on the outer part of the seating area and you have to be by the balcony rail.  There is some sound from the people below and the movies being shown on Deck 12 can be heard.  How much depends on what movie.  Neither the movie or bar below are a concern after 10.

The Sky Suites on Deck 6 have the lifeboats and davits obstructing the view for many of them.  The balconies are narrow, 2 chairs & tiny table are all that fits.

The Summit (same as the Constellation ) was just updated and a big complaint is that the Retreat Deck which is on Deck 12 forward is very windy and has minimal shade.   If you can snag either Sky Suite 6145 or 6146 you will have a large balcony,  slightly larger than the other SS and It has a larger bath than the others.

Luminae is very nice as it Blu which is the dining room for Aqua Class guests. 

We just booked and the difference in price was +$1200 for a Sky Suite over Aqua.  We booked 1138 Aqua with the big aft balcony.  

• Like 1

We love the Deck 11 AQ’s...on the side.   We felt the aft was too open to below. Some can also be viewed from the aft stairs outside. When taking no a cruise longer than 7-10 nights, we will choose a Suite. Love the extra room and perks.  Plus we can eat in Luminae or Blu when space is available.  

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

My DH and I love 1140 on the M class ships.  Very deep balcony, which is not easy to see up into from the sunset bar and we never had any problem with noise.  During day occasionally heard a little bit of the movie, but at night we mainly hear the guitarist at the sunset bar which was really lovely.

• Like 2

In both categories you get a special restaurant, they are your assigned dining rooms not the MDR.  Luminae is the suite restaurant open for all three meals except lunch on port days.   You can eat in Blu if space is available but Luminae is your assigned restaurant.  Blu is also your assigned restaurant in AQ cabins, again, not the MDR.   It is available only for breakfast and dinner.   I have eaten in both and they are a definite step about the MDR.  

Blu is not a suite and you don't get any of the suite amenities, no Butler, no Retreat Lounge, no retreat sun deck and some other amenities depending on the suite.   

• Like 1

We just had the exact same decision....on the constellation.....a SS2 or an A1.  We opted for 1141 Aqua due to location and view....even though the S2 would have only been $500 pp more with 4 vs 2 perks.  One other consideration was that the retreat is in the bow and the S2 cabins (except handicapped) are in the rear of the ship.  We weren't willing to step up to another $500 for an S1 with better location.  

We actually prefer 1138/1141 to 1140 because they have better views to the side, not just the rear....and the balconies, while not as large as 1140, are still much much larger than the standard size balconies and more room than we need.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies! Not sure why I’m being so indecisive. Can’t seem to get a gut feeling. Anyone have any insight on how hard it is to get loungers on a cruise like this? As I said, I’ve never cruised celebrity before so not sure how helpful having the retreat deck area is. On other cruises, if you weren’t out by 7 am, all the loungers would be reserved. 

We have just booked a b2b on Constellation and have 1140 Aqua class for first cruise and S1 6132 for the second cruise. We have previously sailed  in 1138 on the Millennium and loved having the large balcony. We brought a lounger from the pool area and used it on the balcony. We love Blu but are keen to try Luminae. There was not much difference in price between Aqua and Sky suite so decided to give it a try. 

• Like 1

We just booked a B2B on Constellation in an S1.  When we considered the pricing versus AQ with all 4 perks, it was only $200 more total for the Sky Suite for each leg.  It was a no-brainer for us - it has been ages since we could afford a suite.  If we had picked an A2, we actually would have SAVED money by booking the suite (allowing that we were upgrading to all 4 perks).  Looking forward to the suite life for a change!  (although we love AQ, especially the cabins on Deck 11)

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 1

no comparison AQ is a balcony cabin with some small perks.  However a smelly atomizer, poor tasting tea a different shower head aren’t worth additional. Also many AQ cabins have a poor location under the gym and pool. blu isn’t a great dining venue.  We had been in those cabins three times and never Again.  A sky suite is 50 percent larger. More closet and storage.  access to the retreat and retreat lounge.  Butler service and priority embarking and disembarking. Other perks you can check out on the website.  Imo if you cannot budget a sky suite, consider a well located balcony cabin, with cabins above and below, and enjoy dinner at specialty restaurants. Enjoy your cruise 

• Thanks 1

We were in a Sky Suite with a smaller balcony and LOVED it!  The location near mid-ship was wonderful.  Close to everything.  The room was a good size, not cramped at all, and the balcony was big enough for a love seat and table.  We initially booked a Concierge room 9 months out, and were able to upgrade to the Sky Suite for the same price after final payment date due to the price drop.  Luminae was fantastic!  Enjoy.

Here are some photos from Millennium taken from Sky Suite 6132 looking forward. There are 4 S1's and then 5 S2's. See when the balcony jets in. That is where the S2's start. 

6132 suite2.jpg

6132 suite.jpg

6132 suite1.jpg

Edited by bigbenboys
added words
  • Like 1