London - Greenwich?

Jammy Bun

I've just been looking at Viking ships' itineraries on Cruisemapper, and can't see any mention of cruises into or out of Greenwich.  London sailings now seem to be out of Tilbury, which is about an hour from London. 

Is this due to local protests, does anyone know?

13 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

I've just been looking at Viking ships' itineraries on Cruisemapper, and can't see any mention of cruises into or out of Greenwich.  London sailings now seem to be out of Tilbury, which is about an hour from London. 

Is this due to local protests, does anyone know?

I just had this exact conversation with Viking today.  I also went to CruiseMapper to get the location of Viking Sun and was a bit concerned when they showed Viking Sun at Tilbury on the 31st.  All our documents say boarding at Greenwich.  Viking confirmed Greenwich and said they don't know where CruiseMapper got their info.  So, Greenwich it is.🍸

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I just had this exact conversation with Viking today.  I also went to CruiseMapper to get the location of Viking Sun and was a bit concerned when they showed Viking Sun at Tilbury on the 31st.  All our documents say boarding at Greenwich.  Viking confirmed Greenwich and said they don't know where CruiseMapper got their info.  So, Greenwich it is.🍸

Same thing happened on our 2019 WC.  But we very happily moored in Greenwich, right across from the City Sark.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

We booked British Isles for March 2021 and the itinerary states Greenwich - in fact, the included excursion is Greenwich by foot with a time allowance of 1.5 hours.

HOWEVER.....

Our guest statement says Tilbury. But then again, the statement also says Belfast is in Ireland ( the itinerary correctly reads Northern Ireland).

35 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Looks like CruiseMapper got their info from Viking 😄  But it appears it is (and will be) Greenwich.

Cruise mapper erroneously showed Tilbury for London on our "Into the Midnight Sun" trip this year too. In fact Viking does mostly use Greenwich for London but there are exceptions.

Looking at Viking's own site both "In Search of the Northern Lights" and "Iberian Explorer" currently show that they plan to use Tilbury on these itineraries rather than Greenwich and there may be others I have missed. So for these particular itineraries Cruise mapper would likely have it right!

Further to Jim's post advising the Ultimate 245-day is starting in Greenwich, it is also ending in Greenwich, although Cruisemapper has Tilbury.

Greenwich is a great location to start/end a cruise, even if it involves tenders. Tilbury - used it once & no desire to return. The passenger terminal is a minimally converted cargo shed.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Further to Jim's post advising the Ultimate 245-day is starting in Greenwich, it is also ending in Greenwich, although Cruisemapper has Tilbury.

Greenwich is a great location to start/end a cruise, even if it involves tenders. Tilbury - used it once & no desire to return. The passenger terminal is a minimally converted cargo shed.

Does Viking always use tenders at Greenwich, or is it only at times when there are a lot of other ships there?

9 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Does Viking always use tenders at Greenwich, or is it only at times when there are a lot of other ships there?

If you look at Google Maps, satellite view, zoom in on Greenwich and you'll see a Silversea ship moored in the river.  Also you can see the Greenwich pier, where the tenders take you.  

29 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

It is no big deal and different from other tendering.  When you check in at the big tent you can turn over any bags you want them to handle.  The ramps are very easy for normal rollaboards.  Down a ramp to one of the Thames Express river cruisers and take a seat.  They run abut every 15 minutes or less depending on demand.  The trip from Greenwich Piers to the barge alongside Viking Sun is literally 2 minutes.  Shortest boat ride you are likely to ever take.  A short ramp to the barge and you are greeted by crew who will ask to take your rollaboards.  Up a ship's ramp at a gentle angle and through the security on board.   Then have a refreshment at the Viking Bar!🍸

Edited by Jim Avery

Yesterday's Guardian newspaper had a photo of the Viking Sun in the Thames at Greenwich.

The online article unfortunately doesn't have the same photo, just some Viking publicity shots - all the same, all about this record breaking longest trip.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/aug/30/around-the-world-in-245-days-just-67k-for-voyage-of-a-lifetime

• Like 1

From the Viking Sun webcam this afternoon, just ahead of the World Cruise departure.  Shows where the Sun is - right off the Greenwich ferry/tender pier.  You can see the Cutty Sark quiet well.  Easy walk to downtown Greenwich, museums, etc.

471890232_20190901VikingSuninGreenwich.thumb.png.acc21c9596f0c38f68dcb6ee5218540f.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pontac said:

@CCWineLover are you going all the way round the world?

(PS - I like that name 😉

Thanks!   Sadly, We are not on this world cruise (wish we were!).   Will be on the Sun next June however, leaving from this same place (Greenwich) on the Midnight Sun cruise.    Love to follow the various cruises via their webcams.  As far as I know the Sun, Viking, and Orion all have them.

https://viking.panomax.com/sun

https://viking.panomax.com/jupiter

https://viking.panomax.com/orion

Just a note that there are never multiple cruise ships in lovely Greenwich.  Definitely only one at a time.  Until the end of 2019 only 4 ships are scheduled according to the Port of London Cruise Ship Diary.

Silver Spirit, Silver Whisper, Europa 2, and one unnamed ship scheduled on Sept 10th.

Just a quick note. We received our magnetic maps last night. The map of the Inaugural was our favorite souvenir of that trip. This one is equally appreciated.oops obviously posted in the wrong thread 

Edited by Jim Avery