Children Aboard?

luv2shop2008

In April, my Husband and I will be cruising on the Regatta in the South Pacific .  My Sister will be joining us with her daughter and two grandchildren, aged 8 and 10.  They are extremely well behaved (but still kiddos) so I'm not worried about their manners in the dining rooms or shows.  My question is whether you think they will be bored silly?  We plan to bring plenty of activities & games for the sea days and i know they will enjoy the ports and beaches.  I'm assuming they will be the only youngsters aboard.

It's true that there aren't generally programs for youngsters on board -- the one possible exception is a few cruises where it is specified that children are welcome.  I think these tend to be on some selected Alaska and perhaps New England cruises.  Definitely not the South Pacific!

But it sounds as if you have made appropriate plans for their entertainment.

They probably will be the only children on board if it's the South Pacific.  I believe that you are more likely to see other children on board at vacation times.  Say, Christmas holidays in the Caribbean.

I have occasionally seen children of crew members on board, but they tended to be either older or much younger than your young relatives.

Mura

• Like 2

Unfortunately there are very few spaces for children to play. Although the crew may appreciate their normal activity, guests are used to quiet.  Not saying don't bring them just saying be prepared. Some guests will appreciate the joy of having children around.  If this is a port intensive cruise it may be better because their is less "confined" time.

• Like 1

We were on the Marina this past January in the South Pacific and there were more children on that particular cruise than any of the other cruises on Oceania we have been on to date. I think that area draws a different age group that the normal Oceania cruises. There were a couple of babies not walking, toddlers, and what I would call elementary age. Overall I would say about 20 children. But that is a bigger ship so it may be different for your cruise. However as mentioned there were not any children's activities. Julia

We were on a cruise several years ago where one young couple had a couple of children.  While there weren't any children activities aboard, the parents did things on their own in the ports and really involved their kids.  As are the OP's  grandniece and grandnephew, they were very well behaved and seemed to get along well in a generally adult world.  The other passengers, or at least we and some of the others, went out of their way to talk to the children and involve them as best they could.  Oceania is definitely not Disney, but with planning this should be a very memorable trip for the children.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, luv2shop2008 said:

In April, my Husband and I will be cruising on the Regatta in the South Pacific .  My Sister will be joining us with her daughter and two grandchildren, aged 8 and 10.  They are extremely well behaved (but still kiddos) so I'm not worried about their manners in the dining rooms or shows.  My question is whether you think they will be bored silly?  We plan to bring plenty of activities & games for the sea days and i know they will enjoy the ports and beaches.  I'm assuming they will be the only youngsters aboard.

Though the line does not really cater much for kids..this will be YOUR job! It will be up to you to keep them entertained. In some cases the line may restrict children of a certain age from cruising, so be sure you check this out thoroughly.

Edited by keithm
additions

3 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

There were two pre- or early-teenaged girls on our last cruise aboard Sirena earlier this year. During the day, they mostly lounged around the pool and read books. They were very well behaved and polite, but they appeared to be painfully bored.

I think my grands, ages 4 to 8, would be bored.  But with lots of ports and plans from parents and grands, hopefully it will work well.

• Like 1

It does depend on the child.  I'm pretty sure that I would have loved such an experience at a young age.  Probably not 4, though!

My mother took me to my first ballet (the Bolshoi) and first Shakespeare (the Old Vic's Hamlet) when I was a little older, about 11, and I loved both.  She actually took me out of school for the occasions because she felt it was more important for me to see these art forms than it was to spend a day in school.  I'm glad the principal didn't know ...

(She never considered doing the same for my younger sister because it would have been a waste.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, luv2shop2008 said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  Of course, we are very much taking the responsibility to entertain them as OUR responsibility.  

Being in the South Pacific should afford great weather for pool time which usually results in a good night's sleep for everyone!  The sports deck should also offer some activity for them.

Our kids always enjoyed collecting foreign currency/coins.  Even played checkers/board games with different nationalities.  Of course there are maps of the islands that they might color.

The fact that you all are preparing now will be to the advantage of your entire family.  Have a wonderful cruise.  You will be creating memories for a lifetime.

-Katie

50 minutes ago, KatieBelle said:

The fact that you all are preparing now will be to the advantage of your entire family.

When I first read this I relaxed.  They are preparing perfectly.  IMneverHO of course 🙂

2 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

Being in the South Pacific should afford great weather for pool time which usually results in a good night's sleep for everyone!  The sports deck should also offer some activity for them.

Our kids always enjoyed collecting foreign currency/coins.  Even played checkers/board games with different nationalities.  Of course there are maps of the islands that they might color.

The fact that you all are preparing now will be to the advantage of your entire family.  Have a wonderful cruise.  You will be creating memories for a lifetime.

-Katie

Good idea with the coins and maps of the islands.  We also have games we’ll bring along and they love the pool and beaches so I’m confident they will do well.  

I’m sure there are some who May feel kids don’t belong on Oceania, but with our own children as well as with these two nieces we’re confident they will behave and not cause any undue disruptions.  And if Oceania didn’t twang kids aboard they wouldn’t have let us book them.  🙂

Once again, I really appreciate the recommendations and support.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mura said:

It does depend on the child.  I'm pretty sure that I would have loved such an experience at a young age.  Probably not 4, though!

My mother took me to my first ballet (the Bolshoi) and first Shakespeare (the Old Vic's Hamlet) when I was a little older, about 11, and I loved both.  She actually took me out of school for the occasions because she felt it was more important for me to see these art forms than it was to spend a day in school.  I'm glad the principal didn't know ...

(She never considered doing the same for my younger sister because it would have been a waste.)

Not a good thing to compare.  Ballet 2 to 3 hours, cruise could be a couple of weeks.  Can't just walk out at the end of the day if the kids  don't like it. 

last summer we were told there were 40 kids onboard

I  only counted 10 and none seemed to be disruptive  or bored

Some people will just try to make more out of situations than need be

Enjoy the time with your family 

you seem to have things in hand to keep them occupied

JMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Not a good thing to compare.  Ballet 2 to 3 hours, cruise could be a couple of weeks.  Can't just walk out at the end of the day if the kids  don't like it. 

Not trying to compare them at all.  Of course they are totally different.  But I was always interested in cultural things and travel.  I was simply trying to illustrate that there are children even of a young age who would love a cruise, and others who would NOT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mura said:

Not trying to compare them at all.  Of course they are totally different.  But I was always interested in cultural things and travel.  I was simply trying to illustrate that there are children even of a young age who would love a cruise, and others who would NOT.

7 hours ago, Mura said:

You are right in there are a lot of children who would love a cruise, but there are many cruise ships that cater to kids.  All sort of activities for them. Why would someone take them on a ship that has nothing for them to do?  Almost does not seem fair for the children.

We took our 4 year old grandson and his parents on an Alaska cruise last summer. He absolutely loved it and still asks me if he can go back on the big boat with us again.  So, we are now looking into a Caribbean cruise for when he is 5. It was on a HAL ship and we didn't use the kids center at all with him. He is shy and goes to restaurants all the time with his parents.  Quieter than us adults at the table! ha!  I really think it all depends on the child. We are looking into Regent, Oceania  or perhaps Seabourn.  Celebrity?  Something with better food than HAL! He will have 4 adults entertaining him!

Edited by carollouise

Would I take just any child on an Oceania cruise?  No, absolutely not.  I don't have to worry about it since we don't have children, let along grandchildren.  Even the grandnieces and -nephews are adults now.

But I'll go back to my point first:  it depends on the child.  I'd have loved a cruise around Baltics, Norway, western Europe as a youngster.  I'd have disliked the Caribbean as a child as much as I do now.

It sounds to me like Carollouise's grandson is more like me as I was as a child than those who'd be bored to tears.

Don't be me wrong:  I'm one who also advises people to take their children or grandchildren on a ship that has a program for them.  We were very impressed with programs we saw on NCL and the QE2 in years past.  And while I'd be very unhappy to see a troublesome child on an Oceania cruise, I'm fine with the well behaved ones.  And some of them do still exist.  The only ones I've seen on Oceania have indeed been beautifully behaved ... sometimes better behaved than some adults.

Mura