ANYONE IN VENICE DURING STORM

Caroldoll

We were in Venice years ago during aqua alta but it was not as severe as the pictures this time from Venice.  The gondolas near San Marco were all over the walkway and tables were set up as walkways.   We were staying on Guidecca and a boat sunk in our condo complex.  Despite all that, the vaparettos were running and people were moving about.  Praying that there is not too much damage to my favorite city.    

BBC has been covering this current situation over the past few days.  Severe flooding, to include crypts at St. Marks.  The videos are striking.  People up to, and over their knees in water when walking (wading) in the Square.  

What a contrast to our April, 2017 visit aboard Explorer.  

Reports are that this situation has been exacerbated due to recent dredging to deepen the main entrance to Venice to allow larger cruise ships' entry.  Now, erosion and heavier than usual rains are washing away the banks around that channel, allowing a heavier water volume to intrude into the city.  

This situation will put added pressure on authorities to restrict cruise ship entry to the city-center area.

GOARMY!

21 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

Reports are that this situation has been exacerbated due to recent dredging to deepen the main entrance to Venice to allow larger cruise ships' entry.  Now, erosion and heavier than usual rains are washing away the banks around that channel, allowing a heavier water volume to intrude into the city.

I have been watching all this on Swiss TV - haven't seen any reference at all to dredging and its effects.  Only to global warming creating a more "tropical" climate in the Mediterranean.  That is what the Mayor of Venice said the other day.   Also the locals who were shown on TV were angry that the tide barrier has not been finished...

Could be all of these I suppose.

(We were lucky - we had planned a weekend in either Florence or Venice for my husband's birthday last weekend.  We chose Florence but could easily have gone to Venice - free hotel rooms in either.  The people of Venice were not so lucky)

6 hours ago, GOARMY said:

What a contrast to our April, 2017 visit aboard Explorer.  

GOARMY!

Is it possible we were on the same cruise and missed each other, or did you board in Venice?  We sailed April 9-19, 2017, Barcelona to Venice...

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Is it possible we were on the same cruise and missed each other, or did you board in Venice?  We sailed April 9-19, 2017, Barcelona to Venice...

Aha! That's where we (DeepFreeze63 and DW) met UUNetBill in Compass Rose during April 2019. Mary and I sailed with a group from our TA from Miami to Venice. Had a wet, cold excursion day in Venice before disembarking BUT NOTHING like the recent flooding.

To several above:  

Looks like we were all in the same boat back in 2017.  We boarded in Miami in March for the first leg to Barcelona; then stayed aboard to Venice.  Still recall the sail-in to Venice that early morning.  Silent, just making headway in the Canal so as not to cause a wake. 

Now, Splendor in less than four months.  

GOARMY!

3 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

Aha! That's where we (DeepFreeze63 and DW) met UUNetBill in Compass Rose during April 2019. Mary and I sailed with a group from our TA from Miami to Venice. Had a wet, cold excursion day in Venice before disembarking BUT NOTHING like the recent flooding.

indeed.  As I recall, you caught me walking through Compass Rose and stopped me to ask, “This may sound odd, but do you like scotch?”   Imagine my relief when I found out it was due to an old profile photo, not the rumors going around the ship.   😜🥃

2 hours ago, GOARMY said:

To several above:  

Looks like we were all in the same boat back in 2017.  We boarded in Miami in March for the first leg to Barcelona; then stayed aboard to Venice.  Still recall the sail-in to Venice that early morning.  Silent, just making headway in the Canal so as not to cause a wake. 

Now, Splendor in less than four months.  

GOARMY!

Huh.  I don’t know how we managed to not have a drink together at least.  Perhaps my reputation really does precede me after all!

Last sail in to Venice we had was on the Mariner in DENSE fog.  Captain Felice said later that had he and the pilot known how dense it would be - they would have waited. We could hear children playing football on the quai.  but not see them.  AND this was the "Ash cruise" when the Icelandic volcano erupted and a couple of hundred Regent passengers were taken by Regent to Padova for a week until the airports opened.

For us - no worries.  We rented a Hertz car (pre-booked months before) and drove home in 5 hours.  We were the lucky ones...

GO ARMY - 119 days to go until we board in San Diego!!!  Look forward to seeing you then.

17 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Last sail in to Venice we had was on the Mariner in DENSE fog.  Captain Felice said later that had he and the pilot known how dense it would be - they would have waited. We could hear children playing football on the quai.  but not see them.  AND this was the "Ash cruise" when the Icelandic volcano erupted and a couple of hundred Regent passengers were taken by Regent to Padova for a week until the airports opened.

For us - no worries.  We rented a Hertz car (pre-booked months before) and drove home in 5 hours.  We were the lucky ones...

GO ARMY - 119 days to go until we board in San Diego!!!  Look forward to seeing you then.

We were on the same cruise.  It was our first with Regent (other than the Paul Gauguin).  Looking forward to seeing you in March!

Back to Thread topic:  

Have monitored PBC and BBC reports this PM.   Three days of heavy rains and tides.  More flooding at Venice.  Volunteers are currently removing books from historical libraries to salvage and prevent further damage to these priceless documents.  Causes are numerous from natural (Climate change and weather patters); to human-related corruption which has misappropriated funds intended for water remediation to other purposes--like human foibles.  Another flooding of the Plaza and St. Marks.  

We are planning another return to the Venice area in 2021.  That itinerary will take into account the above reality.  Certainly, not anticipating either arrival or departure from Venice will involve the Canal.

Regards.  GOARMY!

So sad, we have a cruise scheduled for next October and are worried about going to Venice.  It was one of my last wishes to go there for 5 days before the cruise.  We know now that we may not be able to manage this.  We have talked to Regent and their hotel is out of the flood zone, but that is not what we wanted.  Nevertheless, we will not be cancelling.  We will double book the hotels and pay what it takes and hope for the best.  We will be flying in on a private plane and so far we have no knowledge of problems at the airport.  Venice is beautiful and romantic and it will be sad to miss it.  

Why not check the tide tables and the moon for next October?  You cannot do anything about a huge depression area that is over most of western Europe right now but you could see if there are likely to be high tides AND a full moon which normally makes for higher tides.

There was no acqua alta in Venice this October.  That doesn't mean there won't be next. 

Regent (I think) uses the Hilton Molino Stucky which is on an island off the main island of Venice.   You should look at getting a hotel in Padova as a back up perhaps.  Book a room that you can cancel up to the day before and then see what is happening with the tides a couple of days before you travel.  The Marco Polo airport did not flood this time around (at least did not as far as I have heard...and I was in Italy when the acqua alta started.

Above all - don't buy trouble!   No sense in starting to worry now about what might - or equally well might not - happen 11 months from now!

I have always admired your posts!  Feel honored that you answered one of mine.  I simply don't know how to check on the acqua alta.  Wish I did.  

Venice is near and dear to my heart, so I am holding my breath that this won't happen next year, and hoping for their sake too.

I plan on booking the Danieli as well as the one that Regent uses.  That way I will be covered.

If you come across a chart on acqua alta, we will be leaving the last week in October.  

I suspect the Danieli may be more liable to flooding than the Hilton.

obviously what has happened over the last few weeks is terrible, but it is still comparatively rare. It has been over 50 years since it was as bad as the last few weeks. I have been to Venice many times in the winter months and have never seen more than a small puddle on Piaza San Marco. 

As Hambagahle says the weather across Western Europe from Ireland down to the Med has been extremely wet over the last few weeks. Next year we could as easily be in near drought.

• Like 1

I really want to stay near the square.  Last year we stayed at the Gritti and we walked to the square two to three times a day.  I wanted to be close to what we love which is to sit and hear the music.  We also like to walk to the Rialto, and it is partway there.  I have been searching the net and can't find the tides for sure, or I don't understand how to read them.  We were also there last year and like you said, there were only a few puddles.  Not enough to bother one.  I feel in my heart I have to go for it!  

Thanks for the kind comments Carolldoll!  Really appreciated.

The Danieli is on the riva degli Schiavoni, facing the water, and that whole area was flooded this past week.   Gritti was also flooded - which apparently is unusual because the local press here made something of it!  The Piazza San Marco was not only flooded - up to table height - but it was closed by the local authorities.  No matter where you stay if San Marco gets flooded you either won't want to or won't be allowed to go there!

Padova is on the mainland, a lovely town in the Veneto.  Under 30 mns by train from Venezia SL station.  And would be a really good back up because if there is acqua alta and sightseeing etc in Venice itself is a problem there is a lot to see and do in and around Padova (beautiful Palladian houses in the countryside for one) and for the cruise you could simply take a train to Venezia-Mestre and a taxi from there to the port. 

Here is a link to the Venice Tourist Authority's site regarding Acqua Alta.  Tells you more than you need to know I think:

http://en.turismovenezia.it/Venezia/High-Water-Information-Centre-7442.html

You cannot plan on weather.  neither good nor bad.  So make your plans as they best suit you and deal with a situation when and if  it arises.  If it makes you happy to have some idea as to a back up - great.   But in Acqua Alta the Danieli is not a good option!

Thanks, so much.  You have always seemed to be a most pleasant person.  I will keep this site.

What I meant is that I will make reservations at the Danieli, which I know is right in the center of the problem and hope for the best.  I will also make reservations at the Regent hotel where there is not a problem.  Paying for both places, just to be safe.  If I see they are having these horrible tides, I will just go to the Regent hotel and skip the Danieli.  The embarkation is in Venice.  I am sad as it is hard for us to get there as my husband will not change planes.   I will just pray for the best, but will be covered.  I plan on checking out Padova, but losing Venice will be sad!  I do appreciate your help.  VERY MUCH.  Hope our paths will cross someday!

If your husband doesn't want to change planes why not fly to Milan (MXP), take a limo into town and get a high speed train to Venice?  

I am not at all convinced that the Hilton Molino Stucky would mean you escape flooding entirely if there is acqua alta though but in your place I would far prefer the Danieli and even more the Gritti if tides are normal.

Sadly the London Times has an article today about the current unusual pattern of the North Atlantic jet stream and predicts further stormy and wet weather for the Adriatic next week which will combine with Acqua Alta due then. The article predicts a very high risk of severe flooding in Venice next week. Very ☹️ 

Having said that I do want to emphasise the highly unusual nature of recent conditions. I appreciate the desire to cover the risk of being flooded out but to start booking alternate hotels almost a year in advance seems a tad unnecessary to me. Three hotels have been mentioned along with a love (totally deserved imho) of SAN Marco and the Rialto. The Gritti is geographically the most convenient for both of these two locations. Being on the Grand Canal itself then flooding is clearly possible. The Danieli, as Hambagahle has mentioned, is more prone to flooding as it is located on a comparatively low level walkway right on the Lagoon. The Hilton, not in the same class of hotel btw, does however have a significantly lower risk of flooding. It is located on the southern side of the Giudecca, along which your cruise ship will leave or arrive in Venice. The harbour walls here are much higher than on the Lagoon or the Grand Canal. If the Hilton floods then Venice, as a whole, is in serious trouble.