HAL which hotel in Anchorage

MudderBear

Am doing the HAL Noordham Alaska cruise/land tour in 2020.  It is my understanding that they use the Westmark hotel in Anchorage.  Unfortunately, it seems to get horrible reviews.

Do they ever put people up in the Captain Cook or any other hotels?  I will be staying for one extra day so I need to pay out of pocket for one night.  If the Westmark is really that bad then I might just do not only MY night, but also the CRUISE night in another hotel.  FWIW, we're staying in a Signature Suite onboard, so would that have any bearing on the hotel they use in Anchorage?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, MudderBear said:

Am doing the HAL Noordham Alaska cruise/land tour in 2020.  It is my understanding that they use the Westmark hotel in Anchorage.  Unfortunately, it seems to get horrible reviews.

Do they ever put people up in the Captain Cook or any other hotels?  I will be staying for one extra day so I need to pay out of pocket for one night.  If the Westmark is really that bad then I might just do not only MY night, but also the CRUISE night in another hotel.  FWIW, we're staying in a Signature Suite onboard, so would that have any bearing on the hotel they use in Anchorage?  Thanks.

I suggest you contact HAL Ship Services Department with your questions.

HAL owns the Westmark chain of eight hotels (but I've heard that the one in Whitehorse has been sold,  no loss), so if you're on a land-sea trip, you'll be booked at the one in Anchorage in all likelihood. Travelers on Princess usually go to the Captain Cook.

We stayed one night at the Anchorage Westmark in 2017, and thought it was very nice, although the room was not large. We were on the seventh floor and had a miniscule balcony with a mountain view. The hotel was clean and well-kept, the food in the restaurant was tasty and not too expensive (we're from California, so prices were comparable). The gift shop sold prepaid Post Office Priority Mail boxes that could be dropped at the front desk, a real convenience. We were there just before Memorial Day, and there was a moving tribute to fallen soldiers directly in front of the main doors.

I realize the recent earthquake damaged the building, but I'd stay there again, given the chance. 

5 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I had no issues with the Westmark in Anchorage.   Here's a couple of pictures of our room at the Westmark, it was larger than we expected.

image.thumb.jpeg.c4cf6b1c873cf42d7d6a2f4327918083.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4e6fa9db3ef866d9ca6b9bd783ec0994.jpeg

We had an identical room, and enjoyed it and the hotel...very comfortable!

If you do book your own hotel, I recommend the Embassy Suites.  It has become my go-to hotel every time I visit Anchorage.  It's really nice, clean, comfortable, and the nightly manager's special and free breakfast are excellent.  

Front lobby:

image.thumb.png.bf7a7649a177480db0f9cec93c6774ff.png

Thanks.  Embassy Suites is my "go-to" hotel when I travel to different cities for concerts or whatever.  I land around 7:00PM, so I don't think I'll do the Embassy as I would miss the cocktail hours. LOL.  I am holding a room at the Westmark...and I'm anticipating that's where HAL will put me for the second night.  I might also hold a room at Captain Cook and keep my fingures crossed.

I forgot to say that The Westmark experiences considerable damage in our earthquake last year and was closed for repairs for months. I assume they’ve updated the hotel, so maybe it’s better now? The best thing would probably be to read 2019 summer TripAdvisor reviews, since those came right after it reopened. 

We did the 7 night Yukon cruise tour, ending in Anchorage, and thankfully were placed in Captain Cook.  The Fairbanks Westmark was ok, Whitehorse and Dawson City were pretty run down.  Alaska is exploding with popularity, Denali Lodge expanding, so the odds of getting Westmark are likely decreasing.  I highly recommend staying downtown with all the shops and amenities.