Tag Watches

Edinburghgirl1

2 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

What does it mean? I've never heard that term.

It’s simply resellers of new watches that are not authorized dealers nor do they offer factory warranties. Watches are real but you will not get in store service and resale of high end watches will not hold the value since there is no factory warranty. Prices on the grey market sites can be 25% lower or more on high end watches including AP, Rolex, TAG  Breitling, Panerai ....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

What does it mean? I've never heard that term.

Essentially they are legitimate, non-counterfeit products that are imported into the United States without the authorization of the manufacturer.

It's mostly a thing with electronics. Products are manufactured for distribution and sale in a specific region. For example, I can buy a model of a camera intended for sale in Japan only in the U.S. from a grey market seller and it will cost less. The flipside of that is no warranty or support for the product so if something goes wrong you are basically SOL.

Edited by richg35
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, richg35 said:

Essentially they are legitimate, non-counterfeit products that are imported into the United States without the authorization of the manufacturer.

It's mostly a thing with electronics. Products are manufactured for distribution and sale in a specific region. For example, I can buy a model of a camera intended for sale in Japan only in the U.S. from a grey market seller and it will cost less. The flipside of that is no warranty or support for the product so if something goes wrong you are basically SOL.

This is a good reason to stick with well-established gray-market dealers rather than gamble on eBay or similar outlets. 

At the very least, the Jomashop site gives you the retail prices which may be hard to find elsewhere. I’d feel a little twitchy buying something at the Tag level from the gray market, but have happily purchased several Hamilton and Citizen watches through Jomashop.

4 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Does anyone know if they sell Tag Watches on the Norwegian Jade? Regret not buying a watch on Celebrity Silhouette in March and wondered if I might get it in the Norwegian Jade. 

Be aware and check your on line pricing before purchasing,  go to the internet just outside the ncl store and google the watch your looking at. We did this and found the watch at more  than half Canadian  so i ordered it on line and have it already. The ship has a policy of matching price  but they refueled at this price 

1 hour ago, richg35 said:

I've bought a bunch for Gray Market camera equipment at some of NYCs cameras store, never had a problem and saved a boat load of money. You just need to pay attention to what is covered and what is not

I agree with the above.  As a watch collector the onboard pricing for watches is not usually very good.   

As recommended previously, I've purchased several watches from Jomashop over the years and all have been 100% genuine.  The shipping is fast and free and Jomashop will warranty the watch in lieu of the manufacturer.  If you have any issues during the warranty period you send it to Jomashop and they will repair it for you.  

Jomashop purchases their inventory from authorized dealers who sell to them their older models at dealer cost to make room for the latest releases.   The watches are all brand new, never worn and usually come with the original packaging and manuals less the factory warranty card.  One might ask why the dealers don't just discount the older watches and sell them to the customers themselves... Often the authorized dealers are under agreement with the brands that they represent which prohibits them from selling the watches to customers below MSRP or risk possibly losing their brand authorized dealer status.  So they sell this slow moving inventory to Jomashop at cost minus the warranty cards so that they are not traceable back to the brands.  Jomashop then sells these watches at well below MSRP.   Authentic Watches and Ashford are other online grey market dealers.  Interestingly, Costco is also very much the same for many of the Swiss watches that they carry.  

Edited by Motegi

22 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Already got a Formula 1. The one I want is a Carrera with a diamond bezel and diamonds on mother of Pearl face. On Celebrity was  $2500. In Uk it’s $4913. 

Wait till you’re back in the U.K. and look up Fellows Auctions, otherwise if in the US Vegas is the cheapest, the dealership is in the Venetian, I brought my indi 500 there.

On 10/31/2019 at 7:22 AM, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Does anyone know if they sell Tag Watches on the Norwegian Jade? Regret not buying a watch on Celebrity Silhouette in March and wondered if I might get it in the Norwegian Jade. 

Every NCL ship I hve been on has TAGs BUT beware, you can usually beat the price at home, and if you are going to the Eastern Caribbean you can definitely beat the ship's price in St. Thomas.

My next cruise is on the NCL Jade in Asia end of January which was why I was asking. Flying to Australia with Qatar next Saturday so will try my luck at Duty Free Tag shop in Doha. Not likely to be back in Vegas anytime soon but visiting St Thomas  on a Caribbean  cruise in March 2021. 

On 10/31/2019 at 3:28 PM, pricem67 said:

Jade ends in Hong Kong, which is supposed to be one of the worlds best places to buy a watch and zero tax.

Bought my DH a gold Rolex in Hong Kong years ago and got a very good price. Came with the warranty and never needed service other than a couple of cleanings done at dealers. The dealers all said the the watch was 100 percent authentic.  He prefers wearing his UF Gators watch and mostly kept it in the house safe so DD gave it to DSIL who is a watch aficionado. I would not hesitate to buy a watch in Hong Kong from a dealer.

Mary Ann