Unlimited Drinks Package

nyc2pdx

I just got off the Norwegian Joy after my very first cruise. It was wonderful. 

question as I research other cruises and lines: one of the features I really liked was buying up to the premium plus beverage package on NCL. It meant I could order anything on the menu and not worry about the cost. Granted I am not a big drinker at any stretch but it was nice to have pricey glasses of wine and champagne. 

is NCL the only line that does this of the majors?  If there was a limit, I would always be thinking “how much is this going to cost”. So it was nice not to think about it, and try lots of different drinks I have not had in the past. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nyc2pdx said:

I just got off the Norwegian Joy after my very first cruise. It was wonderful. 

question as I research other cruises and lines: one of the features I really liked was buying up to the premium plus beverage package on NCL. It meant I could order anything on the menu and not worry about the cost. Granted I am not a big drinker at any stretch but it was nice to have pricey glasses of wine and champagne. 

is NCL the only line that does this of the majors?  If there was a limit, I would always be thinking “how much is this going to cost”. So it was nice not to think about it, and try lots of different drinks I have not had in the past. 

NCL's "Premium Plus" booze package concept is yet another benefit of that line's alliance with Oceania (i.e., O's $60 Prestige package, which includes the 18% gratuity) under the tutelage of FDR.

Just think of the non-package cost of a complex multi-spirit cocktail made with double pours of higher end booze.

Just a daily dose of two double Sidecars made with VSOP brandy and Cointreau or a double Margarita made with El Tesoro Anejo tequila often easily proves the value of "unlimited" booze packages.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

No, NCL is not the only major cruise line that has an option to upgrade to a higher than standard beverage package with unlimited premium brands - others do as well. 

But in any case the beverage packages are a big money maker for the cruise lines as most would have a break even to the customer at about 7-8 drinks per day every day per person, which includes the port days.  And most cruise lines require all in a stateroom of legal age to purchase it if one does.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

28 minutes ago, nyc2pdx said:

I looked at several, and they either had a $$ limit per drink, or limited the number of drinks you could have before they charged you.  

I trust that you will find less limits as you move from one industry segment to another. 

For example, on Oceania, the optional Prestige package includes unlimited booze (both amount and brand [except for several top shelf cognacs/single malts/etc.) and select "wines by the glass" while any bar or restaurant is open.

The cost is $60/person/day (which includes the 18% mandatory gratuity) and not everyone in the cabin has to buy it. 

BTW, if someone selects the basic booze package (wine and beer at meals) as their complimentary O Life perk, it can be upgraded to Prestige for $20/person/day including gratuity.

Yes rccl limit is 12 or 13 dollar per drink which covers 98 percent of drinks we normally pay a little extra for better wine but if I buy a 15 dollar glass I just pay the extra 2 or 3.

Just got off msc seaside yacht club, they give you a premium package good for drinks up to 12 , but we upgraded to premium plus for 17 a day and that includes everything including over 20 year scotch like Johnny Walker blue and 21 year old chevis regal 

1 hour ago, George C said:

Yes rccl limit is 12 or 13 dollar per drink which covers 98 percent of drinks we normally pay a little extra for better wine but if I buy a 15 dollar glass I just pay the extra 2 or 3.

Well then I guess I'll modify my comment from "no $ limit" to that which you indicate.  But since the vast majority of the premium beverages fall within that pricing range with such a small minority above that, it is very generous I guess for those who would purchase it.  And the quantity is unlimited.

I will also add that to increase to a premium plus package at $119 pp per week over the included premium package (which you are certainly paying for in the Yachtclub premium fare) for the occasional highest end drinks would I think more than cover that and is IMO a pretty high price to pay.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

43 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

....I will also add that to increase to a premium plus package at $119 pp per week over the included premium package (which you are certainly paying for in the Yachtclub premium fare) for the occasional highest end drinks would I think more than cover that and is IMO a pretty high price to pay.

It's always a head-scratcher for me as to why folks who do the ship-within-a-ship just don't switch to premium/luxury lines, particularly when the former often has a higher "net daily rate" cost (e.g., non-inclusions like airfare/air credit). In more than a few cases, the mass market "bottom line" is higher (particularly on short Caribbean cruises).

A couple of years back, there was a thread on CC where quite a few folks compared the cost of several mass market balcony cabins on similar intercontinental "fly to" itineraries to a premium line that included air fare as well as including (at no added cost) all of the usual purchases for which many mass market ships would charge extra (e.g., internet, beverages, booze, tours, specialties)

Other than situations where there's a family full of kids needing an amusement park and/or folks craving a Las Vegas experience, I just can't see the value of ship-within-a-ship.

Anticipating that someone will suggest itinerary, please be reminded that antiquities, beaches, landmarks remain the same no matter which ship takes you there.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It's always a head-scratcher for me as to why folks who do the ship-within-a-ship just don't switch to premium/luxury lines, particularly when the former often has a higher "net daily rate" cost (e.g., non-inclusions like airfare/air credit). In more than a few cases, the mass market "bottom line" is higher (particularly on short Caribbean cruises).

A couple of years back, there was a thread on CC where quite a few folks compared the cost of several mass market balcony cabins on similar intercontinental "fly to" itineraries to a premium line that included air fare as well as including (at no added cost) all of the usual purchases for which many mass market ships would charge extra (e.g., internet, beverages, booze, tours, specialties)

Other than situations where there's a family full of kids needing an amusement park and/or folks craving a Las Vegas experience, I just can't see the value of ship-within-a-ship.

Anticipating that someone will suggest itinerary, please be reminded that antiquities, beaches, landmarks remain the same no matter which ship takes you there.

The cost on msc YC was very reasonable, I am sure lots less than premium. I would consider luxury lines , doubt they have the entertainment offered on larger ships which Is a big factor for us. Similar celebrity ships that offer ship within a ship cost about double what YC cost. The other thing on the ship within a ship for YC was nothing was crowded , no problem getting a very comfortable chair by the pool, service in lounge was amazing with live music. 

3 minutes ago, George C said:

The cost on msc YC was very reasonable, I am sure lots less than premium. I would consider luxury lines , doubt they have the entertainment offered on larger ships which Is a big factor for us. Similar celebrity ships that offer ship within a ship cost about double what YC cost. The other thing on the ship within a ship for YC was nothing was crowded , no problem getting a very comfortable chair by the pool, service in lounge was amazing with live music. 

The devil is in the details and value depends a lot on objectives like airfare and subjectives like food quality. 

For example, included airfare (on some premium/luxury lines) for Intercontinental flights at $1500+\- per person (economy) is more of a price equalizer than many folks consider.

I can't imagine drinking that much to make one of these packages remotely a break even.

But then again I don't cruise to get hammered every day, I cruise to visit places that I might not get to on land based trips.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ducklite said:

I can't imagine drinking that much to make one of these packages remotely a break even.

But then again I don't cruise to get hammered every day, I cruise to visit places that I might not get to on land based trips.

Believe me, I am not a drinker-on land, If I finish a bottle of wine over a couple of days, I am shocked.  But, a couple of glasses of champagne, and a cognac after dinner, along with a glass of wine at lunch and maybe two at dinner...I felt like I got my money's worth.  

Sitting in the Haven, I was drinking Pimm's Cups (which was great once I got a bartender who knew how to make them)...I could easily put back a few while sitting and reading for the afternoon...and never felt it.  I know I got my money's worth, and I loved that I could order whatever I wanted...including glasses of wine I would never pay to drink on shore.  I also got a chance to try different drinks I wasn't sure I would like...if I didn't like it, I just ordered something else.  It was a great vacation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ducklite said:

Really depends on the quality of booze you drink.

As I mentioned earlier, a high end double "side car" without a package could easily cost $25-30. BTW, given the usual (and meager) 1 oz "single" pours on most ships, ordering a double gets you an actual cocktail. Have one drink pre or post dinner and a glass of wine with your evening meal, plus add the approx 18% gratuity, and you're already ahead of the cost of any cruise line's daily package rate. 

That said, if you drink single shot cocktails of "well" swill, I agree that the value of any package  is questionable.

And for those who think that all qualities of (fill in the blank type) booze are the same, use that package to do some blind taste testing. Start with Bombay gin vs Bombay Sapphire gin. Or try Cuervo Gold tequila next to El Tesoro Reposado.

Like Maker's Mark bourbon? Compare that to Maker's Mark 46 or, better still, Maker's Mark "cask strength."

As mentioned earlier, you have to do the math and decide if you can drink that much. What some may forget though, is the Premium Beverage Package isn't just alcohol....at least not on Celebrity. Every bottle of water, soft drink, coffee, smoothie is covered. I'm really only looking to break even. I have peace of mind during my trip that I can have a fancier cocktail or higher end whiskey and not have sticker shock when it comes time to settle up.

• Like 3

For top shelf liquor msc can not be beat there give you a once and a half pour and will give you doubles , they offered several XO cognacs , upper end champagne and really high end scotch , slightly disappointed by red and white wines but equal to other lines packages. I really appreciate the higher end stuff and do drink it at home on occasions but this is limited since some of them cost 200 a bottle.

On 12/25/2019 at 9:32 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Not so with the premium packages with RCI or Celebrity - unlimited drinks and no $ limit.

RCI has a per drink limit.  VERY few bar drinks are over the limit.  A number of wines by the glass are over the limit.

If you pick something over the limit, you pay on the amount over the limit, plus 18% gratuity.

So if limit is $14, a $16 glass of wine is $2 plus 36 cents.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 1:51 PM, ducklite said:

Fresh squeezed OJ with breakfast.  A nice latte or cappucino.

Then 2 - 3 bottles of water during the day.  A couple of drinks by the pool.  A cocktail before dinner, a glass of wine with dinner, and a fun frozen drink for the show.

With this, if you got any deal at all on the package, you are well ahead.  Have a drink or two more during the day and a night cap or second glass of wine, and you are well ahead.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 4:16 PM, SRF said:

Fresh squeezed OJ with breakfast.  A nice latte or cappucino.

Then 2 - 3 bottles of water during the day.  A couple of drinks by the pool.  A cocktail before dinner, a glass of wine with dinner, and a fun frozen drink for the show.

With this, if you got any deal at all on the package, you are well ahead.  Have a drink or two more during the day and a night cap or second glass of wine, and you are well ahead.

The line we cruise with includes juice, coffees and teas (including specialties), soda, etc. 

We sail port intensive cruises with very few or no sea days.  We don't typically return to the ship for lunch, we prefer to eat local food in the ports.  We typically get off right after breakfast and return either during tea or in time to change for dinner.  We're typically exhausted and in bed within an hour or so after finishing dinner.  Typically we might have a pre-dinner cocktail and a glass or two with dinner--and we prefer to order a bottle as the quality is much higher with the by the bottle offerings.  We simply aren't on the ship enough to have more than that.

On 12/25/2019 at 8:16 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Really depends on the quality of booze you drink.

As I mentioned earlier, a high end double "side car" without a package could easily cost $25-30. BTW, given the usual (and meager) 1 oz "single" pours on most ships, ordering a double gets you an actual cocktail. Have one drink pre or post dinner and a glass of wine with your evening meal, plus add the approx 18% gratuity, and you're already ahead of the cost of any cruise line's daily package rate. 

That said, if you drink single shot cocktails of "well" swill, I agree that the value of any package  is questionable.

And for those who think that all qualities of (fill in the blank type) booze are the same, use that package to do some blind taste testing. Start with Bombay gin vs Bombay Sapphire gin. Or try Cuervo Gold tequila next to El Tesoro Reposado.

Like Maker's Mark bourbon? Compare that to Maker's Mark 46 or, better still, Maker's Mark "cask strength."

I drink top shelf vodka and club, or really top shelf vodka neat at -20F with a whiskey stone.  My current favorite is a marvelously creamy potato vodka I brought back from Poland that isn't exported.  I completely agree that there is a huge difference in quality.  If my choices are along the lines of Smirnoff or Deep Eddy, I'll just have a plain club soda, thanks.

On the line I sail on, I'd need to drink double what you are suggesting to hit the daily cost of the package.

On 12/25/2019 at 5:42 PM, txflood33 said:

As mentioned earlier, you have to do the math and decide if you can drink that much. What some may forget though, is the Premium Beverage Package isn't just alcohol....at least not on Celebrity. Every bottle of water, soft drink, coffee, smoothie is covered. I'm really only looking to break even. I have peace of mind during my trip that I can have a fancier cocktail or higher end whiskey and not have sticker shock when it comes time to settle up.

^ this. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 5:42 PM, txflood33 said:

And, for many (not all) cruisers, herein lies the reason why premium cruise lines provide a "sweet spot" (and greater value) often more so than both luxury and mass market carriers. 

On premium lines, some of the most popular mass-market add-ons (e.g., non-alcoholic beverages, internet, even specialty restaurants) are included in the base price. Our preferred premium line even includes airfare or an air credit as well as a choice of amenities (e.g., SBC or tours or booze). That there's personalized value choices is where premium lines shine.

That luxury lines may include all of these items promises convenience but it comes at a fixed price jump of much higher cabin cost whether you want the perks or not.

So, IMO, as far as quantitative measures go, most cruisers are faced with nickel/diming on a mass market ship, perks flexibility on a premium ship and "one size fits all" on the luxury line.

What surprises many folks when they do the real math (i.e., the "net daily rate" of all required and optionally chosen cruise related expenses [door to door]) in comparisons, is that the right itinerary on the right premium ship may be no more expensive than the mass market offering and considerably less expensive than the luxury one. 

And we haven't even addressed the quality parts (e.g., food, service, cabin amenities, crew/space ratio) of the equation where premium/luxury lines often overlap while mass market ones lag behind - so much so that some of them have found it necessary to adopt a "ship within a ship" concept to address their shortcomings (at considerable extra cost to passengers who choose that option).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And we haven't even addressed the quality parts (e.g., food, service, cabin amenities, crew/space ratio) of the equation where premium/luxury lines often overlap while mass market ones lag behind - so much so that some of them have found it necessary to adopt a "ship within a ship" concept to address their shortcomings (at considerable extra cost to passengers who choose that option).

Cost was less on msc yacht club than suites we normally book on rccl or celebrity, cost was just over 2k each, so I definitely do not consider that a considerable cost. we got a email for a premium line this week and cost started at 6k. We might consider Viking or other premium for next Europe cruise . What is your favorite line and ship for premium line?