Southampton - arriving on foot

Adegb

We have our first ever cruise booked for next August on Iona from Southampton so we are finding the posts in this forum really useful.

We've read lots about arrangements for arriving by car, however, one thing we haven't been able to find is arrangements for arriving to the port on foot.

We have booked the nearby Holiday Inn, including parking, for the night before.

From what I can tell, the entrance to the port is less than a mile away so planned on walking over rather than taking the transfer that's included in the hotel booking.  

Not knowing the layout or set up of the port, is this possible?

Thanks

Edited by Adegb

15 minutes ago, Adegb said:

We have our first ever cruise booked for next August on Iona from Southampton so we are finding the posts in this forum really useful.

We've read lots about arrangements for arriving by car, however, one thing we haven't been able to find is arrangements for arriving to the port on foot.

From what I can tell, the entrance to the port is less than a mile away so planned on walking over rather than taking the transfer that's included in the hotel booking.  

Thanks

Royal Caribbean use City Terminal which is a few minutes walk from Holiday Inn but P&O use oceon terminal

20 minutes walk away.

A taxi costs £5 

Edited by grapau27

10 minutes ago, Adegb said:

Thanks

Iona will be leaving from Ocean Terminal so if I were you with luggage I'd take advantage of the free shuttle

Thanks for the replies, 

As I say transfers (two way) are included in the hotel booking so no need to pay for a taxi.

I was working on about a 20 minute walk, based on an average walking speed of 3 miles per hour but quite happy to do that, assuming that it's possible.

3 minutes ago, Adegb said:

Thanks for the replies, 

As I say transfers (two way) are included in the hotel booking so no need to pay for a taxi.

I was working on about a 20 minute walk, based on an average walking speed of 3 miles per hour but quite happy to do that, assuming that it's possible.

If you fancy a walk then walk to WestQuay shopping centre in the morning,we do and get a lovely Italian breakfast in Carluccios and a walk around the shops.

You can then walk back to the hotel and take your free shuttle to the terminal with your cases.

• Like 1

We had the free shuttle from Holiday inn reception books a taxi for you want in lobby ,until taxi arrives. On return you were given a phone number to ring they have your mobile number and text you the car registration so you can see which is your taxi, which arrived with in minutes. 

Great service

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Royal Caribbean use City Terminal which is a few minutes walk from Holiday Inn but P&O use oceon terminal

20 minutes walk away.

A taxi costs £5 

Hi,we did the same with Marella in Sept.That rear gate and ship was tantalisingly close,but was closed to the public.We decided to walk.20min mission along a dual carriageway with 4 bags.Remember you're not allowed to hail a taxi nowadays,so once you start walking it's the point of no return,lol.

• Like 1

As others have said, it is doable, but not a very pleasant start to your cruise. 

I regularly see bedraggled passengers dragging their cases along the busy road looking regretful. 

Without cases it wouldn't be so bad as you could detour off the main road along the walls, a pleasant little stroll. 

Have a great time whatever you decide to do. 

Andy 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

As others have said, it is doable, but not a very pleasant start to your cruise. 

I regularly see bedraggled passengers dragging their cases along the busy road looking regretful. 

Without cases it wouldn't be so bad as you could detour off the main road along the walls, a pleasant little stroll. 

Have a great time whatever you decide to do. 

Andy 

Was that you driving past,with your head out laughing at us.

• Haha 1

The tricky part of arriving on foot is getting past the security gate.  I had a cruise booked on Star Clippers but was contacted a couple of days before sailing by the travel agent who said ship was delayed transatlantic and they were introducing a replacement bus and overnight hotel for the first day.  We were instructed to go to gate 4 (or whatever) at the same time and day for the terminal.  It was not clear whether the "bus stop" was the terminal or the gate.  I waited next to the security gate and he came out!  "What are you doing?" " I am waiting for my cruise, it's running a day late and they said come here for the bus"  He checked my documents, ship was not booked for the berth, could not clarify but he let me in eventually at the terminal I found one other passenger but the tricky bit is getting past the gate on foot.  It's a bit unusual and they will investigate that you are bonafide.

Regards John

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, john watson said:

The tricky part of arriving on foot is getting past the security gate.  I had a cruise booked on Star Clippers but was contacted a couple of days before sailing by the travel agent who said ship was delayed transatlantic and they were introducing a replacement bus and overnight hotel for the first day.  We were instructed to go to gate 4 (or whatever) at the same time and day for the terminal.  It was not clear whether the "bus stop" was the terminal or the gate.  I waited next to the security gate and he came out!  "What are you doing?" " I am waiting for my cruise, it's running a day late and they said come here for the bus"  He checked my documents, ship was not booked for the berth, could not clarify but he let me in eventually at the terminal I found one other passenger but the tricky bit is getting past the gate on foot.  It's a bit unusual and they will investigate that you are bonafide.

Regards John

We were ok cos there there were quite a few mugs like us walking along,lol.

I often walk if it's fine because I use the Baggage Handling Company for my large suitcase, so I'm travelling to the dock with just a small rucksack on my back as hand luggage. Just show your e ticket at the gate. Coming home it's even easier; get off early, give your suitcase to the Baggage handling Company staff, and walk to the station in time for an early train home.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, john watson said:

Regards John

Thanks John,

that's the kind of thing that I was concerned about.

It seems from what I've read everything is geared up for car arrivals.

1 hour ago, Adegb said:

Thanks John,

that's the kind of thing that I was concerned about.

It seems from what I've read everything is geared up for car arrivals.

Seriously,Johns scenario was unique,the ship was not there.You will have no problem.We just walked thru with no problems.

• Like 1

I'm always quite saddened when I see people walking to the cruise ship, luggage trailing behind them. You often pay thousands for a cruise and then try to save a fiver by walking to the ship, doing no end of damage to your shoulders and your luggage wheels. From Holiday Inn, it's a bit of a no-brainer I suppose if you're sailing from City and can get accross the road from the hotel, but any of the others, just don't do it. Take advantage of the shuttles. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ScotchBoy said:

I'm always quite saddened when I see people walking to the cruise ship, luggage trailing behind them. You often pay thousands for a cruise and then try to save a fiver by walking to the ship, doing no end of damage to your shoulders and your luggage wheels. From Holiday Inn, it's a bit of a no-brainer I suppose if you're sailing from City and can get accross the road from the hotel, but any of the others, just don't do it. Take advantage of the shuttles. 

If you read my post,you can't get across the road.That gate is shut.Someone correct me if I'm wrong.It was the boat show setting up when we were there.

33 minutes ago, ScotchBoy said:

1 hour ago, ScotchBoy said:

I don't walk to the terminal to save money, I walk for the exercise

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

If you read my post,you can't get across the road.That gate is shut.Someone correct me if I'm wrong.It was the boat show setting up when we were there.

It wasn’t shut last year when I went through it.

55 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

It wasn’t shut last year when I went through it.

Ah,but did you come back out in handcuffs,lol. Seriously,you are the first to say this.I stand corrected if this the norm.other people have confirmed my experience.We need more posters to relate their experience.

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Ah,but did you come back out in handcuffs,lol. Seriously,you are the first to say this.I stand corrected if this the norm.other people have confirmed my experience.We need more posters to relate their experience.

The gate behind the Holiday Inn was open regularly until fairly recently but now seems to be closed most of the time. 

There were ongoing issues with the main gate further up (10 I think) where lorries kept driving into the listed walls making them unsafe, so this gate was open then. 

Andy 

9 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I was departing from Mayflower and if I’d realised how long it would take to get there from the gate I wouldn’t have bothered, but the ship looked so close 🤦‍♂️. My advice would be to get a taxi.

4 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I was departing from Mayflower and if I’d realised how long it would take to get there from the gate I wouldn’t have bothered, but the ship looked so close 🤦‍♂️. My advice would be to get a taxi.

Yeah,the Mayflower is quite a bit further up.I think it was opposite the gate we entered after our trek.We then had to go back on ourselves to get to City terminal.