Pacemakers-Ocean Medallion

pcee1548

I have a pacemaker and had no problem at all with ocean medallion.  I checked with my cardiologist and he said it would not be a problem.  I then called medtronic's and they confirmed not a issue.  I would check with your cardiologist to confirm.  Also if you do a search on this forum there is a few long threads about pacemakers and the medallion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pcee1548 said:

This may not be a new subject, but I have not seen a definite answer.  The question is, does the Ocean Medallion affect pacemakers?  It would be nice to be certain one way or the other.

As others have said, ask your physician.

From Medtronic's website:

...[T]here is a small magnetically activated switch built into the electronics of pacemakers and implantable defibrillators. This internal switch is designed to close when a magnet of enough strength is placed over it...

https://www.medtronic.com/us-en/patients/electromagnetic-guide/frequently-asked-questions.html

I am not a physician.  Ask yours.

8 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yes the recommendation is to keep it away from the PM in a pants pocket etc. 

Have observed many coming through security mentioning that they have a PM. 
My son has a PM and was advised by the mfg to keep it away and in a pants pocket etc,

Thank you for sharing this very important information.

On 10/27/2019 at 8:48 AM, pcee1548 said:

The question is, does the Ocean Medallion affect pacemakers? 

Have been on three Medallion cruises with no ill effects to my pacemaker.  I do not wear the Medallion on the furnished lanyard, either in my pocket, or hooked to my belt.  Some times, in my back pocket, it won't unlock the cabin door. Oh, and they are waterproof.

Edited by KreinKrunker

Thank you @pcee1548 for this very important question.  As suggested by @Haboob @franktown and @Husky61 the OceanMedallion includes magnets and radio frequency (RF) technology that have been designed and manufactured to meet RF requirements set by the Federal Communications Commission of the United States. The levels of RF energy are similar to those found in many consumer devices. Every device differs, so as suggested by you should check directly with your device manufacturer and physician for guidance.

I'll be requesting cruise cards after we board. I always wear my card around my neck for convenience. I don't usually have pockets or belts. I keep picturing giving dh a hug without thinking about a magnet hanging around my neck. Ugh.

On his side, I 'could' see him keeping it in a pocket, but he has a rfid wrist band he plans on using, but it won't stop a magnetic effect. With him I see him pounding his pacemaker, (motion activated to pick up pace), and having that magnet on the wrist of the hand he's pounding with. Ugh.

I simply prefer to have the cards and not spend my vacation worrying about magnets. Keep life simple.

• Like 3

I also have a pacemaker and after doing some research on whether or not to wear it around my neck, I determined that since it is magnetic I would not wear it.  I keep it in my purse and it works fine for me.   

No reason to take a chance with my pacemaker.  I don't know about keeping it on a wrist band. 

9 hours ago, Haboob said:

To hold them in the wristband holders.

So, if you were carrying the Medallion in the same pocket as your credit cards, there is a chance the medallion could demagnetize the strips on your credit cards?

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

So, if you were carrying the Medallion in the same pocket as your credit cards, there is a chance the medallion could demagnetize the strips on your credit cards?

Mag stripe card?  I would suspect so.  Pardon me if I don't run the experiment.

Chip card?  Not the chip.

• Haha 1