New ship

The Bullingdon Club

On 2/12/2022 at 5:16 PM, kohl1957 said:

I suppose there are about, oh 10,000 people on the planet (myself included) who would totally relish an authentic, no compromise Edwardian steamship experience.  I love the smell of coal smoke, savour a hot salt water soak in a bathtub "down the hall" and would enjoy an exclusive all-male smoking room and the ladies retiring at the just the right moment to the lounge or writing room. Pork chops for breakfast,  mutton curry for luncheon, a dressing gong and bugle calls for meals, a fish and a fowl course at dinner and evening dress (and white tie and tails, none of that "tuxedo" nonsense) every night, except, of course, on Sunday. And lots of uncluttered deck space without all those darned lifeboats.  

But a "Titanic" with a King's Court, verandas and wifi... forget it.  We pine for past eras and always want to spoil them with selected bits from our own.  

Yes but 10,000 people would fill, what, four voyages? Then what? The other thing is, if the ship was to be authentic, only First Class would be what you describe. How many people's vacation dreams include iron bunk beds and chamber pots (or dorm-style facilities shared with dozens of strangers)?

As I understand it the guy behind that project had a pattern of grand ideas like this that didn't get far. And since he doesn't own the White Star brand the whole thing felt like a bit of a fool's errand.

On 2/12/2022 at 10:43 AM, Cruise Puss said:

Really. If so, at least one could walk around the ship.

I agree with you about the name 'Alexandra'. Would be a great name. I am biased though as it's my name!😁

Yes. When you mentioned it, I took a look and you can definitely go all the way round. It just gets very narrow in places, and is nowhere wide enough to accommodate the traditional row of chairs, while still allowing people to walk or jog.

As luck would have it our QM2 voyage (her inaugural westbound into NYC) was so rough we weren't even allowed outdoors until we were off Cape Cod, so I never really got that experience. We spent more time on our only pleasant sea day up top where the glass panels cut the wind a bit.

3 hours ago, shiftynj said:

Yes. When you mentioned it, I took a look and you can definitely go all the way round. It just gets very narrow in places, and is nowhere wide enough to accommodate the traditional row of chairs, while still allowing people to walk or jog.

As luck would have it our QM2 voyage (her inaugural westbound into NYC) was so rough we weren't even allowed outdoors until we were off Cape Cod, so I never really got that experience. We spent more time on our only pleasant sea day up top where the glass panels cut the wind a bit.

Very interesting to see this video. At least you can get out, even if you can't sit on loungers/chairs. Personally I would prefer being able to get out at this level rather than not, and only having the top decks to get out on and sit. I love being nearer to the sea than being dozens of feet up.

Does anyone know if QA has this, or is there no walk around deck at all?

1 hour ago, kohl1957 said:

But they don't now... I don't know of any such cabins on QM2, QV or QE.  Four Deck on the Vistas (which I prefer) you have a  view over the tops of the boats don't you?.  I think QM2 is the similar. 

The only reason Cunard are doing this is to enable an additional deck of veranda cabins. Period.  It has nothing to do with "new safety regulations", it's putting their earning potential ahead of customer preference.  Their choice.  And mine as a customer to say "no thanks."

They do on my plans. 

Of course Cunard are doing their utmost to increase revenue. That is the point of commercial organisations. All those extra verandah cabins for which they can charge more presumably mean the price is slightly lower than it might have been for everybody. And nobody has only a lifeboat to look at. Perhaps people on the whole might prefer that.

On 2/15/2022 at 12:09 PM, kohl1957 said:

It should be the same arrangement.... it's technically a "walk around" but it's of varying (very) width and in places more like the gangway in a factory. Look at the photos to see how narrow it can get. And those wonderful vistas of the sea, the ocean and the ship underway... forget it.  There will be a bulkhead on one side and a lifeboat on the other. So it's mostly shady and dark.  

My most recent cruise in QM2 showed me how much I value... treasure.... even her traditional (and quite wonderful) proper promenade or boat deck. As I do that in QV and QE.  It's a major part of the enjoyment I derive from a voyage or cruise.  Given how thronged it was by passengers... strolling, walking, jogging, just sitting in proper steamer chairs and enjoying the sea, the spray and the ocean breezes, I am not alone.  Cunard has, with this design, told us to.... get over it. Get lost.  I get the message.  

For this reason, I simply will not be considering QUEEN ANNE for my cruise travel.  It's a firm disqualifier. No thanks.  

I have to say, my Husband and I agree with you.  When we have travelled on any ship with a proper Prom deck it is always busy with people strolling and sitting in chairs enjoying the view so it is obviously popular, even on inclement days, whereas the top deck of certainly P&O's Britannia is not at all busy on inclement days, it's just not the same as a covered Prom deck.

I think it is an extremely sad thing that going forward we are not, as paying passengers, being given the option of a proper Prom deck to wander round and sit out on, just because of a few extra veranda cabins. These cruise lines are building ship after ship, surely they can accommodate both types of ship, and as for such a long standing and prestigious line as Cunard not including such an iconic thing as a Prom deck - unforgivable really. We will try her because I believe you really have to know what is good and what is not to give an informed opinion.  We will have to see whether we like her or not, but I would be very surprised if we like her as much as the others.

31 minutes ago, Cruise Puss said:

I have to say, my Husband and I agree with you.  When we have travelled on any ship with a proper Prom deck it is always busy with people strolling and sitting in chairs enjoying the view so it is obviously popular, even on inclement days, whereas the top deck of certainly P&O's Britannia is not at all busy on inclement days, it's just not the same as a covered Prom deck.

I think it is an extremely sad thing that going forward we are not, as paying passengers, being given the option of a proper Prom deck to wander round and sit out on, just because of a few extra veranda cabins. These cruise lines are building ship after ship, surely they can accommodate both types of ship, and as for such a long standing and prestigious line as Cunard not including such an iconic thing as a Prom deck - unforgivable really. We will try her because I believe you really have to know what is good and what is not to give an informed opinion.  We will have to see whether we like her or not, but I would be very surprised if we like her as much as the others.

As previously stated, it is not such a poor situation for Cunarders, as we still will have three true Queens.  
The new ship’s passenger/space ratio will be interesting to see.  An increase?  One thinks not.

I had an email from Cunard today about my QV voyage and I noticed the QV branding on the bottom of the email reflects the new style of font used on the hull of the Queen Anne.  So it looks like they might be retiring the Cunardia font they use on their publicity material?  (see attached image)

According to the mail (which was announcing the cancellation of my voyage) the QV will be dry docked before returning to service on 5 June 2022.  I wonder if she will get the new hull paint scheme shown on the Queen Anne?

qv-logo.png

6 hours ago, richard_london said:

I had an email from Cunard today about my QV voyage and I noticed the QV branding on the bottom of the email reflects the new style of font used on the hull of the Queen Anne.  So it looks like they might be retiring the Cunardia font they use on their publicity material?  (see attached image)

According to the mail (which was announcing the cancellation of my voyage) the QV will be dry docked before returning to service on 5 June 2022.  I wonder if she will get the new hull paint scheme shown on the Queen Anne?

qv-logo.png

The new hull paint scheme based on QA would theoretically work on QV/QE, however, I have a hard time imagining QM2 sporting the new livery. They would have to raise the dark hull paint color up considerably (up at least three decks) if they intended to change the Cunard red block lettering on the side to the white we see on Queen Anne's renderings. It would also ruin the (albeit fake) sheer line of the ship. I can see them changing out the bow lettering font, but I don't believe they would do much beyond that, at least on Queen Mary 2. 

On 2/17/2022 at 2:19 PM, richard_london said:

No, Queen Anne will be the first for the new hull paint scheme with other ships getting it at following dry docks.

Guest SilverHengroen
1 hour ago, Ray66 said:

Just received an email from Cunard with a link to a video Behind the Name. It is worth listening to.

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/inspiration/queen-anne/behind-the-name#video

The Stuart era is definitely among the most interesting in British history, and Queen Anne no less than any of the preceding members of her house. I do take issue with the revisionism of Queen Mary 2 referring to either Mary I or Mary II though, when she is quite clearly (indirectly) named after Mary of Teck, wife of King George V, whose bust is even right there in the Queens room 🙄

On 2/17/2022 at 8:19 AM, richard_london said:

qv-logo.png

In the category of useless information, a font finder website identifies this new Cunard font as a very close match to the Fontsmith font family "FS Benjamin".

join us next week for another exciting announcement surrounding our fourth ship. We’ll be revealing who has the honour of being named as Queen Anne’s first captain, as well as unveiling a little more about the ship and introducing you to some of the team behind Queen Anne’s journey so far. Keep an eye on your inbox at 1pm on 9 March 2022.

2 hours ago, Ray66 said:

join us next week for another exciting announcement surrounding our fourth ship. We’ll be revealing who has the honour of being named as Queen Anne’s first captain, as well as unveiling a little more about the ship and introducing you to some of the team behind Queen Anne’s journey so far. Keep an eye on your inbox at 1pm on 9 March 2022.

Giving Anne Captain Inger would be quite apt.  

5 hours ago, sogne said:

A FB site has jumped the gun citing International Women's Day 

There's an Australian cruise magazine that's made the announcement as well. It may not be allowed to link to the article here since that site posts cruise deals. But here are a couple quotes.

“I am very proud to be Cunard’s first female captain, but to be named as the first captain of Queen Anne is the greatest honour. It means the absolute world to me to be part of the next chapter of Cunard,” Captain Thorhauge said.

and

"Sharing captain duties on board Queen Anne will be David Hudson who started with Cunard in 2006."

23 hours ago, bluemarble said:

There's an Australian cruise magazine that's made the announcement as well. It may not be allowed to link to the article here since that site posts cruise deals. But here are a couple quotes.

“I am very proud to be Cunard’s first female captain, but to be named as the first captain of Queen Anne is the greatest honour. It means the absolute world to me to be part of the next chapter of Cunard,” Captain Thorhauge said.

It seems like it from the new Cunard video today.