Looking for a clean hotel near Port Canaveral.

DntlGal

We are spending the night near Port Canaveral before our cruise. I've read the reviews and so many say the hotel was dirty, smelled musty and moldy.

Bed sheets were dirty and other bad reviews. I am hoping someone has a hotel they recommend that they have had a good experience staying there.

Thank you all for your help.

You don't say which hotel you are referring to, but I'm sure there would be many others to choose from.  Do a search for hotels near Port Canaveral - a quick check indicated there are 84 in the area. Look for the more noted national chains - my guess is most of them would be fine.  TripAdvisor can also provide reviews.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

25 minutes ago, DntlGal said:

We are spending the night near Port Canaveral before our cruise. I've read the reviews and so many say the hotel was dirty, smelled musty and moldy.

Bed sheets were dirty and other bad reviews. I am hoping someone has a hotel they recommend that they have had a good experience staying there.

What hotel is this that you are talking about? Surely you realize that there are many hotels in the area.  What is your price range?

54 minutes ago, DntlGal said:

Not sure which hotel you are referring to????  

I have stayed in the PC area 25+ times and never had an issue....

My husband and I recently stayed at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Cape Canaveral and thought it was fine.  It's close to the port.  Our room was very clean.  There is a free breakfast and they offer shuttle service to the port. There are a few places within walking distance. Zarellas Italian & Wood Fire Pizza had some of the best Italian food.  So good!! There is a gas station with a small store, Burger King, and also a souvenir store.  We only went out to eat at the Italian restaurant and buy some drinks at the store, so I am not sure what else is around there.

Anyway, we were happy with the hotel.  Since I am a Hilton Honors member (free to join) I got points and was also able to choose my room.  The gym, laundry, and quick exit to the pool are near room 122. The hotel did not have any musty odors.  I would have no problem staying there again. Although we didn't swim, we saw a lot of people enjoying the outdoor pool.

I was on Trip adviser and looked at many hotels. I always check the lowest ratings along with the highest. Many said the hotel smelled moldy and musty. I am allergic to mold and get asthma from it. I am trying to prevent a medical issue by picking the wrong hotel. I know everyone on this message board is so helpful and kind so that is why I asked your opinions. Thank you to all who have given nice responses. To the one who didn't... I'm not interested in staying in Orlando at this time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

You still haven't answered the question, which hotel are you talking about? You only indicate the conditions in one hotel.

"Many said the hotel smelled moldy and musty."

14 hours ago, DntlGal said:

I was on Trip adviser and looked at many hotels. I always check the lowest ratings along with the highest. Many    (ratings) said the hotel(s) smelled moldy and musty. I am allergic to mold and get asthma from it. I am trying to prevent a medical issue by picking the wrong hotel. I know everyone on this message board is so helpful and kind so that is why I asked your opinions. Thank you to all who have given nice responses. To the one who didn't... I'm not interested in staying in Orlando at this time. 

Not just one hotel. Many hotels’ ratings points to a pattern.

15 hours ago, DntlGal said:

I was on Trip adviser and looked at many hotels. I always check the lowest ratings along with the highest. Many said the hotel smelled moldy and musty. I am allergic to mold and get asthma from it. I am trying to prevent a medical issue by picking the wrong hotel. I know everyone on this message board is so helpful and kind so that is why I asked your opinions. Thank you to all who have given nice responses. To the one who didn't... I'm not interested in staying in Orlando at this time. 

It's Florida.  It's pretty well impossible to keep mold at bay, regardless of how much you clean.  I can scrub my shower and two days later have a couple small spots of mold begin to appear.  I am also highly allergic to mold, and do my best to make sure I don't have it in my home.

Also,  even if the mold is dead, it can still show as stains on grout and caulking.  

Warm, moist air brings mold with it, and there's really not much that one can do to completely have zero mold in Florida.  

Not being snarky, but if it's that much of a concern, perhaps vacationing in more arid places would be more suitable for you.

• Like 2

I haven't stayed at any of those hotels near the port (I have a friend with a beach cottage in Cocoa Beach), BUT, those in that tight area after the causeway are all national chains.  They have standards.  They do their best to maintain those standards because they 1)get secret inspections and can be dropped and 2)their traffic is probably 90% cruisers.  If they didn't maintain and lost their cruisers, they'd be out of business. 

As Ducklite said, it's impossible to not have mold and mildew in a warm, humid location.  Places will do their best to minimize it, but it still happens.  My friend's housekeeper does a great job with it.  I'm allergic to mold, too (It's just #4 on my list, behind olive trees, walnut trees and grass).  Antihistamines are my friend when I travel anywhere.  

1 hour ago, Pyrate13 said:

2wheelin, you added the plural to "hotel" not the OP, They clearly stated "the hotel" not hotels, so the question remains, what hotel? 

We interpret the OP differently. They said they checked the ratings on many hotels. The ratings said the (many) hotel(s) had the problem, so yes, I added the s to hotel to clarify for those who interpreted as you did. Obviously they would not pose the question here if they had only checked the rating on one hotel.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:48 PM, DntlGal said:

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. We booked a room at the Country Inn and Suites. Looking forward to our stay there.

We've stayed at that hotel for one of our cruises and it was fine when we were there.  This was back in 2013. We scheduled the shuttle service while we were waiting for a shuttle to the port in their waiting room, someone from the hotel found me and gave me the iPad I had accidentally left in the room.  I was very impressed.  The breakfast was a bit crowded because of all of the cruisers. Our room was nice.  We got one with a bed in one area and bunk beds in a separated area. That was so nice since we were traveling with my son and two of his friends.  Anyway, we thought the hotel was fine.