Galveston's Adventure

RCCL Fan

I know Galveston is convenient for a lot of folks, but wonder how long they will be able to sustain the business with the same old ports?  We traveled on the Liberty out of Galveston 3 times now, to those same ports.  Yes, the Allure is a great ship, and we've enjoyed our cruises on her, but how long will people go JUST for the ship???

20 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I would think that Nov - April would be the high season as people flock to Mexico/Caribbean for winter vacation.

Correct, but the whole point of the new terminal was about increasing capacity out of Galveston.   I would expect another ship to be announced soon. I keep reading rumors of Radiance.

That would be cool, havent done her yet.

I thought there was talk of Jewel

3 minutes ago, fdthird said:

I know Galveston is convenient for a lot of folks, but wonder how long they will be able to sustain the business with the same old ports?  We traveled on the Liberty out of Galveston 3 times now, to those same ports.  Yes, the Allure is a great ship, and we've enjoyed our cruises on her, but how long will people go JUST for the ship???

East West rotations make for a nice B2B from East Coast 

FWIW, we're obviously jaded and been there done that. Lots of new folks might think Costa Maya is exotic

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fdthird said:

We stopped cruising out of Galveston because of the ships , will most likely return because of Allure , more restaurants, CK, better entertainment. Cheaper cost to get to port.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fdthird said:

A huge population within driving distance and a high percentage of those people have never cruise.  I think they can sustain it for many years.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

That would be cool, havent done her yet.

I thought there was talk of Jewel

Jewel is coming ! Short winter season December 2020 thru March 2021

Edited by ssb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

And what would be the best way to get from the port to IAH?  Uber, private car, shuttle????

We took Uber from IAH the night before our cruise and it was about $65 dollars for the trip.  Next time I'll sleep overnight near IAH and Uber first thing in the morning.  I paid a premium for the hotel and there really wasn't any benefit to getting into Galveston Saturday night.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

A huge population within driving distance and a high percentage of those people have never cruise.  I think they can sustain it for many years.

Interestingly enough, almost the same 500 mile radius population levels as Port Canaveral.

22 minutes ago, fdthird said:

Not me but I like variety.  But for many, they will only consider drive-to ports.  For example, Baltimore & Grandeur.

I live about 75 minutes from Bayonne & I know many that will only sail from there. How many times can people keep stopping at  Bermuda?

23 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I would never book my transfers with the cruiseline; that’s a great way to:

1. Waste a bunch of money

2. Waste a bunch of time waiting for 50

other people to load a bus. 

Grab an Uber, or one of the dozens of private car or shuttle services in the area. 

Plan ahead.  Uber XL - 3 ppl with luggage from IAH to Galveston - $80+ each way.  One hour plus each way.

Uber XL doesnt ask about luggage and shows up at the airport for a 6 person pick up - fits 6 ppl, NO LUGGAGE so we had to book (2) separate Uber XL.  (incoming Friday night, Outgoing Saturday after the cruise)

All I am saying - is plan ahead, and do your due diligence so you know what you are going to do.

Edited by marci4tony

2 hours ago, fdthird said:

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Lots of people never get off the ship already on sailings from Galveston.

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Not me but I like variety.  But for many, they will only consider drive-to ports.  For example, Baltimore & Grandeur.

I live about 75 minutes from Bayonne & I know many that will only sail from there. How many times can people keep stopping at  Bermuda?

Or Port Canaveral 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

We took Uber from IAH the night before our cruise and it was about $65 dollars for the trip.  Next time I'll sleep overnight near IAH and Uber first thing in the morning.  I paid a premium for the hotel and there really wasn't any benefit to getting into Galveston Saturday night.

We fly into hobby but do the same thing get a nice hotel by airport then get transportation next morning 

Hotels in the Hobby area seem to be much cheaper than Galveston so we are changing out plans to Uber from the hotel to the port on the Sunday we leave.  Thought Uber XL would fit 5 people with luggage but now am wondering.  We could always hold some on lap or floor.  This family cruise on Liberty is turning into a real headache.  We have figured the cost of what we are willing to spend on dining, fun things, etc. and are realizing it is cheaper to book a Star Class suite on any ship with a genie.  This is sure a learning lesson for us.

One question: Is getting an Uber after the cruise a difficult thing or will be not have a problem?

Thanks

On 12/18/2019 at 1:42 PM, marci4tony said:

Keep in mind, when it comes to Galveston, that the transportation between the Airport and the Port is riduc.  Book your transfers through the cruise line if you can.  It is a good solid hour commute from IAH 

Don't fly to IAH!!!   HOU is much much closer to Galveston.    I fly into HOU  when going to Houston always.

Almost everyone but united flies there.

20 hours ago, fdthird said:

Agree 100%.  We've been on 13 cruises. and 11 of them have stopped in Cozumel.  Whether we sail out of Galveston, FFL, Port Carnival, we always seem to end up there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

I would never book my transfers with the cruiseline; that’s a great way to:

1. Waste a bunch of money

2. Waste a bunch of time waiting for 50

other people to load a bus. 

Grab an Uber, or one of the dozens of private car or shuttle services in the area. 

Would not count on Uber.  Got off Liberty on Nov 3 and surge pricing was in effect. Uber to IAH was about $140 and there was a 20 minute wait minimum.  Ended up taking a taxi for $160.  When I cruise out of Galveston in the future, I will book private car service to IAH as it is about the same price as taxi.  

33 minutes ago, Ron Don said:

IAH has the advantage of nearly all of the airlines as a choice rather than just Southwest at HOU.

We always fly American to hobby , although I realize that many more cities fly to IAH 

Edited by George C

1 hour ago, Ron Don said:

IAH has the advantage of nearly all of the airlines as a choice rather than just Southwest at HOU.

Actually Hobby has more than you think.

America really only has 4 main airlines anymore

American, Delta, United, and Southwest.

All of them fly to Houston Hobby  except United.

Jetblue and Spirit are at Bush with United. 

But you have 3 major airline choices at Hobby, and the cost and time  getting to the port is less than half that of Bush

Unless you're flying in internationally or from Hawaii, Fly into Hobby, it just makes sense.

10 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Unless you're flying in internationally or from Hawaii, Fly into Hobby, it just makes sense.

It also depends on where you are flying from. I'm a bit of a snob and will only fly non-stop.

From New York, that leaves me JetBlue & Southwest as the only options. And JetBlue only has one non-stop flight per day from the NYC area to Hobby.  Not always convenient or affordable.

So, when Delta or United are the cheaper flights, I go to IAH, otherwise it's Southwest to Hobby.

On 12/20/2019 at 8:39 AM, jimmyjam1973 said:

Agree 100%.  We've been on 13 cruises. and 11 of them have stopped in Cozumel.  Whether we sail out of Galveston, FFL, Port Carnival, we always seem to end up there. 

Here is an option 

3E763623-49B6-44C7-B79F-1A40F96929F3.jpeg

• Like 1