New ship

The Bullingdon Club

13 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

You beat me to it. I had thought it was Micky Arrison that said it, but I think you're right.

From the excerpts of the ceremony that I have seen, Mr. Arrison didn't make a speech.  In a previous discussion I transcribed the exact words spoken by Peter Shanks. Of course, I can't find that posting now. (The search feature as usual doesn't help me.) So I will quote Mr. Shanks again.

"The essence of this ship belongs to one person: the person for it is named. This, Your Majesty, as we approach  your Diamond Jubilee celebrations, is without doubt your ship."

I would love to see the entire ceremony, which appears to be unavailable. There are several videos available on that well-known Internet site. Some of them claim to have the entire ceremony, but they do not.

There was never a doubt in my head that she would be Anne. Of the six undisputed queens regnant, it was the only name not currently represented, and--other than for hardcore history fans like us--the "ia" names have little or no frame of reference for their client base. The population who will remember those ships let alone have sailed aboard is shrinking fast. I really hope they never resort in future to having two ships at the same time with only a numeric difference... it would remind me of the Circle Line.

I also think I would not read too much into style choices such as the all-caps typeface on the name just yet, even though it does represent a return to the original 1930s Queens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shiftynj said:

There was never a doubt in my head that she would be Anne. Of the six undisputed queens regnant, it was the only name not currently represented, and--other than for hardcore history fans like us--the "ia" names have little or no frame of reference for their client base. The population who will remember those ships let alone have sailed aboard is shrinking fast. I really hope they never resort in future to having two ships at the same time with only a numeric difference... it would remind me of the Circle Line.

I also think I would not read too much into style choices such as the all-caps typeface on the name just yet, even though it does represent a return to the original 1930s Queens. 

I rather liked the "-ia" references to mythology, but I suppose if I want to pick ship names, I have to start my own line. Probably not going to happen with the size of my retirement funds.

That is, however, beside the point from what I meant to say: Of the six undisputed queens regnant, one is limited to four names if numerical indicators are not to be included (agree with you - I would detest having a Queen Mary 1 and Queen Mary 2 operating simultaneously). So, if Cunard chooses to bring on another ship before retiring any of these four, they are going to have a problem with the naming convention.

1 hour ago, ExArkie said:

I rather liked the "-ia" references to mythology, but I suppose if I want to pick ship names, I have to start my own line. Probably not going to happen with the size of my retirement funds.

That is, however, beside the point from what I meant to say: Of the six undisputed queens regnant, one is limited to four names if numerical indicators are not to be included (agree with you - I would detest having a Queen Mary 1 and Queen Mary 2 operating simultaneously). So, if Cunard chooses to bring on another ship before retiring any of these four, they are going to have a problem with the naming convention.

Other than tradition, what's stopping them from not using 'Queen' in a name?

1 hour ago, jimbo1683 said:

I think it is "brand identity".   Since Cunard is chasing the mass market much more than in the past, using "Queen" helps to identify, and sell themselves, to the mass market better than would "...ia" or the more remote "...ic".

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 12:37 AM, deck chair said:

Hello:

It's nice to read all these comments about the name of the new ship.  It's clear from the drawings that she is not going to have a proper promenade deck so it matters not at all to me and no doubt many others what the name is.  This is not a ship I will be sailing on without that important feature.  All the best.

Deck Chair.  (40 plus sailings on the Queen Mary 2.)

IMG_7724.jpg

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8111.jpg

I haven't seen any drawings for this new ship and so I, and my Husband, are disappointed to find out that she will not have a Prom deck.  We love walking around the Prom deck (on ships that have them) and love sitting for hours watching the sea from one of the chairs.  If Queen Anne is not going to have one then she will not be top of our list to sail on regularly. A great shame. 

Why on earth nearly all the cruise lines nowadays seem to think we all want endless nightclub-type atmospheres, modern interiors, no Prom deck, no Formal nights, etc etc etc God only knows.  I know that small ships do exist with some cruise lines, but wouldn't it be more sensible for some of the larger cruise lines to have both large ships, mid-size ships, and small ships so that they are catering for all different types of passengers?  Surely they would bring in more money that way.

My Husband and I are lamenting the loss of the 'old' ways, so sad. 😔

• Like 1

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

"...ia" or the more remote "...ic"

Don't you wonder if Cunard were to name a ship Titanic it would sell rather well, especially if it were more QM2 than QA in design?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Puss said:

I haven't seen any drawings for this new ship and so I, and my Husband, are disappointed to find out that she will not have a Prom deck.  We love walking around the Prom deck (on ships that have them) and love sitting for hours watching the sea from one of the chairs.  If Queen Anne is not going to have one then she will not be top of our list to sail on regularly. A great shame. 

Why on earth nearly all the cruise lines nowadays seem to think we all want endless nightclub-type atmospheres, modern interiors, no Prom deck, no Formal nights, etc etc etc God only knows.  I know that small ships do exist with some cruise lines, but wouldn't it be more sensible for some of the larger cruise lines to have both large ships, mid-size ships, and small ships so that they are catering for all different types of passengers?  Surely they would bring in more money that way.

It's the "one size fits all" approach of modern management --make it cheaply, sell it at low cost, sell it for smaller mark-up, but sell enough of it to make money.   After all, there are far more people who are interested in glitz and (apparent) low cost than in quality.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It's the "one size fits all" approach of modern management --make it cheaply, sell it at low cost, sell it for smaller mark-up, but sell enough of it to make money.   After all, there are far more people who are interested in glitz and (apparent) low cost than in quality.

Indeed, and the ones like us, who enjoy the more traditional way of cruising, get pushed to the back of the queue. Hopefully there will be enough cruise ships left, with the traditional feel, for us to enjoy! 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cruise Puss said:

One still will have the three true Queens.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

Nothing, I suppose... they used re-Caronia not that long ago (albeit when there were more people around who might remember the previous one). But it might also look odd (again, if only to the handful of us who care) to nave a non-Queen that is larger than two of the extant Queens.

18 hours ago, ExArkie said:

if Cunard chooses to bring on another ship before retiring any of these four, they are going to have a problem with the naming convention.

Well, yes and no.  To me it would have been odd to jump to a non-monarch when you have one queen regnant who was never so honored. But now that she has been, maybe a Charlotte or Alexandra would seem less random.

5 hours ago, Cruise Puss said:

I haven't seen any drawings for this new ship and so I, and my Husband, are disappointed to find out that she will not have a Prom deck. 

If she is in fact going to be mostly a Koningsdam carbon copy there is an outdoor deck that can be used to circumnavigate the ship but it's too narrow for lounge chairs to be set out athwartships.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It's the "one size fits all" approach of modern management 

Whatever Carnival's deficiencies, and some on this board think it is nothing but deficiencies, this is a strange accusation to make against a company that runs QM2, Seabourn, and the Carnival fun ships.

5 hours ago, P2l said:

Don't you wonder if Cunard were to name a ship Titanic it would sell rather well, especially if it were more QM2 than QA in design?

In 2016 we registered our firm interest for sailing on the new Titanic’s maiden voyage.  Even sought out tailors who could supply. There then followed lots of encouraging emails.  Then it died and nothing to date.

42 minutes ago, shiftynj said:

Nothing, I suppose... they used re-Caronia not that long ago (albeit when there were more people around who might remember the previous one). But it might also look odd (again, if only to the handful of us who care) to nave a non-Queen that is larger than two of the extant Queens.

Well, yes and no.  To me it would have been odd to jump to a non-monarch when you have one queen regnant who was never so honored. But now that she has been, maybe a Charlotte or Alexandra would seem less random.

If she is in fact going to be mostly a Koningsdam carbon copy there is an outdoor deck that can be used to circumnavigate the ship but it's too narrow for lounge chairs to be set out athwartships.

Really. If so, at least one could walk around the ship.

I agree with you about the name 'Alexandra'. Would be a great name. I am biased though as it's my name!😁

• Like 1

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think it is "brand identity".   Since Cunard is chasing the mass market much more than in the past, using "Queen" helps to identify, and sell themselves, to the mass market better than would "...ia" or the more remote "...ic".

I agree 100%.  It’s all marketing and what they feel will appeal to the masses and create the perception they are hoping for.  

Where will the new ship be deployed throughout the year?  Before the Pandemic I heard talk that one of the Cunard ships might be deployed to cater for the emerging markets ie. west coast of USA, Japan or Australia.  That was partly happening in Australia before COVID. Will QA be based in Europe?  Will it undertake world voyages?  Presumably only two of the four ships will undertake these?  There seems to be an interest in winter cruises from Southampton based on recent experience.

Any thoughts or inside information?

38 minutes ago, eroller said:

I agree 100%.  It’s all marketing and what they feel will appeal to the masses and create the perception they are hoping for.  

Surely the sensible approach is to make all their brands different enough to appeal to the widest possible range of potential passengers. And isn't this roughly what they do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

In 2016 we registered our firm interest for sailing on the new Titanic’s maiden voyage.  Even sought out tailors who could supply. There then followed lots of encouraging emails.  Then it died and nothing to date.

I think that project was too ambitious - and perhaps a tad misguided? I suspect most guests would prefer modern amenities and would settle for a ship that was similar in spirit, rather than an attempt to make it a near identical copy. But I can claim no expertise.

Olympic might be a less controversial name than Titanic, whilst still maintaining the historical link.

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Surely the sensible approach is to make all their brands different enough to appeal to the widest possible range of potential passengers. And isn't this roughly what they do?

I agree, plus i think they probably don't design entirely for today's market - Queen Anne should i suppose be sailing into the early 2050s if she has a 30 year life. Will tomorrow's Cunarder want exactly the same as today's?

4 hours ago, P2l said:

I think that project was too ambitious - and perhaps a tad misguided? I suspect most guests would prefer modern amenities and would settle for a ship that was similar in spirit, rather than an attempt to make it a near identical copy. But I can claim no expertise.

Yes agree with that. We often look back with our rose tinted specs on and any 'recreation' would do better to keep those specs well and truely on, maintaining the romance rather than the reality

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Just noticed the subtle motif on the gold bars behind the stair case shows a rendition of Queen Anne in a nod to the reliefs the other ships have in their grand lobbys.  The more I look at the renderings the more details are starting to jump out.  Love it. 🙂 

8F951123-C39A-473D-9A67-D91F309EF0C3.jpeg

• Like 2