Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

11 hours ago, roger b said:

L204, des de 2022.04.08 (1).pdf 472.49 kB · 3 downloads

Hi, 

Here are the bus times , let me know how your plan works, Roger 

Roger, 

Thanks for this.   So am I to assume that the 204 bus is the only bus and the 211 is no more?

Anyway, this schedule helps a lot.   I will report back on our day after we return in November.

Thank you again for all of your wonderful help and advice.   (and I will still be following along here)

3 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi , 

Having spent the morning  iin P de Soller and doing the tram ride to Soller .

I now think your way is the the best solution .

So get the shuttle  into the town , walk to the station catch the 10.15 train ,spend a little time in Soller before  getting the tram to P de Soller, and get the bus back to Palma.

It is the 204 and the bus stop is about a 10 min walk from the seafront it is on the 2nd roundabout leaving the town. 

Tickets  can be bought on the tram .

Roger 

Sorry - another quick question (I am beginning to feel like the ultimate dumb tourist here 😁) -

"Tickets  can be bought on the tram ."   Which tickets are you referring to?  (yesterday I turned 73 or maybe I just need more coffee today).  Thanks.

16 minutes ago, the mice said:

Sorry - another quick question (I am beginning to feel like the ultimate dumb tourist here 😁) -

"Tickets  can be bought on the tram ."   Which tickets are you referring to?  (yesterday I turned 73 or maybe I just need more coffee today).  Thanks.

Tickets to ride the tram. 

8 minutes ago, marazul said:

Tickets to ride the tram. 

Thank you!  Just confused because Roger was talking about the bus.   We plan to buy the train/tram tickets in Palma, so we will have a tram ticket when we arrive in Soller.

1 hour ago, the mice said:

You will buy your tickets for the whole journey  at the station in Palma, i mentioned that because  i had told people  to buy them at the tram station  they now sell the tckets on the tram,

Its alright I'm  80 !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the mice said:

Thank you!  Just confused because Roger was talking about the bus.   We plan to buy the train/tram tickets in Palma, so we will have a tram ticket when we arrive in Soller.

This correct  !!

1 minute ago, roger b said:

This correct  !!

1 minute ago, roger b said:

You will buy your tickets for the whole journey  at the station in Palma, i mentioned that because  i had told people  to buy them at the tram station  they now sell the tckets on the tram,

Its alright I'm  80 !!

So we can buy the 204 bus ticket at the Palma train station?  (maybe it's the heat we are having that's getting to me.... or trying to deal with the trenitalia website 😒)

3 hours ago, the mice said:

So we can buy the 204 bus ticket at the Palma train station?  (maybe it's the heat we are having that's getting to me.... or trying to deal with the trenitalia website 😒)

You buy the combined  train and tram ticket either on line or at the station.

For the the return journey you buy your tickets  on the bus.hope this clears the confusion .

• Like 1

Thanks, Roger, for clarifying.  (At this time of night it's too late for more coffee😁) .   I'll report back on how this all goes but we won't be home until mid November. 

Thanks again! You're such a valuable resource. 

• 2 weeks later...

Could you help me with my plan?

This time I will be in Palma on a Sunday.

I want to go up to the Castell de Belver first: After sightseeing there, I plan to go into town to visit either the Palau March or the Palau Aimans. Back to the ship.

How can this be done most conveniently with public transportation? I do not mind to walk a bit, but would prefer not to walk all this, up the hill, to town and so on.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:38 PM, roger b said:

Absolutely  a beach day no fears here ,I will be on the beach myself temperature should be 75/80 degrees and the sea temperature around 23 degrees. 

We are going late September and would also just like a lazy beach day.  This is our last port after a week long cruise of lots of sight seeing.  We just want to relax.  What would be your best recommendation for a beach day?  Is late September too cold?

9 hours ago, carlmm said:

Could you help me with my plan?

This time I will be in Palma on a Sunday.

I want to go up to the Castell de Belver first: After sightseeing there, I plan to go into town to visit either the Palau March or the Palau Aimans. Back to the ship.

How can this be done most conveniently with public transportation? I do not mind to walk a bit, but would prefer not to walk all this, up the hill, to town and so on.

Hi , this is an easy one get the hop on hop off bus from the port or if your ship docks at the furthest quay get the shuttle  to the town ans get on there .

It will take you to all the stops you are looking for.

https://city-sightseeing.com/en/25/palma-de-mallorca?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=ads-mallorca-en&utm_content=mallorca_city_english&utm_term=mallorca&gclid=CjwKCAjw9suYBhBIEiwA7iMhNKpC7w7eNg4hAE6QoYBDl-xtzJ8S0uP3rqUGaES9BNE72cDXzZNHMxoCXhwQAvD_BwE

Roger

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ugagrad97 said:

We are going late September and would also just like a lazy beach day.  This is our last port after a week long cruise of lots of sight seeing.  We just want to relax.  What would be your best recommendation for a beach day?  Is late September too cold?

Hi, if you look back at the posts in this thread  you will find details of all the nearest beaches to the port and how to get there .

My recommendation is 

https://balnearioilletas.com/en/?gclid=CjwKCAjw9suYBhBIEiwA7iMhNIH-lf-xU-nnNqJ19dKOTet9RIrF-xU5eR5R2t58K31mTsNKBEoV5hoCwcgQAvD_BwE

It will definitely not be cold the sea temperature is 28 degrees at the moment  and I don'texpect it to drop that much by then 

Roger

Edited by roger b
Missed something

12 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi , this is an easy one get the hop on hop off bus from the port or if your ship docks at the furthest quay get the shuttle  to the town ans get on there .

https://city-sightseeing.com/en/25/palma-de-mallorca?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=ads-mallorca-en&utm_content=mallorca_city_english&utm_term=mallorca&gclid=CjwKCAjw9suYBhBIEiwA7iMhNKpC7w7eNg4hAE6QoYBDl-xtzJ8S0uP3rqUGaES9BNE72cDXzZNHMxoCXhwQAvD_BwE

Roger

Thank you, Roger!

We will be in Palma from 1 pm to 8 pm on Saturday, October 1 on the NCL Epic. My husband loves scenery and trains and stuff like that, so we want to go to Soller/Port de Soller.

It seems pretty much impossible to catch the 1:30 pm train, so we would need to take the 3:10 pm. That would put us in Soller at 4:10 pm. We could spend 20 minutes in Soller and catch the 4:30 pm tram to Port de Soller, arriving 5 pm. That would give us 30 minutes in Port de Soller. We would have to catch the 5:30 pm tram to Soller, arriving 6 pm and giving us another 30 minutes in Soller before the 6:30 pm train back to Palma, arriving 7:30 pm just in time to catch a cab back to the ship for an 8 pm departure.

Is this too tight of a timeline? We would basically be going for the scenery we would see on the train and the tram. Is it worth it?

2 hours ago, anonmom said:

We will be in Palma from 1 pm to 8 pm on Saturday, October 1 on the NCL Epic. My husband loves scenery and trains and stuff like that, so we want to go to Soller/Port de Soller.

It seems pretty much impossible to catch the 1:30 pm train, so we would need to take the 3:10 pm. That would put us in Soller at 4:10 pm. We could spend 20 minutes in Soller and catch the 4:30 pm tram to Port de Soller, arriving 5 pm. That would give us 30 minutes in Port de Soller. We would have to catch the 5:30 pm tram to Soller, arriving 6 pm and giving us another 30 minutes in Soller before the 6:30 pm train back to Palma, arriving 7:30 pm just in time to catch a cab back to the ship for an 8 pm departure.

Is this too tight of a timeline? We would basically be going for the scenery we would see on the train and the tram. Is it worth it?

Yes this is too tight for the return,  take a taxi to Soller from the ship to Port de Soller you shoud be there around 2.30 pm ? Then 3.30 tram to Soller then 6.00 train back to Palma should give just time to get back to the ship. 

You only need the train ride one way.

I would check  that there is a 6pm train soon as is says on the web site check  with box office!!

Personally  I like to be back on the ship at least east one hour before sailing !! Roger

2 hours ago, roger b said:

take a taxi to Soller from the ship to Port de Soller you shoud be there around 2.30 pm ? 

Thanks for the reply! About how much would a taxi cost? I don't really want to spend a lot on transportation

On 2/25/2020 at 2:19 AM, SKSMIKE5 said:

We will be in Palma de Mallorca in Nov 2020 and on a Monday. I was looking at the Hop-on-Hop-off bus information and am trying to be sure the bus runs on Mondays in November. Maybe Roger can verify for me. Thanks! 

Around 45/ 50 eu the train and tram would be 54 eu if you want  get the bus back  its only 35 mins and 9 eu look back in this thread for details  Roger

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2022 at 12:44 AM, roger b said:

Roger

Upon further reading, I see that the opening time of the place I would like to visit are rather short on Sundays, thus careful planning is more crucial. Do you have a time schedule for the hop on hop off bus or do you know where I can find one?

9 hours ago, carlmm said:

Upon further reading, I see that the opening time of the place I would like to visit are rather short on Sundays, thus careful planning is more crucial. Do you have a time schedule for the hop on hop off bus or do you know where I can find one?

There no set time table  it runs every 30 mins and the whole route takes 1hr 30 mins .

https://www.viator.com/tours/Mallorca/City-Sightseeing-Palma-de-Mallorca-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Tour/d955-2916PALMA

Wow and wow.  I wish every city had a thread like this!  SO helpful!

Will be arriving Friday October 21 9a,-11pm on MSC Grandiosa, so pretty sure docking at the newer terminal.  

Is it doable to do the Train/Tram to Soller and back AND the Drach caves?  If not, we will focus on Soller, but want to add in Sa Calobra.  I see a local tour group that does this tour, but they don't do it on Fridays, but it seems pretty easy to do DIY.  

Taxi/Bus to Train Station, 1st or 2nd Train to Soller, spend some time there....Tram to Soller Port, and once there, I believe can get boat to Sa Calobra and back.  Then either taxi or Tram & Train back.

What am I missing?

Also, Roger, lunch is on me - where should we meet you for lunch? (I'm serious)

9 hours ago, douggw said:

Wow and wow.  I wish every city had a thread like this!  SO helpful!

Will be arriving Friday October 21 9a,-11pm on MSC Grandiosa, so pretty sure docking at the newer terminal.  

Is it doable to do the Train/Tram to Soller and back AND the Drach caves?  If not, we will focus on Soller, but want to add in Sa Calobra.  I see a local tour group that does this tour, but they don't do it on Fridays, but it seems pretty easy to do DIY.  

Taxi/Bus to Train Station, 1st or 2nd Train to Soller, spend some time there....Tram to Soller Port, and once there, I believe can get boat to Sa Calobra and back.  Then either taxi or Tram & Train back.

What am I missing?

Also, Roger, lunch is on me - where should we meet you for lunch? (I'm serious)

Hi Doug , You have a plenty of time ashore which is unusual ,I don't think you will be able to do Soller and the Caves of Drach as it would mean you having to return to Palma and a one hour  ride each way.

The boat trip to Sa Calobra is feasible ,I have never done it you would have time , but there is nothing there except a one hour boat trip each way.

I have been to Sa Calobra by road stayed about 5 mins and returned !!Just a unusual rock formation and a boat ride along a mountainous shore line. 

Don't let me put you off this if the sea is calm go for it .

If you have never been to Palma I would Get the 10.30 train to Soller Look around this typical Majorcan Village then get the tram to P de Soller .

Make your way back to Palma and spend the rest of the day there ,My other idea is after P de Soller get a bus or taxi to Valdermossa and see the place Chopin spent the winter this would also take you through the Village of Deia which is stunning .

Many thanks for your lunch offer but Its My anniversary and I am out with friends ,if you need anything else , let me know. 

Roger

On 9/18/2022 at 2:39 AM, roger b said:

Hi Doug , You have a plenty of time ashore which is unusual ,I don't think you will be able to do Soller and the Caves of Drach as it would mean you having to return to Palma and a one hour  ride each way.

The boat trip to Sa Calobra is feasible ,I have never done it you would have time , but there is nothing there except a one hour boat trip each way.

I have been to Sa Calobra by road stayed about 5 mins and returned !!Just a unusual rock formation and a boat ride along a mountainous shore line. 

Don't let me put you off this if the sea is calm go for it .

If you have never been to Palma I would Get the 10.30 train to Soller Look around this typical Majorcan Village then get the tram to P de Soller .

Make your way back to Palma and spend the rest of the day there ,My other idea is after P de Soller get a bus or taxi to Valdermossa and see the place Chopin spent the winter this would also take you through the Village of Deia which is stunning .

Many thanks for your lunch offer but Its My anniversary and I am out with friends ,if you need anything else , let me know. 

Roger

Thanks so much for your honest description of Sa Calobra.......puts in perspective!  I also thought that is a lot of time to be in port.  I do like your idea of going to Valdermossa instead.  Thank you so much for your help!  You are amazing.  And if your lunch plans change, let me know!  🙂

Hello Roger:

First, thank you for all your insights!

My husband and I will be in Barcelona mid April and are thinking of traveling to Mallorca for a few days.

Can you tell me if it will be too quiet.  Will tours still be operating, restaurants open, etc?

Appreciate you assistance!