Quick question about packing/carrying on wine

cruzin4us

35 minutes ago, sandyss said:

Super.  Thank you.  We will purchase some Aussie wines before we board.

Depending on where you are staying you might be able to visit a 'Dan Murphy's' store. The prices and the range of wine are both superb. Failing that, there are other large liquor outlets. Maybe 'google' some close to where you will be staying.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pink845 said:

Carry on only. And each adult can bring on a bottle as well!!!  Extra bottles pay that $15 corkage fee but that is much less than a cheap bottle of wine on the ship.

There are no 'cheap' bottles of wine on the ship. 😊 On the Australian cruises, prices start at AUD$42 (if they have it in stock), then $45. This price is what you pay - no 18% gratuity added.

Better to buy the same quality wine for $10 in a liquor store, then pay the $15 corkage.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

If I happen to leave it in my checked luggage, and get called to the naughty room, will I be able to keep it when I prove it is wine?

This happened to the DW last fall on the CB.  We board as early as possible to begin our next vacation and as elite get to go to the front of the line.  We of course bring our wine in a 6 bottle collapsible carrier so it can be flattened and put in a suitcase for the trip home.  We were on the ship unpacking our wine when the Ms diver suddenly remembered she left a bottle in her checked luggage.   My bag came early as always but hers did not come until after muster and just before cast off.  The bag had been opened, checked and closed with the errant bottle safely inside.  I had assumed we would get a corking charge added to our folio but it never showed up.  That is our one time experience. 

5 hours ago, satxdiver said:

This happened to the DW last fall on the CB.  We board as early as possible to begin our next vacation and as elite get to go to the front of the line.  We of course bring our wine in a 6 bottle collapsible carrier so it can be flattened and put in a suitcase for the trip home.  We were on the ship unpacking our wine when the Ms diver suddenly remembered she left a bottle in her checked luggage.   My bag came early as always but hers did not come until after muster and just before cast off.  The bag had been opened, checked and closed with the errant bottle safely inside.  I had assumed we would get a corking charge added to our folio but it never showed up.  That is our one time experience. 

With only one bottle involved, the security officer probably just assumed this was the passenger's permitted one bottle of wine. It probably wasn't worth the bother of contacting her and asking if she had another bottle in her hand luggage when she boarded. If she answered "no" even if she had, how could they prove it. Not worth the bother.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

With only one bottle involved, the security officer probably just assumed this was the passenger's permitted one bottle of wine. It probably wasn't worth the bother of contacting her and asking if she had another bottle in her hand luggage when she boarded. If she answered "no" even if she had, how could they prove it. Not worth the bother.

That was fairly close to my estimation as to what happened.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes, but you would probably have to go ashore to buy your bottle for the second segment.

Not true.  Just bring proof of sailing on the B2B's and they will exempt one bottle per cruise.  The most I have done is B2B2B and my wife and I were exempted six bottles in Port Everglades at check-in and I was assessed for the balance.  

20 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Not true.  Just bring proof of sailing on the B2B's and they will exempt one bottle per cruise.  The most I have done is B2B2B and my wife and I were exempted six bottles in Port Everglades at check-in and I was assessed for the balance.  

That's good to know. I hope it works that way every time.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:02 PM, satxdiver said:

Are you saying the cruise line opened it?  Before I started using TSA locks, we got called to the naughty room where the asked us to open the suitcase, saying they are forbidden from doing so.  They said they had seen something on the scanner - turns out it was my wife's curling iron and a can of aerosol bathroom spray.  The never saw the extra bottles of wine.

30 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

Are you saying the cruise line opened it?  Before I started using TSA locks, we got called to the naughty room where the asked us to open the suitcase, saying they are forbidden from doing so.  They said they had seen something on the scanner - turns out it was my wife's curling iron and a can of aerosol bathroom spray.  The never saw the extra bottles of wine.

It appeared as though it had been opened but the bottle was clearly visible once the suitcase was opened so no need to dig it out.  There was no note as TSA does when inspecting inside luggage at the airport.  However the zippers were not in the same place we leave them.  We put them in the same place and then notice if they have been moved.  They kept the luggage for at least 3 hours before we received it just before early TD at 5:30.  My luggage was in the room before 2 PM.