Quick question about packing/carrying on wine

cruzin4us

I should know the answer to this but I don't.....and try as I might, I can't figure out how to use the search function on this board.  So, quick question:   I want to bring on my free bottle of wine, but I'd rather pack it in my suitcase....is this ok, or do I need to carry it on?

Thanks!!!

Per the boarding pass you are supposed to carry on your wine. I have a wine carrier that fits Up to 12 bottles that I roll on, with much discomfort.

There have been people who will box up their wine and it either makes it to their cabin via Luggage delivery or the naughty room. I feel like others have said it’s been confiscated but  I’ve never experienced any of those scenarios myself because we carry on

EEE31395-C06D-46BF-AD2D-6A87FCCC7834.jpeg

Edited by jennybenny

That would be a big negative unless you want to have your cloths cleaned as soon as you get your baggage.  If you are going to bring your wine carry it on with you.  Your luggage will be thrown every which way and you may have it packed really well but it is the suit case that flies on top of yours that will be the one to break the bottle.  I packed mine in bubble wrap and my beautiful clothes where stain with red wine and my laundry bill cost more than the wine did.  Two years later my son and his fiancé were getting married on the ship and she wanted to bring a bottle of wine but did not want to carry it on.  I told here what happened to be but she would not listen to me so she securely packed a $300 bottle of French wine in her suitcase with her wedding dress and guess what the wedding we all paid to go to did not happen because her white dress was stained with red wine.  That was 10 years ago and they never married all because she did not want to carry the wine on board.  If it is that important to bring, carry it on or leave it at home as there are plenty of very good wines on board.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I should know the answer to this but I don't.....and try as I might, I can't figure out how to use the search function on this board.  So, quick question:   I want to bring on my free bottle of wine, but I'd rather pack it in my suitcase....is this ok, or do I need to carry it on?

Thanks!!!

Carry on.

20 minutes ago, toescat said:

my son and his fiancé were getting married on the ship and she wanted to bring a bottle of wine but did not want to carry it on.  I told here what happened to be but she would not listen to me so she securely packed a $300 bottle of French wine in her suitcase with her wedding dress and guess what the wedding we all paid to go to did not happen because her white dress was stained with red wine.  That was 10 years ago and they never married all because she did not want to carry the wine on board. 

Wow!

1 hour ago, toescat said:

That was 10 years ago and they never married all because she did not want to carry the wine on board.  If it is that important to bring, carry it on or leave it at home as there are plenty of very good wines on board.

Sounds like it was not meant to be -- as horrific as it was, nothing would have stopped us from getting married  (of course, I'm only speaking for me -- I hope and presume my DW  feels the same way)

and of course the only correct answer is to carry it aboard 

2 hours ago, CRUZBUDS said:

Sounds like it was not meant to be -- as horrific as it was, nothing would have stopped us from getting married  (of course, I'm only speaking for me -- I hope and presume my DW  feels the same way)

and of course the only correct answer is to carry it aboard 

We got engaged at a Mothers of Invention concert. (Hah! Bet nobody can top that!) When we got married my wife-to-be handed me a note. I asked what it was and she said it was her vows. D'Oh! I had forgotten to write mine. (Hey, I was 19 and an idiot.) Somewhere there is a picture of me with a note and a glass of champagne in one hand and the other hand on my forehead going "D'Oh!". I had to ad lib my vows. Apparently they "worked" as we have been married for 47 years and counting. (I'm no longer 19 but probably still an idiot.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We got engaged at a Mothers of Invention concert. (Hah! Bet nobody can top that!) When we got married my wife-to-be handed me a note. I asked what it was and she said it was her vows. D'Oh! I had forgotten to write mine. (Hey, I was 19 and an idiot.) Somewhere there is a picture of me with a note and a glass of champagne in one hand and the other hand on my forehead going "D'Oh!". I had to ad lib my vows. Apparently they "worked" as we have been married for 47 years and counting. (I'm no longer 19 but probably still an idiot.)

You’re probably right Thrak, nobody can top that. 

1. I saw a post on this board about a wine holder that has a liner that will absorb 750 ML of liquid.  I want to get these, even for my carry on, which will be loaded into the hotel van,  but cannot find the thread.  They can also be used to package shampoo, etc. Can someone help?

2 hours ago, MixerDave said:
  1. I saw a post on this board about a wine holder that has a liner that will absorb 750 ML of liquid.  I want to get these, even for my carry on, which will be loaded into the hotel van,  but cannot find the thread.  They can also be used to package shampoo, etc. Can someone help?

Amazon has it on their website...search for wine carriers...tried  to copy and paste but did not work....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, toescat said:

That would be a big negative unless you want to have your cloths cleaned as soon as you get your baggage.  If you are going to bring your wine carry it on with you.  Your luggage will be thrown every which way and you may have it packed really well but it is the suit case that flies on top of yours that will be the one to break the bottle.  I packed mine in bubble wrap and my beautiful clothes where stain with red wine and my laundry bill cost more than the wine did.  Two years later my son and his fiancé were getting married on the ship and she wanted to bring a bottle of wine but did not want to carry it on.  I told here what happened to be but she would not listen to me so she securely packed a $300 bottle of French wine in her suitcase with her wedding dress and guess what the wedding we all paid to go to did not happen because her white dress was stained with red wine.  That was 10 years ago and they never married all because she did not want to carry the wine on board.  If it is that important to bring, carry it on or leave it at home as there are plenty of very good wines on board.

Maybe it was good that it happened. Someone who did not get married just because the wedding gown was ruined is not someone to marry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tailspintom said:

Must have been a necessity.

Ouch. I have a friend with that sort of sense of humor. I save every bad pun or joke and tell them to her the next time we all get together.

5 hours ago, MixerDave said:

Possibly these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIT9HM2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon, U-Haul, BevMo and other shipping stores have wine shipping boxes that come in 1 - 12 bottle sizes.  These can be checked or carried on.  I've used 2 bottle inserts (without the box) in checked and carry-on - packing tape to keep them closed or just made room in the suitcase for the inserts in their box.   

I usually just strap a regular case box to a collapsible 2 wheel hand truck and put carry on luggage on top.

Edited by Ferd Berfle

5 hours ago, MixerDave said:

Other than saving the clothes in the bag, I don't see the point as the wine is lost, no?  Best to carry it on board.  I have a compact dolly if needed for long voyages.  It worked well for two cases once.  I am thinking I will turn over a carry-on to the porters at PE this November in order to better manage my wine.  Only taking 4-5 bottles on this time and we are using only two carry-ons for a 10-nighter.

2 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Other than saving the clothes in the bag, I don't see the point as the wine is lost, no?  Best to carry it on board.  I have a compact dolly if needed for long voyages.  It worked well for two cases once.  I am thinking I will turn over a carry-on to the porters at PE this November in order to better manage my wine.  Only taking 4-5 bottles on this time and we are using only two carry-ons for a 10-nighter.

I have flights to be concerned with

11 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

I have flights to be concerned with

Ahh... I see.  (I always buy my wine in the departure port city (e.g. Total Wine in FL).  You could consider transferring it out on arrival.  It seems bags get rougher treatment potentially at the port.  I have checked liquid in bottles with airlines and not had an issue.  

We have used the bags I linked above to transport wine in our airline luggage. We take the wine out and transfer it to our carry on luggage before boarding the ship. If possible, we prefer to purchase wine in the departure port.