Skywalker’s Nightclub: Caribbean Princess

stevenr597

I was just looking at the deck plans on Caribbean Princess.  I noticed that the ship still has the Skywalker’s Nightclub at the stern on located on Deck 18.  I thought that Princess had elected to remove the rear structure from the Grand Princess and other ships of the class.  Why did they decide to keep it on the Caribbean Princess. 

3 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

I was just looking at the deck plans on Caribbean Princess.  I noticed that the ship still has the Skywalker’s Nightclub at the stern on located on Deck 18.  I thought that Princess had elected to remove the rear structure from the Grand Princess and other ships of the class.  Why did they decide to keep it on the Caribbean Princess. 

Might ask this question on the Princess board instead of Carnival.

I’m not sure why Princess removed Skywalkers from some ships and not others. I wish it was still on the Grand which is otherwise our favorite ship. We sailed on the Caribbean last summer and totally enjoyed Skywalkers, we were there every night until late. 

12 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Princess decided to keep it because it is a unique structure.  It has a moving walkway taking you into the bar.  Great views from the floor to ceiling windows. Post #5 explains the mechanical reasons.  Have a great day

13 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

It was never decided to remove all of them. 

As stated in an earlier post it was due to the weight/steel that was used in the first build of the Grand.

Stress cracks were found. Later builds used a much lighter weight material.

• Like 1

I watched a video about the Grand years ago while on another Princess ship.  The superstructure for Skywalkers on the Grand was made of metal while subsequent grand class ships the superstructure was made of composite materials.  The steel structure had hairline cracks and had to be removed or repaired.  Due to the cost it was decided to remove skywalkers from the Grand.  The video I saw showed them removing Skywalkers from the Grand.  There never were any plans to remove it from the other grand class ships since metal fatigue was not an issue.  Subsequent ships like the Ruby etc has Skywalkers moved forward to the rear of the funnel since having Skywalkers hung over the stern made the ship harder to maneuver.