"Live from Nieuw Statendam December 8 - 22, 2019"

Crew News

18 hours ago, Crew News said:

initial crew (includes room stewards, cooks, bar staff, etc.) for the new Ryndham will report to the shipyard seven months before launch and help to outfit the ship. 

Any news on when Ryndam schedule will be released?  

43 minutes ago, mocruzer said:

Any news on when Ryndam schedule will be released?  

Now that question is a real challenge.  I heard it's first cruise will be May of 2021.  I learned about the build activities from our Behind the Scenes tour guide who went through the process with this ship while living in a hotel in Venice for 7 months before moving to the ship for several more months prior to the first cruise.  Unlike this ship, the Ryndam will be staying in Europe for the summer season (so I have heard).

Thank you for all this great information, it has been most helpful. 
We are loyal Celebrity cruisers but are trying HA on 1/26.

Can you tell me on this leg of your cruise which nights are the gala nights as I think it’s the same itinerary as our upcoming cruise.

1 hour ago, mari10 said:

Thank you for all this great information, it has been most helpful. 
We are loyal Celebrity cruisers but are trying HA on 1/26.

Can you tell me on this leg of your cruise which nights are the gala nights as I think it’s the same itinerary as our upcoming cruise.

Tomorrow (Tuesday and Sea Day) is the first Gala Night with the second probably Friday (last Sea Day) (Will have to verify).  I will have all of the menus as well as daily activities on my website by the end of this month.

22 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Tomorrow (Tuesday and Sea Day) is the first Gala Night with the second probably Friday (last Sea Day) (Will have to verify).  I will have all of the menus as well as daily activities on my website by the end of this month.

That single piece of paper that you get - with the officers' pictures on one side - has the week's [whole cruise if longer] main entertainment and other special events listed. - also has the Gala nights indicated - on the other side. At least we were still getting that sheet earlier this year. It's on heavier paper - not the usual handouts.

Edited by Happily@Sea
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

That single piece of paper that you get - with the officers' pictures on one side - has the week's [whole cruise if longer] main entertainment and other special events listed. - also has the Gala nights indicated - on the other side. At least we were still getting that sheet earlier this year. It's on heavier paper - not the usual handouts.

Aha.  Although I did not get the aforementioned paper for my second week aboard, I did see that Gala Night photos will be taken on the last Sea Day.

Second Gala Night will be Friday, the last Sea Day.

• Like 1

Very appreciative of the info you’ve shared. My daughter and I are coming aboard 12/22. Wondering about The Retreat? Worth the money? Plenty of other locations onboard to catch some sun (without the upcharge)? Thanks! 

Edited by Juju1126

21 minutes ago, Juju1126 said:

Very appreciative of the info you’ve shared. My daughter and I are coming aboard 12/22. The Retreat? Worth the money? Plenty of other locations onboard to catch some sun (without the upcharge)? Thanks! 

I agree but you will be guaranteed a lounger with a Retreat cabana. Passengers have yet to realize that all of the cabanas/loungers overlooking the indoor pool are open to all and only a few steps from the NY Pizza & Deli.

I will be taking Retreat photos later this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Half Moon Cay started with a strong breeze and mild temperature.  It ended with a strong breeze and melting heat.

Breakfast in Club Orange was crowded as the new passengers explored their Neptune Suites perk.

After allowing the initial surge to leave the ship, I boarded the island tender to go to Half Moon Cay.  The upper deck was loaded shoulder-to-shoulder when I asked if I could go down to the first level to take photos.  To my surprise, there was only a handful of passengers there which enhanced my ability to wander to the best photo-taking spots.  Since passengers disembark via the lower deck ramp, I was the first one off the tender and able to get an unobstructed photo of the archway entrance to the island.  I was finally able to photograph the Lobster Shack and copy their menu. 

As I wandered throughout the dining area, I spotted a black chicken with two baby chicks that provided me a great photo opportunity.  Seeing the long line at the buffet, I opted to return to the ship for lunch.

For a photo of the ship, sit on the left side of the island tender.  There was no water for sale near the gangway. 

The cruise Disembarkation Form was in my mailbox after lunch and I opted for early disembarkation to catch my 10:50 AM flight.  With Global Entry and TSA PreCheck, I should have no issues.

I completed 10 Comment Cards with one recommending that all three pages (Daily, Available Daily, and Dessert) of the MDR and Club Orange be available on the Navigator page, not just the regular two pages each day.  The near immediate call from the Front Desk told me that my laptop was defective and that I should take it to the Internet Rep on Deck 1 for repair.  As a very computer and webpage-savvy passenger, I complied and spent 10 minutes listening to the Internet Guy trying to make a damaged passenger's IPhone work with Navigator.

As I explained my wish to see all three pages of the MDR menu, I was told that the Internet Guy was only present to sell internet packages and not repair devices.  We both laughed at how the Front Desk still doesn’t realize his real function and he suggested that I needed to contact the Dining person responsible for uploading the menus.  Since I am the only one who cares, I will save the issue for my online survey.

Dinner in Club Orange gave me a chance to check out the salt/pepper grinders for the presence of identifying white and black bands.  No bands were present leaving me the “grind some into your hand” technique to identify the contents of the grinders.  The prime rib was excellent.  Although entrée plates come from the kitchen, the Club Orange chef still ladles the soup, warms the bread, and dishes the condiments for dinner.  At breakfast, the chef does it all.

Miscellaneous updates”  Club Orange has fresh-squeezed orange juice, the ship loads 200 pallets of food each 7-day cruise through the onboard marshalling area, received an email from the Olympus camera user that shared my breakfast table last week, person behind me in the Front Desk waiting line noticed my CC lanyard (won in a contest this year) and introduced herself as a seldom-posting CC member, the ship does not drop anchor at HMS but uses azipods to keep steady, the front  Explorations Café sales terminal granted my Mariner discount on sodas today, internet speed is decent but sometimes requires my laptop to be rebooted to fix connections, Wine Stewards switch locations each week, laundry is still 9-hour service, a supervising Housekeeper was inspecting my Room Steward's work when I returned to my room after dinner, and Lido Market remains very efficient bringing beverages and clearing tables.

Tomorrow is the roll call Meet & Greet and a chance to connect names/faces with CC handles.

More tomorrow.

• Like 1

You probably already know this, but arrive very early for self-disembarkation if you want to be anywhere near the front of the line. We were on the 11/17 - 11/24 sailing and went down at 7:30. The line started at mid-ship and went past the forward elevators. Obviously, this can vary according to the number of people that have chosen this option, but I think it is becoming more and more popular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, 510picker said:

You probably already know this, but arrive very early for self-disembarkation if you want to be anywhere near the front of the line. We were on the 11/17 - 11/24 sailing and went down at 7:30. The line started at mid-ship and went past the forward elevators. Obviously, this can vary according to the number of people that have chosen this option, but I think it is becoming more and more popular.

My last Early Disembarkation in Vancouver in May found about 20% in the line were passengers with assigned disembarkation times later in the morning.  Unfortunately, nobody booted them from the line but allowed them to compete for taxis mwith those of us with early flights.

NLT than 7:00 AM is my rule but even earlier is better.  My advantage is that I know that the taxi line is not self evident here in FLL.

39 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Another chock full of info post, Roger. Thank you!

I believe my brain’s browser is on overload and is about to crash.

Are you going to bring one of those cookies home to J? Though I guess it would fall apart on the way.

The last time I attempted to bring a half-eaten ham sandwich through an airport, I was told that I would be arrested if I crossed the "line" forbidding any fresh food being brought into the US.  It took me two bites to become legal.  So, no cookies will accompany me back into the USA.

14 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The last time I attempted to bring a half-eaten ham sandwich through an airport, I was told that I would be arrested if I crossed the "line" forbidding any fresh food being brought into the US.  It took me two bites to become legal.  So, no cookies will accompany me back into the USA.

Gosh, totally forgot that rule! 

13 hours ago, Happily@Sea said:

Lovely tidbits to read while lounging on deck  😍 I'm too excited. Clothing packed, wait. Forgot my nightlight... lol ok heading off to the dollar store (where nothing is a dollar anymore) 🤨😎

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Another chock full of info post, Roger. Thank you!

I believe my brain’s browser is on overload and is about to crash.

Are you going to bring one of those cookies home to J? Though I guess it would fall apart on the way.

From your mouth (well fingers)........ LOL. Roger can be very thoughtful, but........I doubt it will happen....

Joanie

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

Bah Humbug!!  LOL. I still love you:)

Joanie

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crew News said:

I agree but you will be guaranteed a lounger with a Retreat cabana. Passengers have yet to realize that all of the cabanas/loungers overlooking the indoor pool are open to all and only a few steps from the NY Pizza & Deli.

Thanks so much for the info!! I also didn’t realize they were open to all. 
Loving your reports!

Denise😊

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crew News said:

Are you suggesting they are 'open to all' meaning you do not need to rent a cabana to sit in those loungers?

2 minutes ago, eculmone said:

Are you suggesting they are 'open to all' meaning you do not need to rent a cabana to sit in those loungers?

That is the case for both this ship and the Koningsdam indoor pool loungers overlooking the pool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Crew News said:

That is the case for both this ship and the Koningsdam indoor pool loungers overlooking the pool.

On Koningsdam I found the mezzanine above the pool with grouped loungers - separated by curtains that can be pulled for a bit of privacy - to be oppressively hot later in the day, with not a breathe of air moving.  Is it any better on Nieuw Statendam?  They were very comfortable in the mornings and on the shady side. And that was with the roof open. 

Smooth travels Roger and thanks so much!  m--

41 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

On Koningsdam I found the mezzanine above the pool with grouped loungers - separated by curtains that can be pulled for a bit of privacy - to be oppressively hot later in the day, with not a breathe of air moving.  Is it any better on Nieuw Statendam?  They were very comfortable in the mornings and on the shady side. And that was with the roof open. 

Smooth travels Roger and thanks so much!  m--

I have only experienced the mezzanine when the roof was open and there was lots of breeze even when the ship was in port.

3 hours ago, eculmone said:

Lovely tidbits to read while lounging on deck  😍 I'm too excited. Clothing packed, wait. Forgot my nightlight... lol ok heading off to the dollar store (where nothing is a dollar anymore) 🤨😎

Love your posts!  Have a GREAT time.  Hope you will write a detailed report sometime!  I'll watch for it.

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1