I Really Did, I Booked The Grand Again.....

need2cruisesoon

After my last Grand cruise October '16 California Coastal, I swore I would never sail that old bucket again.

Leaky plumbing, uninspiring cruise experience, lousy Lido deck, tiny Atrium and inside cabin parked next to some room with a large fan always running, dark deck hallways that I couldn't even navigate around all the scooters.

Well a buddy of mine and his wife are celebrating a wedding anniversary and he asked us to cruise along so with much trepidation and hand wringing I obliged to book the Pacific NW 7 day journey from SFO. Yup I understand she had a dry dock but I am concerned it';s not enough to erase memories of me earlier cruise and so I embark on this 7 day tour with no expectations other to have fun with our friends.

Wish me luck....

DSC02933.jpg

DSC02761.jpg

DSC02660.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We liked Grand in 2012 even after sailing on newer Caribbean and Ruby.

One thing she has that newer ships miss (except for Majestic) is indoor pool.

Also we liked mini-golf.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, need2cruisesoon said:

it';s not enough to erase memories of me earlier cruise and so I embark on this 7 day tour with no expectations other to have fun with our friends.

Wish me luck....

that might last until you board ..:classic_cool: .. and you are not happy with the very first thing, either new or just a repeat of the previous cruise(s)

did you express to your friends that you had previously sailed on the rust bucket and did they have any alternatives to that ship ??

luck ? well, that doesn't seem to come into play in this situation going in ...

I hope you'll be pleased, the dry dock in Spring of '19 really did bring a number of improvements and spiffing up.  We were on her both just before (quite tired) and just after (quite transformed).  Perhaps I can say no more than - we're booked on Grand once again in February next year.  

• Like 2

We just got off the Grand just this past Sunday, November 3rd.  We had a great time; one of the better cruises we have been on.  While I guess there could be some more updating, it seems they already have done at least some. There was a large, flat-screened TV (it seemed pretty new) in the room that had a lot of interactive features.  As a whole, the ship seemed older, but decently maintained. 

I realize that food can be pretty subjective, but we thought it was very good in both the MDR, the specialty restaurants and the International Café.  We never made it to the buffet, so I can't comment on that. Service throughout the ship was very good as well; room steward, waiters, bar staff and guest services were all polite , professional and very helpful.

The entertainment and activities were fun and varied.  Cruise director Kevin Tugwell and the rest of his staff were great seemingly everywhere all the time.  We think they were among the best we have ever met on a cruise!

One downside was spotty internet, that was more of my wife's issue than mine; I'm usually busy at the bars and singing karaoke. LOL!  When I have more time I will try to put out a more detailed review.  Have fun on your cruise! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I, too, had some trepidation about going on the Grand (as my kids who got married in 1999 went on their honeymoon cruise on her), but ended up with a Window Suite(we went on the first cruise after her recent drydock), and had a fantastic time on her.  Especially after 10 previous cruises, the crew was fantastic and food was decent.  I was able to book a WS guarantee on her for our cruise in June, 2021, and this means I might have a good chance at getting a suite.  Never saw WS guarantees before.  I am a little concerned about how old she will be then, but had such a good time on her, I am booked and ready for another trip!

Pooh