Pacific Pumice Raft

8 hours ago, Gnomey said:

Sounds like climate change to me. The government had better tax us to fix it!

Steve.😂

Which Country's government will get the tax though, Tonga's or ours? And how do you fix it? Provide a piece to every citizen to put in their bathroom perhaps.

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I suppose if it breaks up and creates some reef structures then yes, that would be good.

That would be a bit hard as pumice floats, I can find it washed up on beaches around here.

18 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I suppose if it breaks up and creates some reef structures then yes, that would be good.

11 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

That would be a bit hard as pumice floats, I can find it washed up on beaches around here.

It will bring new organisms which attach themselves to the base of the the pumice, and it possibly seeds that float onto the top surface.

A few years ago we did a Top End cruise that stopped at Port Douglas. The beach was covered with pumice. We used to go to PD quite regularly for holidays and had never seen pumice there before. 

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It will bring new organisms which attach themselves to the base of the the pumice, and it possibly seeds that float onto the top surface.

A few years ago we did a Top End cruise that stopped at Port Douglas. The beach was covered with pumice. We used to go to PD quite regularly for holidays and had never seen pumice there before. 

Hope it brings good seeds and organisms rather than the pesky ones.

20 hours ago, Gnomey said:

Sounds like climate change to me. The government had better tax us to fix it!

Steve.😂

19 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Only if you didn't know what climate change actually was.

We all know what climate change is....

Climate has always changed!  

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

yep, but that doesn't mean we should or accelerate the process and/or keep on polluting the air, water and land.

Mother nature will have it's say at some point.  We are all too smart for the good of human kind.  "Progress" will prove to be the inverse and maybe one day a scientist will admit that they don't know anything.

1 hour ago, banzaii said:

Climate has always changed!  

That's like saying that there have always been bushfires so we don't need to do anything about the fires people start.

It's not that climate is not always changing, it's why it's changing right now, how fast it's changing and what to do about the change.

Scientists know a lot of things, they have the best way of finding things out, and you are typing on one of the things that they created.

Facts beat feelings every time.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

That's like saying that there have always been bushfires so we don't need to do anything about the fires people start.

It's not that climate is not always changing, it's why it's changing right now, how fast it's changing and what to do about the change.

Scientists know a lot of things, they have the best way of finding things out, and you are typing on one of the things that they created.

Facts beat feelings every time.

Exactly my point.  There are no facts only feelings when it comes to climate change!

There are some facts that suggest human kind is quickly contributing to degredation of the planet.  Deforestation through logging and fire, both natural and intentionally lit; Destruction of natural habitats through 'development'; Pollution of waterways and the atmosphere and unsustainable population growth.

But over millions of years, man has only truly evolved to be a realistic threat to the planet over the past 100 years.  We truly have no idea how, if, when and at what rate climate has and will change.  It's just a popular band wagon invented by scientists to attract funding. 

We can throw money at a barely tangible concept and support these 'experts' or we could focus funding and attention on something real like the issues themselves.

Edited by banzaii
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, banzaii said:

Exactly my point.  There are no facts only feelings when it comes to climate change!

There are some facts that suggest human kind is quickly contributing to degredation of the planet.  Deforestation through logging and fire, both natural and intentionally lit; Destruction of natural habitats through 'development'; Pollution of waterways and the atmosphere and unsustainable population growth.

But over millions of years, man has only truly evolved to be a realistic threat to the planet over the past 100 years.  We truly have no idea how, if, when and at what rate climate has and will change.  It's just a popular band wagon invented by scientists to attract funding. 

We can throw money at a barely tangible concept and support these 'experts' or we could focus funding and attention on something real like the issues themselves.

Disagree with the data is one thing but to say it doesn't exist is an insult to the decades of data gathering and millions of hours scientists have poured (a lot of it on volunteer basis) into analysing and corroberating all the evidence. The data has been gathered from all around the world by different scientists in many fields. It is out there as public information for people to anaylse themselves. Read the research papers, look at how the results are consistantly repeated. It is one of the few fields of science where the experiments are actually repeated. There is no field of science more heavily scrutinised and overflowing with data points than climate science. We have used less data to create human medicine than the data that is coming out of climate science. Humans created a hole in the ozone layer why is it so hard to believe that we can change the climate? At the end of the day it is the same basic concept about the changes we make to the composition of the atmosphere and how it reacts. Simple chemistry on a world wide scale. The sad thing is climate change is actually really simple science in comparison to something like quantum physics and yet for some bizarre reason it is so hard for people to get their head around.

• Like 3

I suppose we can agree that even with facts showing an acceleration of degradation to the world's condition, some people will still choose to do nothing because it costs money, and they won't be around to see the results anyway. I for one, would rather not leave the world in a worse condition than it is now, for my children and grandchildren.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It's one thing to be wrong, another thing to be stupid.

In the modern world, as shame has gone, so has the worry of feeling stupid.

Now "opinions" are the most important thing to protect. Hence facts are also on the way out...

• Like 1