Jump to content

Ultimate World Cruise 245 days and all the parts. Ongoing review, questions, opinion


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Safe travels all.  Let us know how it went when you are safely home, Andy.🍺

Thanks Jim - Currently we are all in the hotel adjacent to LHR. The others are on the Toronto flight tomorrow and us on the Vancouver one. Viking have been brilliant - we had 3 chaps meet us at the end of the jet way and they escorted us throughout Immigration, Customs and baggage re-claim.

 

We were then met by 3 vans to transport us to the hotel. Tomorrow morning, we have pick up at 11:15 and the same chap will meet us at arrivals and escort us through check-in to the Lounge.

 

In addition to the hotel, Viking have placed 75 quid on each rooms to cover dinner and breakfast.

 

Brilliant service.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jazmyn49 said:

The Sun is just now departing Gibraltar for Lisbon.  Safe travels to those finally heading home!

 

 

Captain planned to depart Gib, as soon as the flight was wheels up. Noted on AIS they are at 18.5 kts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks Jim - Currently we are all in the hotel adjacent to LHR. The others are on the Toronto flight tomorrow and us on the Vancouver one. Viking have been brilliant - we had 3 chaps meet us at the end of the jet way and they escorted us throughout Immigration, Customs and baggage re-claim.

 

We were then met by 3 vans to transport us to the hotel. Tomorrow morning, we have pick up at 11:15 and the same chap will meet us at arrivals and escort us through check-in to the Lounge.

 

In addition to the hotel, Viking have placed 75 quid on each rooms to cover dinner and breakfast.

 

Brilliant service.

I'm sad that it has ended. I would have cried getting off. I actually did cry saying goodbye to the staff last year Auckland to Bali.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks Jim - Currently we are all in the hotel adjacent to LHR. The others are on the Toronto flight tomorrow and us on the Vancouver one. Viking have been brilliant - we had 3 chaps meet us at the end of the jet way and they escorted us throughout Immigration, Customs and baggage re-claim.

 

We were then met by 3 vans to transport us to the hotel. Tomorrow morning, we have pick up at 11:15 and the same chap will meet us at arrivals and escort us through check-in to the Lounge.

 

In addition to the hotel, Viking have placed 75 quid on each rooms to cover dinner and breakfast.

 

Brilliant service.

 

22 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks Jim - Currently we are all in the hotel adjacent to LHR. The others are on the Toronto flight tomorrow and us on the Vancouver one. Viking have been brilliant - we had 3 chaps meet us at the end of the jet way and they escorted us throughout Immigration, Customs and baggage re-claim.

 

We were then met by 3 vans to transport us to the hotel. Tomorrow morning, we have pick up at 11:15 and the same chap will meet us at arrivals and escort us through check-in to the Lounge.

 

In addition to the hotel, Viking have placed 75 quid on each rooms to cover dinner and breakfast.

 

Brilliant service.

Happy for all 8 of you that you finally going home. Safe travels!

Sad that after following your trip daily after disembarking in LA. The won’t be any suspense any more and urge to check the thread. 

🥂 to Magnificent Eight!!

🥂 to Viking and crew!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could someone who knows the 8 Canadians find out, did they in fact leave London Heathrow?  As I look at British Airways flights for today, Saturday, April 11, flight to Vancouver was cancelled, as were the two daily flights to Toronto.  Were they flying by commercial flights or were they on charters? Really hope they aren’t stuck at the airport.

Here’s  hope I’m wrong!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jebbs said:

Could someone who knows the 8 Canadians find out, did they in fact leave London Heathrow?  As I look at British Airways flights for today, Saturday, April 11, flight to Vancouver was cancelled, as were the two daily flights to Toronto.  Were they flying by commercial flights or were they on charters? Really hope they aren’t stuck at the airport.

Here’s  hope I’m wrong!!!!!

The 6 of us on the Air Canada flight to Toronto landed 45 minutes ago. All safe & sound. The end of a wonderful journey. Judy and Andy were to leave for Vancouver several hours after us. Hopefully they are in the air. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jebbs said:

Could someone who knows the 8 Canadians find out, did they in fact leave London Heathrow?  As I look at British Airways flights for today, Saturday, April 11, flight to Vancouver was cancelled, as were the two daily flights to Toronto.  Were they flying by commercial flights or were they on charters? Really hope they aren’t stuck at the airport.

Here’s  hope I’m wrong!!!!!

 

They were flying on Air Canada from LHR to Vancouver.  The flight from Gibraltar to LHR was on BA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jebbs said:

Could someone who knows the 8 Canadians find out, did they in fact leave London Heathrow?  As I look at British Airways flights for today, Saturday, April 11, flight to Vancouver was cancelled, as were the two daily flights to Toronto.  Were they flying by commercial flights or were they on charters? Really hope they aren’t stuck at the airport.

Here’s  hope I’m wrong!!!!!

I think Heidi13 (Judy and Andy ) said that they were flying to Vancouver on Air Canada.   If so, Air Canada Flight 855 left LHR at 2:00 PM (London Time) and as of 4:00 PM (EDT) is due to arrive at YVR at 3:26 PM (Vancouver Time) which is 14 minutes ahead of schedule.

Link to post
Share on other sites

THANK YOU!

I was thinking the worst, rather than the BEST! Can always count on Cruise Critic community.

As Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz says “There’s no place like home” 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Sad the Ultimate World Cruise is ended but good the Magnificent Eight are safely heading home.  Happy Easter all.🍸

Thanks Jim - just got home a couple of hours ago. Ray & Wanda had a night in Toronto before flying home, so it will be tomorrow for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2oldishcoots said:

The 6 of us on the Air Canada flight to Toronto landed 45 minutes ago. All safe & sound. The end of a wonderful journey. Judy and Andy were to leave for Vancouver several hours after us. Hopefully they are in the air. 

Welcome back to Canada!  Now you have time to relax and enjoy your home.  Spring has arrived in BC and we are fortunate to be having a string of beautiful sunny days.  Hope that all is well you both and that you gradually adapt to life without the luxury we all enjoyed so much on the Viking Sun.  Have a lovely Easter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jebbs said:

Could someone who knows the 8 Canadians find out, did they in fact leave London Heathrow?  As I look at British Airways flights for today, Saturday, April 11, flight to Vancouver was cancelled, as were the two daily flights to Toronto.  Were they flying by commercial flights or were they on charters? Really hope they aren’t stuck at the airport.

Here’s  hope I’m wrong!!!!!

British Airways have shut down most flights and most of LHR is a parking lot for the BA Fleet. LHR only using 1 runway. We all flew Air Canada

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2oldishcoots said:

The 6 of us on the Air Canada flight to Toronto landed 45 minutes ago. All safe & sound. The end of a wonderful journey. Judy and Andy were to leave for Vancouver several hours after us. Hopefully they are in the air. 

Arrived at our gate (B41) as you flight was pushing back. We were waving from the windows. We pushed back a few minutes early and were wheels up only a few minutes after departure from the gate.

 

Never seen LHR so quiet, only saw about 1 flight landing per hour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dukefan said:

I think Heidi13 (Judy and Andy ) said that they were flying to Vancouver on Air Canada.   If so, Air Canada Flight 855 left LHR at 2:00 PM (London Time) and as of 4:00 PM (EDT) is due to arrive at YVR at 3:26 PM (Vancouver Time) which is 14 minutes ahead of schedule.

Affirmative, we had a straight in approach with wheels down about 15:17, scoring one of the closest gates to the terminal, for a change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Islandbc said:

Welcome back to Canada!  Now you have time to relax and enjoy your home.  Spring has arrived in BC and we are fortunate to be having a string of beautiful sunny days.  Hope that all is well you both and that you gradually adapt to life without the luxury we all enjoyed so much on the Viking Sun.  Have a lovely Easter.

Thanks Janet - As we start being house bound for 2 weeks, life is already a shock - had to carry own cases, make dinner and even do the dishes.

 

Still waiting for nightly turn-down, but sadly it isn't happening. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks Janet - As we start being house bound for 2 weeks, life is already a shock - had to carry own cases, make dinner and even do the dishes.

 

Still waiting for nightly turn-down, but sadly it isn't happening. 

We arrived in BC on Mar. 19th and life hasn't changed much since getting out of quarantine.  Good thing that we are used to the retired life together on a quiet island.  I did tell Keith tonight that I was getting tired of making dinner every night!  My reward was wine with dinner....not so bad!  Sleep well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks Janet - As we start being house bound for 2 weeks, life is already a shock - had to carry own cases, make dinner and even do the dishes.

 

Still waiting for nightly turn-down, but sadly it isn't happening. 

Welcome Home!   
 

I’ve discovered that if you don’t have the room steward make the bed up in the morning that it will automatically be turned down for you at bedtime!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Welcome Home!   
 

I’ve discovered that if you don’t have the room steward make the bed up in the morning that it will automatically be turned down for you at bedtime!

Thanks Clay - way too tired to think that one through last night. Must remember that one for this morning, when DW gets up. Sadly it's 03:00 on the West Coast and I'm wide awake, since it would have been Noon in Gibraltar.

 

When we escape quarantine, we should be adjusted to the times.😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Islandbc said:

We arrived in BC on Mar. 19th and life hasn't changed much since getting out of quarantine.  Good thing that we are used to the retired life together on a quiet island.  I did tell Keith tonight that I was getting tired of making dinner every night!  My reward was wine with dinner....not so bad!  Sleep well.

Couldn't believe how little traffic was on the road. Made it home in 45 mins, which at that time would normally be 2 hrs. Even Metro Vancouver is resembling the quiet island life, at least for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...